Roon Server Machine

Roon Core 1.8 running on Synology NAS

Networking Gear & Setup Details

All Ethernet connection with standard gigabit switch

Connected Audio Devices

HQP

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

http://192.168.1.248:9330/display/ on a Chrome browser running on a Mac connected to the same network as the core gives only the Roon text with a question mark. I already rebooted Roon core as mentioned in the other posts.

The black Roon page on the browser is OK as long as you didn’t start the display in Roon, but you should have the Display button in your zone menu like this

and I don’t know why you don’t. Try a different browser like Safari to see if it works with it

Nopes, as expected no luck. Roon just doesn’t seem to recognize browsers. Only Chromecast display seems to work.
Wondering if anyone from the product team would read this?

It works for me with Safari (edit: with 2.0), I tested this before my previous comment :man_shrugging:

Are you using any content blockers?

Can you try it with a different Zone?

Also, is that a Grouped Zone you are using? I see what appears to be the “Ungroup” icon of version 1.8 in your screenshot.

AFAIK, the Web Display needs to be set up for the Grouped Zone first before it will display, This is on Roon version 2.0:

1 Like

I don’t really know what that icon means.
And where can I group video zones? The Settings > Displays says no available displays when I’ve already Chrome, Safari etc instances open with the display URL.

What happens if you click it? I don’t have version 1.8 anymore, and there’s been UI design changes in version 2.0

This icon is related to HQPlayer being the active zone.

The playback stops. Seems it disconnects with the player; not really much to do with displays it seems.
So the issue is browsers running the display URL aren’t simply picked up by the Roon app.

Did you try it with another Zone? Perhaps it’s a limitation with the HQPlayer?

Yes; Tried with other endpoints as well. Roon web displays running in any browser aren’t being detected at all. Can anyone running Roon 1.8 perhaps check this?

Right, I forgot to add previously that I have 2.0

Do you have an active firewall on your Roon Server machine (NAS)? If yes, try with the firewall disabled.

Nopes. Guess chromecast display wouldn’t have worked if that was the case. This issue is only for the browser display.

Which then begs the question what is different for them? Maybe some configured Proxy?

If your Roon Server on the NAS works with Google ChromeCast devices but not with browsers, you should concentrate troubleshooting on the differences (DHCP vs. fixed IP; different DHCP settings; different vlan; …). It seems unlikely that the root cause is with Roon Server as it works with the ChromeCast. As you did not share any details about your NAS and network setup, I don’t see a way to give you better/more hints for troubleshooting.

Ah apologies; I didn’t because it’s a completely flat class C network, all devices connected to the same subnet via Ethernet, to the same switch.
So no VLANs, firewalls.

The way the Roon app picks up a chromecast device immediately, but not display browsers on the exact same subnet is difficult to explain in my view if Roon 1.8 has an issue with web browser displays.

I wonder how you are even able to use Roon without an internet connection (no router) also no WiFi network? Maybe some sort of malware or virus protection software running? Do you have a list of client devices available, including which ones you already tried and with what OS and browser.

Many people here, me included, used Roon 1.8 back in the days (including displays) without issue. AFAIK there were no changes to the display functionality when Roon 1.8 became “legacy”. If you say that display works with a ChromeCast dongle then it seems to function just fine and something else may block/prevent other browsers from working correctly. It’s hard to tell for sure without someone who’s still using 1.8 as second reference point but chances seem to be minimal that Roon is to blame.

Of course this whole subnet is connected to the internet; I omitted this detail as it looks like a given to me.
Looking at logs would certainly help, just wish I knew where to start.

Start here:

Timestamps in the logs are UTC not local time.

I’m not so sure about that as obviously your browser displays do not communicate back to Roon – so probably nothing in the logs. If so, then maybe look at the browser communication in the developer tools that come with current desktop browsers (I think all popular browser have them, sort of).

Hi @rhqp ,

Are you trying to stream to the display after opening the webpage that shows the Roon logo? The display won’t show up in Roon, unless you have your browser open to that page first.