Roon 1.8: Cannot select audio zone

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Linux Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Roon Server Build 756

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon Bridge build 571 on Raspberry Pi

Connected to Cambridge Amplifier with USB DAC.

Description Of Issue

When the amplifier is powered down the presence of the USB DAC is removed and hence it does not show up as a zone in Roon. This is OK and has always happened.

However since the last build when the amplifier is turned on, the audio zone is not showing up in the roon menu.

When I go to settings, audio - I can see the device listed, so roon is detecting it.

Resetting the core fixes the issue, the amplifier appears as a zone. However this is not an acceptable workaround to reset the core every time I turn on the amplifier.

6 Likes

I have exactly the same problem. Even worse - the core does not appear on the network after restarting.
Seems like a dodgy release.

1 Like

Yep rebooting the server fixed it. Agree very poor. Processes should be able to be managed without requiring a reboot.

1 Like

I have exactly the same issue. Hope they fix this bug soon, I don’t like having to restart my core daily after I switched off my DAC for the night and turn it on the next day. On version 1.7 I didn’t have to restart my core in weeks, which is how a Linux server should work.

1 Like

I got exactly the same issue here. The audio options can show the device but u cannot select it. It needs a reboot of Roon Core.

I have the same issue as well. I think it is device dependent. I am getting this issue with a Raspberry Pi 4 Roipeee XL combined with a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Dac. However, I have a Raspberry Pi 4 Roipeee XL combined with a SMSL m500 DAC and this issue is not present. I also have an Allo USBRIDGE Signature using DietPi combined with a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Dac and this issue does not occur.

On the devices that are working does the sound device in Linux dissapear when the DAc is powered down?

Looking in Linux the DAC sound device only exists when the dac is powered. I think that is probably what is triggering the issue in Roon. It is not handling the device disappearing and then reconnecting. In 1.7 I never had the issue with roon Bridge but it did occur with some squeezelite remotes that I have.I could see them connected to the roon server in netstat but roon wasn’t recognising them.

The problem occurs with Roon’s own Nucleus! At first I could power it off and on in order to select an audio zone, but that workaround has stopped working too. Quite incredibly bad work on Roon’s part, to omit testing on their own device! I wish they’d spent time on testing instead of graphics and the elaborate series of announcements.

I also have the same issue. Will try to restart the Core to get my system back up and running. I never had this problem before in 1.7.

David - to answer your question. Yes the devices do disappear from Settings - Audio when powered down. However, all the combinations that I mentioned above that are working- work again when powered up again. They also can be selected from the menu as an Audio Zone. The 1 combination of Pi 4 Roipeee XL and Pro-Ject Dac does appear again when powered up but cannot be selected from the menu as an Audio Zone.

Last night I did a backup of my Innuos Statement. During backup time, the Roon core can recognize my Soulnote S-3 dac even I turn it on/off several times without restarting Roon core. However, when the backup finishes this morning, I turn on my S-3 but Roon core cannot show it in the audio zone. Any idea?

Try turning on the dac and then restarting th core.

I lost my squeezelite zones for a few hours today. They dissapeared as zones. They came back without any intervention!

I had a similar issue. In my case I could still Group the lost audio device with something else as in the Group window it was still there. This is just an emergency workaround of course.

The point is, every time I turn on my dac, I need to restart the core to recognize the dac. In 1.7, the core can recognize the dac immediately when the dac is turned on.

Same problem here - Pi4 with DietPi as RoonBridge, Core running on Synology. Need to restart the core whenever the DAC was switched off.

Grouping the Bridge with another zone is indeed a workaround, but not a solution.

I am experiencing this too: audio zones are detected in the settings, but I cannot select them to play music from Roon. This is true for my RopieeXL as well as playing from my iOS device using the iOS Roon remote.

Now I am experiencing this issue with all endpoints that use Roipeee XL or DietPi. I stated earlier that I thought it was device dependent - this is no longer the case. This is a systemic failure and unfortunately should never have been released. The issues we are talking about in this thread are pretty basic to the functionality of Roon. I am not sure how this got released.

I have noticed that if restart the GUI where the Roon core is installed - all of these issues seem to disappear (I do not need to restart the box). I can now select audio zones from the various mobile, desktop and iPad clients that I have.