Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Hey Danny, Can you please do me a huge favor. As I cannot move to 2.0 due to our internet connectivity and I cannot go to Legacy as SGC i5 cannot take that update according to Andrew. Could you please mark my account so it does not bug me all day to update. I would really appreciate that. Thank you for your consideration. Ron

2 Likes

Is it just me, or is there something odd and rather off-putting about the responses from Danny on this?

1 Like

No it is not just you, they obviously designed 2.0 this way for a reason, perhaps @LarryMagoo is on to something…

2 Likes

Are you suggesting that Roon is selling our data to a 3rd party?

2 Likes

I am only quoting @LarryMagoo but it does make me wonder.

2 Likes

699usd lifetime membership for a waste bin.
This decision from roon to change the (my) use case is radical for me.
You destroy my membership :frowning:

2 Likes

Don’t get carried away with conspiracy theories. I think a big reason for the transition is that they are making all search queries on their remote servers. The previous versions had a local search and a remote search and that was a nightmare.

Nobody is paying to know what crap we old farts are listening to…

Sheldon

3 Likes

You mean, old farts with money to burn on audio?

2 Likes

Sorry looks like Danny did that since I posted the link. Does not sound like he meant to close voting from his statement but he did.

1 Like

Could this be because of this

I really hope this gets sorted out somehow, I do not even have major issues with my internet connection but I just want to make sure we all have possibility to listen our own music offline. Someone maybe likes to disconnect from internet occasionally and still listen music.

2 Likes

I don’t think the situation will change, I think it is what it is. Danny wanted it this way, it’s his baby.

2 Likes

After this stupid decision they should at least rename “Roon Core” to “Roon Core ARC (Always Require Connection)” :wink:

3 Likes

I’m glad I discovered where this discussion has been hidden after it was moved from the top of the forum to a generic category that requires scrolling nine topics down. It makes sense to bury the most popular discussion on the forum at the bottom of the page where it’s hard to notice.

What is Roon hiding?

Surely there is something up if the voting to restore offline use was shut down and the discussion of the issue is relocated to be buried deeply in an obscure corner of the forum.

Are we supposed to believe that this aggressive action stems simply from whimsy?

2 Likes

I used to be a target market. :wink:

1 Like

A temporary solution in case of unavailability of the internet connection could be tethering via smartphone. It all depends on how much data is used and the rate plan of each individual user.
However, it is a solution that not everyone can use

I live in a rural part of the UK and rely on a community wireless network for my internet connection. We are quite vulnerable to power outages on the network which even if they don’t affect us directly mean we can lose internet (and usually mobile coverage too). I only use Roon for my local content and occasional internet radio. Whilst I don’t like the change to internet dependency I will give 2.0 a go and see how it works in practice. Having said that I bought Roon lifetime on their advertised premise of making my local library great (or whatever terminology they employed at the time). So this is a significant change in their product and diverges substantially from the initial offering I bought into. In summary not a great move for my use case but only time will tell how it impacts in reality, but I certainly wouldn’t buy again in these circumstances.

1 Like

It’s something I’ve been thinking about personally. I have another spare Optiplex rock setup which I could use to test… If I get some free time I’ll give it a whirl this weekend.

Any issues your end?

“Newspeak was designed not to extend but to diminsh the range of thought” – Orwell in 1984

3 Likes

More interestingly, the “Feedback” topics don’t show up when I select the “Latest” display of topics.

1 Like

Roon Labs is a business not a government, so ‘voting’ on new features carries little weight if it doesn’t align with their direction as a business.
While as customers we’re free to express our displeasure at the decision to make Roon 2.0 an internet connected service, and hope that they accommodate us in some fashion. It’s not fruitful to cast ballots in a box no one in charge cares about.
Shutting down the voting seems petty, but it is their show.

1 Like