Roon 2.0 and Linux (Wine) .. is 32bit needed? [answer: no, wine supports 64bit]

so i have tried again now on nobara 37 (fedora 37 fork).

1. i noticed that there is no more dot net popup.
  2. now with puls audio i see wasapi and pulsaudio system device.
    but still the same problem that it just skips every track and does not make a sound …

tried with proton ge 8.4

so i guess ill get the same error every time i try roon :cry:
i would love to use that software so much

Have you installed RoonBridge for Linux?

nope.
i tried that on my old system.
one time even got it to work.
the problem was that it only worked exclusively.
so i could either use my system or use roon.
not able to mix sound from other programs was a huge problem.
so i did not try that again.

Glad I saw this. Had been experiencing Roon in bottles closing down for a while.
Have spun up the wine-ge-proton8-8 you stated and Roon now stays open. Cheers :+1:
CPU usage still high though.

I had been trying to get the @Mike_Plugge web controller running in the interim but was banging my head against a wall for a few hours. As if by magic, it then started working. Glad it did as I’m really liking it - very stable. Has an ‘old school cool’ vibe to it also :+1:

@ogdens_sliced may i ask which audio output/device you are using?

I don’t use audio output on the linux machine for roon.
Only have the windows RoonInstaller64.exe for library management etc.
My core is ROCK on NUC.

I did just enable system audio devices (and hooked up a USB DAC also) for a test and basically non of them work.
System Output - just skips through tracks with no audio and then stops due to too many failures
Built in Audio - WASAPI - same as above whether in exclusive mode or not
Pulse Audio - WASAPI - same as above whether in exclusive mode or not.

I’m running Linux Mint 21.1 on a 2013 iMac.
I don’t have a need for system audio on this machine so never even enabled it before.

This is why the native version of RoonBridge should be installed.

2 Likes

oh ok.

so is there any way that so the roon bridge can cooperate with the system so i dont have to decide if i want roon or anything else but can use roon in combination with other programs?

with kind regards

I cant help you with that as have no need for Roon bridge on my linux so, have never never tried.
Suggest you install it and find out.

For me it crashes on core search mayby cause I use tailscale.

You can find VPN threads in the #tinkering section of the forum (or just use the search function).

Also, be sure to use Wine Staging branch.

Reporting a new working configuration, since roon-on-wine seems to not be working with latest Wine staging or stable these days.

• Bottles https://usebottles.com/
  • Runner: wine-ge-proton-8-22 (install via Settings > Runners)
  • Create Bottle, select Custom, choose the above runner and 64-bit support.
  • In the bottle, choose Dependencies and install dotnet472 and dotnet48 – this may take some time, it seems to want to install every previous version as well.
  • Once complete, find the Windows Roon Installer (download it) and click Run Executable… and run it to install.
  • Once done, you should be able to run Roon. You can create a desktop shortcut and use normally.

I haven’t tested audio output directly from the bottle; I prefer to run the Roon Bridge natively in Linux and then control it from the remote in Wine, seems more reliable.

3 Likes

do you have a way that the roon bridge is not exclusively claiming the audio device?
i am currently on fedora and last time i tried the roon bridge i lost every other outputs :confused:

Unfortunately, on my system–Ubuntu 23.10–Roon closes when switching desktops.

However, Roon on Wine is working once again, but unfortunately, it’s like the bad old days with high CPU and laptop fan running continuously.

Presently, the best option is to use WayDroid. It’s far from perfect, but runs like a native app. The only issues I have are:

• Scrolling is only possible with click and hold on the trackpad. This is the biggest issue, and so far, I’ve not found a fix.
  • Screen resolution is designed for displays with higher PPI than an average laptop. I think I can change density, so will experiment with this.
  • Share options are useless.
  • Colour is slightly off, but this may be related to pixel density.

I improved the screen resolution for a 14" 1080p display as follows.

echo "ro.sf.lcd_density=157" | sudo tee -a /var/lib/waydroid/waydroid_base.prop

Then restart WayDroid.

Never had that issue. I run it full time, doesn’t impact other audio.

1 Like

hm … strange for me its still the same.

i can see raat conencting to my pipewire playback devices with tools like qpwgraph
but if i start a playlist its skips through every track in a second and says “playback stopped due to too many errors” :frowning:

i guess latest fedora is too new for it or sth.
i remember having the same problem since i use linux.
But ages before that i tested it on a very old uuntu which still used pulseaudio xD
i think there it worked.

i have not even a clue how to trouble shoot it since there is no link to logs or sth like that.
only says stopped due to errors (what ever they may be)

If the Roon can’t use the device because another app has exclusive control, I usually see “unavailable” in Settings > Audio, and playback won’t start. What you’re showing suggests an issue with the stream, so I’d check networking.

Are you using the Roon Bridge on the base system, or trying to play audio through Wine?

I would avoid the latter. Install the Roon Bridge, then choose it as the output device in Audio settings.