Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Will “Shuffle” ever return as a command as I have used for more than 6 years…Why remove it? Because Album data cannot be gleaned from your listening habits?

Is that the motivation for pushing processing to the cloud? Collection of listening habits and other analytics to be sold to the highest bidder? What if you have some “pirated” music? I have plenty of music that I’ve downloaded as torrents, but legally purchased CDs years ago that are now damaged/lost/missing. Are they going to charge the record companies to be able to see who has what pirated content now?

Your db is still on your Core. Cover art was taken off the Core some time ago, but everything else is still there. If the internet goes down then you cannot access Roon cover art from the moment it goes down. You can still access you db until Roon “throws you off” - anytime from a few minutes to a few hours!

However it is is possible that db in the cloud (with diamonds???) is a future development that Roon might be considering. The change in architecture appears to be have been done so that they can open up new (more efficient?) ways to do things in the future.

I don’t think the required Internet connection to use Roon is fully understood by most of the Customers. My guess is very few of them even know about it. The Mobile Roon seems to be worth so little as far as sound quality when going mobile, yet the Internet work that it took to undertake this feature seems way more than it’s worth unless Data Mining is the main reason…,.just like Zuckerberg did…they appear to have no respect at all for their Lifetime members and their private collection’s usage…

2 Likes

Not sure how data mining is any deeper now than it was before…

1 Like

This is just FUD

2 Likes

I don’t know, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck… Not sure why else they’d make a poorly received decision like this, and then stick to their guns.

1 Like

Maybe Roon offline will be the next big thing, Roon 3.0.

4 Likes

A bad one – if they don’t want to have local search that’s fine - they could still let me navigate my local file folders to select music without the need to be connected to the internent

I paid over $600 for a product that will “suddenly” no longer work if my internet goes down. Why should people not be ■■■■■■ about this?

4 Likes

Good luck with that.

The irony is I’m right in the middle of writing an article to explain why end users need to start rethinking their dependency on the internet. One of my points is related to issues around depending on third party company servers for things like your NEST cameras to work (other points include such things as the consequences of data breaches, ISP going down, companies going out of business, etc) and while I have numerous examples, ROON just became my poster child!

4 Likes

Comprehension fail. I didn’t say you should not be p1ssed off about it did I? Try reading what I actually wrote. And don’t quote out of context.

Agree that the speculation about data mining is nonsense but also agree with subscribers who were told in 2015 that Roon would work without internet connection, they have every right to be p1ssed off at this change in direction.

4 Likes

I am a lifetime subscriber and am p1ssed as well.

I also do not like the hostile replies from @Danny, he has a unique way of communicating with his “customers”

5 Likes

The same can be said about washing your clothes and a power cut hits. That $500 washing machine is useless.

Outages of internet, power, water (rarely) is life. We just have to muddle through and find something else to do.

I get equally frustrated when my internet goes down. My 3 daughters moan like mad.

I don’t see the need of being pee’d off about it though.

1 Like

Yes, that is exactly what I said.

While @danny can hold his own on here, Roon is his team’s baby. They had a vision, made it come true and know what they want. I guess he may feel gotten at about all the negativity some have.

He has previously had a pop at me (different profile) and while I didn’t take it the right way at first he was bang on and correct

I’m a big fan of Roon, I just can’t afford to stump up the current sum of money for a lifetime subscription and I missed out when it was cheaper. If it was the same as before I’d snap it up.

This is what you actually wrote

1. The rest is just baseless speculation because you’re p1ssed off. Grow up

Unless I have lost complete comprehension of the English language, the phrase
…because you’re p1ssed off"
followed by the admonition to
Grow up
certainly suggests that you’re saying we should not be p1ssed off.

It might not be what you meant but it’s most certainly what you wrote.

Nonsense - I can resort to washing my clothes by hand and leaving them outside to dry. In the case of Roon, there is no “resort”

3 Likes

The key part you are missing is the ‘baseless speculation’ part which, if you read the posts I was actually responding to, was about some tin foil hat drivel re data mining etc.

Of course you have the right to be p1ssed off but you don’t have the right make up sh1t and sling FUD.

You could sing.

I have an old tuner (radio) somewhere and would hook that up to my setup.