Roon 1.8 is great

Sometimes, the first 5-7 seconds of a DSD track would get completely garbled, when switching from a PCM or MQA track to a DSD track. This issue is gone with 1.8, which is awesome. (I use a Pro-ject Pre Box S2 DAC with a VitOS RPi front-end).

3 Likes

2 days on using Roon 1.8 and still a very happy camper, really solid update.

Could someone just point out to me where one now groups albums? For instance if I have Album 1 and Album 1 remastered 2019 they show as 2 separate albums. On 1.7 I would highlight both, the edit menu then would become available and I would choose group and voila they then will be stored as two versions of the same album. Cannot for the life of me find where to do that now on 1.8.

1 Like

I think you highlight the two albums in the same way as before, press the three dots next to “Play Now”, then select Edit, and the option to group them together as a single album should come up (or at least it just did for me).

Loving it so far. Super slick interface!

3 Likes

Thanks to the Roon team. What a lot of hard work has obviously gone into this. Really appreciative.

And another update today.

Well done!

2 Likes

Very pleased with the release. A few relatively minor things that I hope get worked out, but overall a very positive upgrade experience. I am dismayed at the vitriol used by many community members and I want the Roon team to know that many of us are appreciative of their hard work.

2 Likes

Yes, great release Roon team. Super impressed.

3 Likes

A very good job!
I would never switch back to 1.7

3 Likes

I love it. Great work!

3 Likes

What are they complaining about anyway? Reading hundred posts, most are about font sizes too small, purple not good on dark mode. Others are complaining about something they could not find in 1.8, even they are there, right in front of their eyes.

3 Likes

I am happy as well. There are some quirks, but who cares. Software development is a tough business. I maintain backups for all my devices and can always go back, in case something goes terribly wrong. Else I can come back here and post a bug report and treat it from there.

The “I WANT IT NOW, I WANT IT PERFECT” attitude is really disturbing. There is a simple truth in software:
a) do not update immediately.
b) always maintain backups before you update. Especially if you invested tons of hours of work in customizing your stuff.

Both is in the hand of each user. You do have a choice and you do have measurements to prevent failing!

And finally

c) if you really would like to be heard, maintain a tone that shows respect for other peoples work. And if you are upset, well then express it “I am upset”. But do not disregard your opponent entirely with “TOTAL FAILURE” “WHAT A MESS” “YOU DID IT TERRIBLY WRONG” and the like.

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s strange what expectations some people have. And also without understanding that “perfect” even if it would ever exist is highly subjective.

Some say Gen Z is the easily offended generation. This kind of experience makes me feel as if it’s simply a matter of what you get offended by. Seems other (older) generations can get very offended by software. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

I’m all for civility in discussions but sometimes exaggeration is a means to draw attention to something. Just as Roon’s marketing announcements have been. I think after the initial rants most people are discussing their problems and disappointments in a factual manner. A thread topic containing “massive failure” is as factual as “is great”.
We should come back to try to understand each other. There are as many opinions on 1.8 as there are use-cases by the Roon users.

3 Likes

As a new user I think it’s great, there’s a tone of stuff I like including the purple and overall aesthetics with room for plenty of improvement. I can understand why some people think it’s a massive fail though.

Hi to all,

TMO, v1.8 is a great achievement. There are some bugs to be corrected, missing functions compared to 1.7, and some room for improvement. But still, this v1.8 is great.

1 Like

Yes, indeed! Thanks, Roon team. Nicely done!

2 Likes

I quite agree.

My wife has little patience for complex technology; she just wants things to work. When I handed our iPad Air back to her after the v1.8 update, she went straight to the music and put together a great playlist for us to enjoy. For that to happen without hiccups or comments like, “where the crap is the ‘add next’ button??!” is a technological miracle. Well done, Roon Labs! :smiley:

7 Likes

I’d just like to add my thanks, did the upgrade to 1.8 today and it took a couple of minutes and working perfectly. All music/zone instantly available and still enjoying the music.

Thank you for portrait mode on iPads, vertical scrolling, and the new fresh new look :smile:

3 Likes

I absolutely adore all the snooty dismissive condescension from people who think that just because they like 1.8 and they don’t have a problem with anything, that everyone should just shut up and not voice any displeasure.

Track tags have been stripped out entirely. You can no longer, apparently, reorder tracks within a playlist. Roon had thus far maintained radio silence about such issues, as far as I’m aware, in spite of the clamor. Roon isn’t cheap. I spent a lot of time curating playlists and it seems all those hours might have been wasted. My time and my money are very valuable to me. People have a right to be upset when an update renders a product that they pay a lot of money for dramatically less useful.

Edit: so I was wrong about track reordering in a playlist - that feature remains. Someone, Karen, helpfully pointed out to grab the 6 dots on the left of the track and you can drag it to reposition it. I swear I tried that before but it’s working now. I do like the UI overall. It’s just this tagging removal is a very tough pill to swallow. I’m holding out hope it’s merely a bug, but it’s exactly the type of very obvious bug to what I consider a core feature that should have been discovered pre-launch

1 Like

Same here. I like the new version.
Dark theme with purple gets :+1:

4 Likes