Roon 1.8 does not see local folders on Linux ZFS drive [Resolved]

NixOS, which doesn’t follow the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. In the Roon package for Nix, which I maintain, I export PATH with all the necessary dependencies for it: nixpkgs/default.nix at a391ccb24abe0f376344c2f196d937704a607a7c · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub

I suspect even if I could get it to find mount.cifs it would still fail since I don’t run Roon as root, but as a non-privileged user (for obvious reasons)

What, you don’t run an unsecured and unauthenticated .NET application as root? That is crazy talk. All joking aside, this is exactly why I run it in a docker container with read-only access to data.

2 Likes

Well, you could do a dirty trick with sudo mount.cifs without password.

But again, why do they not just use PATH?

I have the impression there is a lot of legacy from Sooloos in the code. Which needs massive cleaning.

A clean rewrite using a language that is better at long term stability would be great. Golang, Rust, ObjC, C++. Anything but .NET/C#.

1 Like

Right, it also strikes me as a remarkably poor choice.

Moreover, it also tries to mount the share to /mnt which, for example, doesn’t even exist in my system! Why wouldn’t they just make a user mount in $ROON_DATAROOT?

2 Likes

@dylan @noris Are there any updates and/or estimates on this?

Bernard,
I just posted a similar problem. I have a Deja Vu + Mystique Basic. I spoke with Benjamin this morning & he said that 1 of his other customers was having similar issues. Is that you & has it been fixed yet & how.

I believe I am the one yes!:grinning:

Nice meeting you.

I have been out of town since Thu so I haven’t had the chance to try any possible Roon update if there is one.

Benjamin was planning to do tests asap but no news yet.

Cheers,
Bernard

Still waiting for a fix overhere…

Busy times for the Roon folks.

1 Like

Any update on the progress to correct this critical issue?

Thanks.

Another error that I have only now noticed: /dev/sd[0-9]* will never match.

It will always be sd followed by a letter and then by a number.

That makes this extra odd as it would mean Roon is completely broken on Linux, which doesn’t seem to be the case as there would be a lot more error reports/complaints if it were.

I really wish someone in the Roon team would come here and acknowledge this issue and give us some kind of roadmap/ETA for the fix.

Absolutely, this lack of response just sucks. With no way to downgrade, I’m effectively sitting on thousands of dollars worth of bricks scattered through my house. I mean, I guess I can use TIDAL and Qobuz, but I’d prefer to play from my local library and have my playlists actually work.

They collected log files and changed the thread title (added [Team investigating]).

It’s not much but I consider this feedback although a rough timeline or status update would be nice.

Although this is a nasty regression coming from a corner case of Linux file system setups, let’s give the Roon team some room to fix this.

I’ve no problems with giving them room to fix it, but this should have never showed up in a major release. ZFS root on Linux has had major pushes into the consumer base over the past few years, especially so with the Ubuntu releases. I’m not directly blaming the developers because bugs do happen, but I do have problems with the poor QA that leads to a showstopper bug like this showing up in a release.

I’d call it a one off, but the vast majority of the major bugs that came with 1.8 could have been easily caught with proper testing. If you’re going to support a platform, you absolutely need to be doing the basic tests with every major distribution and probable configuration. It takes time and effort, but it reduces the lost of revenue from cancelled subscriptions.

Instead they have a portion of their paying user base stuck without the software/service for which they’ve payed, and for an extended period of time. If this were a free software/service, I’d rage a bit then shrug. But this is not an overly cheap piece of software to run, especially so for those of us who put out the chunk of change for the lifetime.

But yes, there is not much we can do other thank sit back and wait.

p.s. I come from industries where five nines uptime is the way of life, so my rage gronks are related to personal and business ideals.

Any progress on this issue Room team?

I have been out of music for a week and no feedback has been shared on the progress or plan for resolution.

Why not just reuse the 1.7 code for this part of the app?

I’m having the same issue! Using NixOS with ZFS as my host (and since NixOS’s philisophy is unsupported as per Latest Roon Server is not available for download on NixOS - #12 by Bernardo_Meurer_Cost - I run it in a ubuntu docker image)

Looking forward to a resolution to this, since I can’t really use 1.8 until it can load my music :laughing:

Nice to see someone else loves music and NixOS @Bernardo_Meurer_Cost

1 Like

Still not a word on this show stopper issue?

Pretty incredible…

Yeah, it’s been a week now that my system does not work.

@noris are there any news here?

Hello All,

I discussed this issue with QA today and the investigation is still in progress, I don’t have any specific updates I can share at this time but thank you in advance for your patience while we look into this issue further.

2 Likes