Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Snark seems a tad inappropriate when dealing with paying customers; most of whom are extremely enthusiastic about your work.

1 Like

You might be surprised to learn that contrary the popular myth that the Luddites were a backward anti-technology group, they were more politically aligned against exploitation from land owners against what was then known as the commons.

Cory Doctorow has a great essay on their significance where he sheds light on how the myth of technophobic Luddites arose.

https://doctorow.medium.com/science-fiction-is-a-luddite-literature-e454bf5a5076

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree! I love Roon; I love the new capabilities; but I also want to be able to enjoy my local collection (with limits, even!) without an internet connection. Thanks for this thoughtful message.

4 Likes

this really ticks me off. just had hurricane Fiona go through and have no power or home internet. fired up the generator, my pc, and Roon to listen to musicā€¦a spinning circle. REALLY??? Roon 2.0 core will not start without internetā€¦are you kidding me? this is a paid app to manage my local music library. what part of local are we having a hard time with Roon? I am now listening to music on the just released new free version of Winampā€¦really, getting beat by freewareā€¦you need to fix this Roon or expect to lose a whole bunch of users. because Android updated Roon automatically, I had to upgrade my Windows 11 core to 2.0 or uninstall roon on my pbone and downgrade it. this is a major screwup. that said Plex is no better, as Plex server (Windows 11) does not work without internet either except on the pc that the server is loaded on. Just a final comment Roon before I start looking for something betterā€¦the internet does go down you know.

2 Likes

It was just closed; not on the roadmap, Danny said.

Hereā€™s a crazy idea Iā€™m surprised no one has talked about.

Set up a second at home Roon core. On the main core run Roon 2.0 so you can get all the updates and use Roon ARC. Use one license for both cores.

On a second at home Roon core, run Roon 1.8 Legacy (as long as it works). Switch over to this core when youā€™re home and lose internet access so you can play your local music. And yes, you would need an iPad or other device to run Roon Remote 1.8 Legacy I suppose??

Many of us already have this with a Nucleus or NUC, etc. and a Roon core on a PC or laptop. With a computer keyboard you donā€™t need another Roon control device.

I think it would be great if Roon would develop a ā€œRoon Liteā€ or ā€œSlim Roonā€ that plays local files only and doesnā€™t require internet access.

1 Like

@danny @gkoop ā€œNot on the roadmap?ā€. Why do they ask feedback? If they get valid feedback, they would be wise to listen. This seems essential to many users. Itā€™s about being able to use the program or not. And itā€™s not a complex issue. You want it or you donā€™t. If the Roon staff does not reconsider, they will loose some customers. Itā€™s as simple as that.

2 Likes

This is why I canā€™t commit 100% to roon. almost all of my listening is local music, I should not need internet connections to view and play my music. Thereā€™s a TON of storage on my core, why isnā€™t 95% of the data I see in the GUI cached? Grey out the search field with no internet connection (remote based search is another issue for a different thread).

I keep my iTunes library synced up with my roon library and if I was a betting person on which would be around in 20 years, people here might not like my bet.

2 Likes

I had the same thought this morning. A little unorthodox, and itā€™s another subscription, but would solve the problem.

Edit : not another subscription

That is crazy. Why stick with a hobbled 1.8 version that is also only temporarily working without an internet connection? Go to a completely separate system that doesnā€™t have ā€œtalking to the mothershipā€ woven into the core functionality of the software. For me, that is iTunes, and the Naim server system.

Sheldon

1 Like

You donā€™t need another subscription; just switch cores.

Hi @Sheldon_Stokes , thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™ve done too. I kept my iTunes library and any new music is added to the Apple music library as well as to the Roonserver. So I always have a backup if wrong decisions are made by either one of the companyā€™s (or if internet letā€™s me down).

Oh, right. I was envisioning having them run concurrently. Iā€™ve never run two cores, but if the internet goes out, is it possible to connect to another core or would it get stuck authenticating?

Good point. No idea. Probably not?

No, donā€™t get a second subscription. Just unauthorize one core and switch to the other. That is simple.

1 Like

Authorization/deauthorization most probably need internet access thoughā€¦

4 Likes

Connect your second core to hotspot long enough to do that. I do it all the time at mother-in-laws house using my Dell.

Danny, Why the required Internet connection when at home with our very own ripped library has zero to do with the internetā€¦unless of course there is data transmission to acquire data about what music we listen to, when we do it and how much we listen to what musicā€¦$$$$$???

2 Likes

Looks like even the option to express an interest through voting has now been closed. So not even hope it can be on the table any longer.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/make-roon-play-local-music-files-w-o-internet-access/214998/60?u=jeffn

As a lifetime subscriber, now without a lifetime provider honoring the other side, itā€™s unfortunate that Roon wonā€™t even notice when go elsewhere.

Iā€™ve tried not to be negative or inappropriate (I really loved Roon), but the customer service around this issue has been tone deaf and hostile. Very disappointedā€¦not just in the outcome, but more so in the approach of a company I expected better from.

10 Likes

I am not impressed with the responseā€¦

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/make-roon-play-local-music-files-w-o-internet-access/214998/60?u=badge

When Roon was launched it was a unique way to access and manage ones local music library - now, well not so much. I am not interested in finding workarounds or running another core on something other than my NUC if/when I lose internet connectivity.
Roon is free to go whatever direction they like, it is their company afterall, but as a customer I donā€™t have to support it either.

On another note, I downloaded a trial version of Audirvana last night and after listening for a while, I found it sounded better than Roon.

3 Likes