Roon 1.8 - Zen DAC Audio Zone Keeps Dropping on Client Restart

Environment / Setup

Core version 1.8 build 753

iMac 2.5 GHz Core i5 running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 with 12GB memory.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple wireless Airport Extreme

Endpoints using Chrome, and Sonos

Laptop - Dell Latitude 7400 16GB Mem.

USB connected DAC - Ifi Zen DAC - Revision 5.3C, Driver 3.2 (Using ASIO driver).

Description Of Issue

Hello @vova

Roon 1.8 loaded without issue on my iMac, Windows 10 Dell Laptop, and iPhone XS Max. When running Roon on my Windows 10 laptop, if I restart the Roon client on my laptop, the Zen DAC audio zone is no longer available. I actually think I was using the WASAPI driver before the update, but cannot get that to work. The ASIO driver does work, but as mentioned it keeps disappearing. I need to shut down the core and restart it for the Zen DAC zone to reappear. If I change to Dark mode and restart, that audio zone is missing again. I don’t think the iMac is going to sleep and both the Core and Laptop are on a 200MB down wireless connection.

First question, is this a know issue? It is 100% related to the 1.8 Roon upgrade. I never had this issue before, and as I mentioned above, I’m pretty sure I was able to run the WASAPI driver.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks, Phil

Hello @PhilG ,

Does the DAC show up under Roon Settings → Audio but is missing in the Zone picker?

In my situation, yes, audio zone devices showed under Audio settings but I did not have 2 of my 4 devices as audio zones available to choose from. One of the missing zones was a Zen DAC.

I fixed by restarting Nucleus and all was well and the problem has not returned.

Hi @noris,

Thanks for reaching out. For some strange reason, it seems to be working as expected. The first day or two, when I restarted the Roon app. on my laptop, my Zen DAC zone was totally missing from what you’re calling the picker or Zone Selector on the Play bar (new name lol). See below pic of how it is currently configured.

Also, initially after the 1.8 install, my default of WASAPI was changed to ASIO.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks, Phil

(Updated)

I spoke to soon. Just came back from dinner and here’s what I found. The Zen DAC is no longer available to pick or select from the Play bar. I was not experiencing this issue in 1.7.

Hello @Stuart_Rosen / @PhilG ,

Thanks for confirming that the device is visible under Settings and apologies for the trouble! We’re working on a solution to this and will keep everyone updated here:

Hi @Stuart_Rosen,

I appreciate the update. I know you are all working extremely hard to review and resolve the outstanding issues.

I definitely appreciate all the help!

Thanks, Phil

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.