Roon 2.0 Constantly Quitting on MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.0.1 [Investigating - Ticket in]

Same here. iMac with clean macOS Ventura 13.0.1 install. Just Roon GUI running on this mac. An external HD with my local music. It crashes at least once a day without using it. Unable to use it remotely or with ARC. And I just started my yearly subscription. Totally useless for now.

1 Like

Aaaaahhhhh hhhaaaaaaa… so it’s just not me… lol… a great guy from Roon Support… Wes Campbell is assisting… hopefully they will get a fix for it.

Thanks for your contribution, Joao Paulo Florencio :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Anthony_McCarthy,

I was liking posts all the way down to the notification that the problem recurred.

Please use this link to send me the crash report.

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

In the meantime, as a workaround, you might be able to use Roon Server and I am hoping this will work out in time for your gathering. It is a rather involved process so I apologize ahead of time.

Go to settings>general and log out of your core, and exit Roon. Next, you’ll be renaming folders with the steps below.

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”

Install Roon Server from this link. You will see a new icon across the top of your screen like below. Go ahead and click it and select launch at startup.

• Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

When you log in, select the new instance of the core (not the “this Mac” option). Verify that things are working from there!

2 Likes

Having same problem since I upgrded to Ventura last week with my Imac 2017 .
Imposseble now to even have it going for 1 minute :tired_face:

1 Like

Hey Wes… I reverted back to my MacPro running Roon 1.8 Legacy for my party… and all worked out great. Roon is a little slow loading tracks, but maybe that’s because I had a group of three Bluesound Devices… and it needed to sync them every time I changed tracks… albums… etc… I will stick with Roon 1.8 on my MacPro for now until you guys hopefully get to the bottom of the issues with Roon 2.0 on macOS Ventura 13.0.1.

PS. I uploaded that Crash Report like you requested to that link :slight_smile: Hopefully that can also help.

Thanks again for all your help and assistance.

Regards,
Anthony

1 Like

I installed Roon four days ago on macOS 12, roon core running on my macbook pro, Roon was working great, upgraded to macOS 13.0.1 today and Roon is now crashing within 2-15 seconds of loading, every time. Certainly seems like a 13.0.1 compatibility issue with multiple reports of problems starting to come in. Roon also appeared to not like Stage Manager, but Roon is crashing with Stage Manager on or off.

Roon support - please email me if you’d like crash logs or anything else.

1 Like

I installed Roon Server following your workaround. For now it seems to have solved the issue for me. Will confirm in a few days. Thanks!

Hi Anthony, I have the same problem. Mac mini 2020 16 gb ventura 13.0.1 as core. It crashes several times a day.
Made a support call yesterday.

1 Like

Hope they get things back working for you Misja_Hardonk.

We all love our ROONAGE!! :slight_smile:

Regards,
Anthony

Hi @Wes, I tried this workaround but it’s not working. In the Roon client I get a message “Waiting for your Roon Core” every 5-10 seconds, it takes about 10 seconds to reconnect, and then repeats. It was also doing the same thing during the initial setup when adding my Tidal account (kept timing out, had to abort the tidal setup).

Let me know if you want any logs etc. I’m on macOS Ventura 13.0.1, and it was a from scratch Roon Server and Roon App install.

Hoping you can reset my 14 day trial once the engineering team is able to get Roon working with the new macOS.

The workaround didn’t last very long. First crash of the Roon Server today. I guess you really have an issue with Ventura.

Hi @Geoff_White,

I am investigating these reports further. That said, I had your very same problem but it was due to my firewall or filters in network settings. It also impacted any standard internet usage for me.

Can you show me what you have listed under system settings>network>filter? Also, is the firewall enabled under stem settings>network? Can you try disabling these items and re-testing?

Thanks,
Wes

PS everyone. I am discussing this with development again. Bear with us while we figure this out. In the meantime, please check these settings if you haven’t already, disable them, and attempt to duplicate.

Thanks,
Wes

Hi everyone. For those affected by crashes, please know we’re investigating and have a ticket in.

Some of the suggestions in our initial discussions were to see if DSP was enabled. If so, try disabling it and see if there is any change in your situation.

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

DSP disabled and Roon are not crashing the first 30 sec :grinning:
So far…

1 Like

Hi @Joao_Paulo_Florencio and @Anthony_McCarthy @matshoglund59 @Geoff_White @Misja_Hardonk

Are your Macs M1 or Intel based?

Have you had a chance to disable DSP and see if there is a change? (Thank you for chiming in @matshoglund59)

Wes

1 Like

Intel, Imac 2017 and still working👍

1 Like

It was one of my developers that said DSP could be involved. I can’t wait to see the answers for everyone else. I don’t know that you’ll be expected to leave it disabled long-term but I’m hoping to keep you functional for now and address any bugs (features, they’re features) in new releases.

Thank you for assisting us with pinning this down!

Wes

Intel, Macbook Pro 16" 2019. Uninstalled Roon & Roon Server, deleted Roon/RAAT folders in library, disabled Macos firewall, disabled Lulu network filter, no other filters or firewall or antivirus installed. Installed Roon and same problem happened, deleted and tried RoonServer + Roon, same problem.

Roon doesn’t run long enough to get into the settings to see if DSP is enabled or disabled. It disconnects from the Roon core, then when it reconnects it goes back to the initial setup screen where it asks you what folders you want added to roon.

I have crashes both on M1 and Intel.
No firewall, no filters.