Roon 1.8 will be Live on ….?

Big confusion here.

Wife 1.0 - clear.
Wife 2.0 - clear.
Wife 3.0 - clear.
Girlfriend 1.0 - I understand too.

But Wife 2.1?? Is that plastic surgery? :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m going to duck out here. Speaking about wives and girlfriends as pieces of gear is about my limit I think.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure my wife is well aware that she’s not a piece of gear, nor treated like one. My point - and clearly the humour didn’t quite come across as intended - was to answer your question regarding why people were hanging around in this thread if they were happy with Roon.

1 Like

I think we can all evolve. Assuming major life changes, and minor ticks along the way, I reckon I’m currently on version 1.8.12. I may upgrade myself to 1.9 at some point - who knows :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is Roon’s fault. They could have and should have killed this by announcing a target release date with their own comfortable margin and then revise that when necessary. But no. They prefered to provoke a frenzied mess on their own forum.

1 Like

David, I laughed. I don’t think you need to be sent to sensitivity training.

5 Likes

It’s not anyone’s fault except where people don’t accept Roon’s clear statement that they do not provide dates and it’s ready when it’s ready.
We can all speculate and discuss what we would and would not like to see. But we have no reason to get upset about a timeline that never was promised. As far as I see it, that’s the deal…

2 Likes

I see no frenzied mess. I was here when Roon tried what you suggest. That was a frenzied mess.

2 Likes

I absolutely hate this thread title. It gets me almost every time I’m scanning over things. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yes up there with MQA and Audiophile switch threads…
Lord help me look away and not click on these threads :flushed:

4 Likes

Every time I open this thread I expect to see the words

Roon 1.8 is LIVE NOW

I think @John_Claude got it right over the weekend.

but I guess when it is ready it is ready

Hi,
ROCK, my files stored on NAS. WhS, Windows home server, German edition, NTFS
R. Birkemeyer

Guess the first words I just saw on opening this thread.

Yep, Roon 1.8 is LIVE NOW.

Should have read the previous sentence, but the ALL CAPS grabbed my attention first.

2 Likes

Oops sorry David my bad :pleading_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
It’s happened to me several times as well

Mike

1 Like

No worries, I guess it will turn up at some point :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for getting back. So ROCK does not have problems to access networked folders with accented folder name, only struggles with accessing accented folders on locally attached drives. Hopefully, this information helps @support Roon to get a step closer in debugging this issue.

So what are the symptoms of accessing accented folders locally in ROCK? What do you mean by “struggles”

Fwiw, I had the exact opposite problem (ROCK couldn’t read accented folders from my NAS, could get them from my local USB drive). After playing with it, seemed like it was a more general SMB problem, which somehow Sonos managed to avoid because it could read them.

I personally decided it wasn’t worth the trouble to chase down since it wasn’t just Roon and I didn’t want to loose music in the future, used BulkRenamer to solve the problem on my NAS, copied everything again to my local drive, and then made a change in mediamonkey so that it would not write accents again when I rip new music. Need my Hüsker Dü. And Wagner.

1 Like

The symptom for me was:

• Roon successfully imports into library all albums with filenames both accented and not (meaning that I find both “Bill Evans Trio” and “José Gonzalez”, which are both the artists’ names and the exact folder names on my NAS
  • can play Bill Evan’s Trio just fine
  • when try to play José Gonzalez I get errors on every track

You can see in this thread that I tried to figure this out for a while and then fixed it with by changing my naming structure to avoid the issue; it’s not just a Roon problem, it’s an SMB problem in many apps, and I never want to silently lose music. File names are not that important to me.

Also, I wish I could figure out how to make this a new thread. We are getting onto a very different topic than 1.8 :slight_smile:

To be honest: I work in IT, but I don’t have the deep knowledge that a developer might have. I never thought about the umlauts (Ö, ü etc.), I just used them. The same applies to Spanish or Polish or Norwegian characters. I use them all in the folders and the track names. (José Gonzalez or, in a song by Kari Brmnes, “Nærme sæ et verdensherredømme”.

I think it’s because of the code page.

A quote from the Microsoft Knowleg base:
"Windows-1250 is a code page used under Microsoft Windows to represent texts in Central European and Eastern European languages ​​that use Latin script, such as Polish, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Slovene, Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian (Latin script), Romanian (before 1993 spelling reform) and Albanian. It may also be used with the German language; German-language texts encoded with Windows-1250. " Grade. ANSI code pages can be different on different computers, or can be changed for a single computer, leading to data corruption. For the most consistent results, applications should use Unicode, such as UTF-8 or UTF-16, instead of a specific code page. "

Will the contribution help? - I dont know :thinking: