Roon 1.8 – no sound while playing, Songs not playing at all, not core settings available

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP HS-453DX, 8 GB, 2TB SSD, Roon Core 1.8 (build 756) stable, QPKG-Version : 2020-07-15

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Fritzbox 7590, Netgear Switch ProSafe GS108

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonos-Speakers, Apple HomePods, Denon AVR-X4400H

Description Of Issue

I’m experiencing a bunch of issues with Roon on my new QNAP-nas. Installed the Roon core via app center today and nothing seems to work correctly.

1. Only very few of my 11000 songs are playing with sound, mainly the ones in flac- or mp3-format. All the aac-songs I bought from iTunes are muted (but displayed as playing) or refuse to play at all.

2. When I try to start one of this aac-songs while playing a flac for example, the roon remote or mac client stops responding, while the sonos speaker (i.e.) keeps playing the flac file. There is no other way to stop playback than using the sonos app by selecting another song from my sonos library.

3. The configuration settings for roon core are not available within the app. Whenever I try to open it, the screen says „Searching for Roon OS Core …“

4. Webdisplay via the IP of my nas is not available (http://…:9100/display/). Only roon lettrering is showing in my browser windows (Chrome, Firefox, Safari)

5. Streaming via AirPlay seems to be completely broken. I can use Sonos-streaming to reach my various WiFi-speakers but not Airplay over the same network.

I’ve tried a lot: uninstalling an reinstalling the Roon Core on my nas, deleting caches and paths to my folders, reindexing an so on. Unfortunately nothing would solve the problem.

This stream via airplay is muted.
The same song via sonos-streaming is audible.

There seem to be a lot of issues there and it is unclear to the reader how sperate or interlocking they are.
The AAC issue is probably due to QNAP making a mistake in their OS recently. They shipped the wrong version of the required codec package that won’t allow you to play aac.
This thread is about that.

Problem 3. What client are you using?

1 Like

Thank you for the link, I’ll go through it.

Problem 3. What client are you using?<

I’m using Roon Remote on iOS 14.4 / iPadOS 14.4 and the Roon Clieent for Mac on macOS 11.2.1. It’s all the same.

This is how it looks like:

This is fine and expected as you don’t have a “Roon OS Core”. Just don’t click on “Konfigurieren” unless you have one.

Also the expected behavior. Follow the guide to finish the configuration/use of your display:

Most likely related to the missing AAC codec. Try again after fixing that one.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the clarification. As for the missing AAC codec I’m afraid this is way out of my league.
I installed Roon server via the QNAP-App center and as far as I can see there is no possibility to replace ffmpeg in this package. I would have to install the whole thing manually.
To do so exceeds my horizon. At least I couldn’t find any drive through instructions. I’m more of a user than a coder :wink:

It’s a pity that this aac-issue with qnap-systems seems to be around for more than four months now – and the manufacturer has not been able to fix it yet.

The thread containing a new package and instructions was linked above by Ged. Click on the thread title to get there; start scrolling down until you come over the post with the new package linked; scroll a little more to see the post with more detailed instructions.

Seems like QNAP fixed a codec licensing problem (a potential or real legal issue) by no longer providing them. This is common practice. Don’t expect QNAP to bring them back.

1 Like

The thread containing a new package and instructions was linked above by Ged. Click on the thread title to get there; start scrolling down until you come over the post with the new package linked; scroll a little more to see the post with more detailed instructions.

Thank you once again. It worked! At least in part. Streaming of aac-files is possible now, even with AirPlay – but not to my HomePods. They are still muted while Roon remote is showing a playback.

There’s a couple of others with homepod issues so it should be looked at by support. Hang on in there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.