Roon 2.0 - Crashing on MacOS due to ".NET ThreadPool Worker" [Ticket In]

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear CM1100 Modem/Eero J010001 mesh router/Netgear GS605v2 switch
Roon controller (Lenovo i5 IdeaCentre) and endpoint (Cambridge CXN v2) are both on Ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

Cambridge CXN v2 streamer/dac > RCA analog cable > Ayon Orion III integrated amp > pair Quad ESL63 speakers

Number of Tracks in Library

2,500 tracks?

Description of Issue

Every couple weeks server stops. I thought this was an issue with backups but when I turned off backups it still stops. Getting an Apple error page and am not sure how to share it. Took a picture of the first part which Iā€™ll share.

According to the error in the photo this seems to be the infamous .NET ThreadPool Worker crash that is discussed here in a different form - here itā€™s usually the GUI control app crashing but in your case it seems to be the server crashing, but same error message:

Okay so it seems this is still an open issue which youā€™re working on, correct? This causes minimal issues with me as I just need to restart the server a couple times a month. Iā€™ll keep my eye on the main ticket to see when thereā€™s a fix.

Iā€™m just a fellow user, not working on anything :slight_smile: But yeah, they seem to be working on it and itā€™s been taking far too long, so you are lucky. Personally, I had this crash once in 6 months, donā€™t think itā€™s clear why some people have it all the time

Great, thanks for the help!

@John_Schindele - Iā€™ve merged your support request into this thread as well to keep everything in the same place.

Any news, regarding this issue?

Henri

Hi @Wes,

Thanks for the workaround. Can you speak to why this is a solution and if there will be a Core update establishing the same bug fix?
Do I understand correctly that Roon Server runs headless and that the Core thus essentially is controlled remotely from (in my case) an iPad?
Does it also cause my default audio output (from the Mac Mini) to become unavailable?
The database is stored on a NAS, does it still need to be backed up, and if so, can that be on a different directory in the same medium or should it be really safe?

Yes.

No, it wonā€™t since the Roon audio code exists in the server portion not the graphic interface.

Wes is suggesting that you backup immediately before doing anything and that this backup is kept separate from the standard backups. This is pretty standard IT procedure when doing any work, a manual backup immediately proceeding the change is done. It can be backed up to a different NAS location, to a USB key, etc.

After you have made the change, you should continue whatever Original backup procedures you had in place.

Keeping in mind that I am not a Roon employee, but, here goes. Roon (the all in one app) is really different elements, one is the server portion(s), the other is the graphical portion. It is the graphical section that seems to be having the issues, not the server code. So, by eliminating the graphical UI, you are removing the source of the issue.

1 Like

Just want to say, even the server crashes a lot and the audio playback stopped, so even here a fix is required, the workaround does not work.

Thanks

Henri

Thanks a lot @Rugby,
Do you have an explanation for the crashes @Henri_Hoffmann just posted. Iā€™m a bit worried about the frequency of his crashes. Itā€™s not as bad in my case, so am considering waiting for a proper core update. Do you know if Roon (@noris or @benjamin) are actively pursuing a solution?

By the way, I have a full crash report of one of the occurrences for support to have a look at. Where do I send it?

Henri -

Thanks for your post regarding the Roon Server workaround to the .NET ThreadPool issue. I still have a rolled-back version 1.8 that is working fine, so Iā€™ve been reluctant to try the workaround in case I had to upgrade to 2.0 to do so.

Has anyone who was actually experiencing the crashes been able to successfully solve the problem by installing the Roon Server? Or is this more of a ā€œpreventative stepā€ that Roon has recommended? If you have, Iā€™d appreciate hearing your experience.

Scott

Still having an issue after close to 1 year on an open bug!

Roon Engineering - I am sure you can reproduce - please support the core product !!! I have the latest M2 MacMini and no crazy HW - let me know if you need more details but I think you have so many logs this should be solved by now.

We should not have to restart Roon everyday!

Thank you for the help!

-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process:               Roon [57206]
Path:                  /Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon
Identifier:            com.roon.Roon
Version:               1.0 (1.0)
Code Type:             ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2023-07-17 03:03:26.0127 -0700
OS Version:            macOS 13.4.1 (22F82)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        AB6A37D5-E3A7-CD34-5051-BC66F442F732

Time Awake Since Boot: 1900000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        57  .NET ThreadPool Worker

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Thread 0::  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	       0x188e77f14 mach_msg2_trap + 8
1   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	       0x188e8a240 mach_msg2_internal + 80
2   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	       0x188e80b78 mach_msg_overwrite + 604
3   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	       0x188e78290 mach_msg + 24
4   CoreFoundation                	       0x188f967e4 __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 160
5   CoreFoundation                	       0x188f950c4 __CFRunLoopRun + 1208
6   CoreFoundation                	       0x188f944b8 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 612
7   ???                           	       0x2869baaa8 ???
8   ???                           	       0x2870d5ed8 ???
9   ???                           	       0x2869808d4 ???
10  ???                           	       0x2863d1548 ???
11  ???                           	       0x2820341a0 ???
12  libcoreclr.dylib              	       0x102a86348 CallDescrWorkerInternal + 132

@Roon_Core - any help on Core Dumps??? Please?

Installing Roon Server has NOT helped me. Getting at least a half dozen server crashes PER DAY on a Mac M1 Mini. Mac is a fresh install with nothing but Roon Server and all ethernet.

1 Like

Hey, Roon - this is not some minor inconvenience that you can shrug off and pretend the product is working. The product has NOT worked for over 6 months for many mac server and core users. You either canā€™t or are unwilling to fix, but you have no problem billing us during this down time.

Please be more forthright about your efforts and progress to fix this problem. If you see no end in sight, please say so and let users find alternative hardware or stop paying for a broken service.

If I was told Iā€™d be better off running a ROCK on NUC I might be willing to set aside my $800 investment in my Mac mini and stay with Roon. BUT if I have to keep living indefinitely with six or more music halts every day while Roon stays silent and pockets my money, Iā€™m likely to get fed up and dump Roon altogether.

3 Likes

My advise (FWIW) would be to acquire an approved NUC and install Rock.

My roon server is currently on a mac mini M2 and seems to have crashed. Iā€™m currently on holiday in Norway so have no access to the mac to restart roon.This leaves me without access to ARCā€¦. Pretty upset about that.
Luckily Plex is also running on that same machine and plexamp is working just fine.

For about 6 years I had ROCK running on a NUC5i5 without any issues and was a tester for ARC last year. It never failed me while traveling ā€¦not so on the new Mac mini

MikeB - Thank you!
Is this from personal experience running on both platforms?
Thanks again. - eric