Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Hi Mike, thank you for responding, my digital library is on two multi tb raid units that give me access whenever I have a stable electricity supply, but yes will not operate through Roon without an active internet connection.

As did I - and Iā€™m really ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  about this change. The main reason I bought this software was to control my Bartok DAC to stream music from Qobuz and from my internal music library.

The notion of not being able to play audio from my internal music library because my ISP went down is absolutely absurd.

Further, I took a quick look at this ARC (which I donā€™t really care about that much, if Iā€™m travelling, Spotify or direct access to Qobuz is fine) and the first thing it did was complain that I had not configured my Roon server for external access.

Well - damn that ā€“ unless the Roon developers can confirm that they are top-notch cyber security experts, Iā€™m not going to expose a server inside my LAN to the outside world directly.

I didnā€™t check whether it will work over VPN (that would be fine) but I already know that I canā€™t run Roon from my Mac or iPhone when Iā€™m away from home through my VPN and that sucks as well.

I donā€™t know what Roon is trying to accomplish and of course since I paid for a lifetime license already, I donā€™t even have the option of refusing to renew if they donā€™t address the issue.

Roon - take care of your existing customers or your existing customers will start telling other people to avoid Roon like the plague!

3 Likes

It seems that everything has already been said, but not yet by me! :wink:

After a real odyssey to find the right software for me, the Roon test has already completely convinced me after a few hours. Thus, I have decided out of conviction immediately for the lifetime membership option.

So this is my first post here in the forum - as a ā€œlifetime rookieā€:

Like the rest of the community here, Iā€™ve been eagerly awaiting the big-name event and immediately installed 2.0 in anticipation of things to come. The move to 2.0 went completely smoothly and without any problems (Iā€™m running Roon Core on a Synology NAS).

Never say never - the next day there was a regional internet outage here in Germany (Telekom Germany - the top dog, so to speak), which I noticed because I couldnā€™t get 2.0 up and running.
A little later (with the internet working again) I found out via the community here that 2.0 basically doesnā€™t work without a running internet connection. Bangā€¦

I do not use any streaming services, my digital music collections have grown steadily over 2 decades and were maintained with great effort by me regarding metadata and personal comments, etcā€¦
If I had known a few weeks ago when I signed up for my lifetime membership which strategy change on the part of Roon is coming - I would not have made this expenditure with certainty.

Like many other users here in the community I feel now quasi ā€œtrappedā€ - eat it or leave it.
Not surprisingly, I went back to version 1.8 immediately afterwards. The announcement to maintain this version only until the end of the year I read with horror. So itā€™s only a matter of time until a legacy system that is no longer maintained will no longer run on current systems due to incompatibilities.

The feeling of riding a dead horse shortly after spending 700 bucks is hard to bear.

So I ask @Danny the decision makers at Roon to ensure that even without permanently available Internet the playback of our own locally stored music titles with Roon will remain permanently possible in the future!

Please make sure that this great software can continue to be used by the existing user base without such drastic compromises!

9 Likes

I think it will ruffle more feathers than you think for people with glitchy internet connections. Like I said elsewhere, even in Manhattan you can have service drop for a minute or two quite often (if you have Verizon non-Fios service).

Wasnā€™t this just for on-line gaming, not for the users own games?

1 Like

Why isnā€™t this thread showing in the Roon Software section?

Yes. A few people have. 43 votes since this morning.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/make-roon-play-local-music-files-w-o-internet-access/214998

2 Likes

Curious isnā€™t it?

Net result is it appears hidden. Whether itā€™s the slow mode or not.

I think itā€™s because this post/thread is set to Slow Mode. Iā€™ll bet it happens automatically via the forum software.

1 Like

Anyone on this thread. Are there Roon alternatives out there that donā€™t require an Internet connection to play your local NAS audio files? Iā€™ve paid the lifetime membership for Roon, but I now need a backup to scan my library. Someone mentioned MinimServer, but the point is, I need a media that serves locally regardless of the status of my patchy Internet.

Thereā€™s something strange happening with the forum that has taken mods and Roon staff by surprise. If you click on the ā€œSā€ you will see, on the top right of the screen, the thread notification bell. Mine had set itself to muted for all ā€œSā€ threads. Iā€™ve set it back to tracking. You can set it to watching, tracking or normal and the ā€œSā€ threads should reveal themselves!

Windows Media Player; Foobar2000; Audirvana Origin (more or less). And of course, there is always a jriver or two somewhere somehow!

This is my favourite bit of hyperbole on this topic so far :+1:

2 Likes

I really doubt that. We might not like everything they do, but the Roonies are not dishonest.

There was no post ā€œtaking creditā€ for slow mode, just an explanation that I had done so to calm things down and wondering myself if that was what had caused the odd vanishing acts this thread is doing.
Absolutely nothing nefarious and just as perplexing to myself as to your good selfs I assure you.

4 Likes

Sorry if I misquoted you Ace. Not my intention at all.
Your post said ā€œTo my knowledge it has not been removed or hidden although I did enable slow mode on it to try and maintain a degree of civility.ā€
I think you are using semantics to hide behind if you say your quote is not ā€œtaking creditā€ for the action you say you instigated, but all good mate :wink:
Aloha!

The post was neither removed nor hidden; it was merged (moved) into another thread. This is often done when the same topic is discussed in multiple threads.

Moreover, the OP can see this by visiting Activity under their profile.

Slow mode had no bearing on this.

Hi Sven

I agree 100%. I am a lifetime member and I hate that I always have to be stressed out with Roon updates. I strictly use Roon to listen to my own library. I love Roon but this will be a deal breaker. I live out of the US and internet can and does go down for a couple of hours and sometimes a day or 2. So 2.0 wont work for me. What they donā€™t seem to understand is that there are many situations around the world that will cause long term internet issues. So extremely disappointed in this change. I am working on an alternative, non as good as Roon. But Roon is kind of a dead goose now, so back to JRiver, iTunes or Squeezebox. It is a sad day indeed. By the way just had 2 big earthquakes this week that interrupted the the ISP so there was no internet for a day. That is the real world we live in. Take Care!

3 Likes

If you search for ā€œdoes roon work without internetā€ in All topics it is shown at the top of the search result?

1 Like

ā€œsound better than ROONā€, certainly does IMHOā€¦but this then becomes a strong recommend for the upgrade to 2.0 as you have will a serious music server and a convenient one!