Roon 2.0 is unbearably slow

Oh, you mean @Stuart_Dudman, right?

1 Like

Indeed you are correct @maddib - thank you for the correction!

I will do this soon. (Mother and wife both had falls, so Iā€™m a bit constrained, so apologies for any delays).
I play all my music from my bookmarks and it is the bookmarks that are generally slow.
Hopefully before I delete the bookmarks I can create some playlists to do similar. Iā€™ve never really used playlists in Roon so that will be a useful learning experience. Can I make the playlists dynamic? i.e. never played songs of one certain tab?

I bit the bullet and deleted all the bookmarks. Letā€™s see what happens!

Stuart, did the last update (2.0.29) not fix this for you?

In my case it solved the problem of endlessly loading of pages as well as almost no response at all, regardless what I was doing. So everything works normal again now.

1 Like

Ooh, this is exciting.
I would give it a whirl but have deleted all my Bookmarks for a test.
Hmmm.
I guess Iā€™ll have to recreate the bookmarks manually each time I do something.
Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Just tested it quickly. A tag filter resolved which has never resolved before in 6+ years of using Roon. I am very very happy! Time for a beer.

1 Like

Hey @Stuart_Dudman,

Iā€™m glad to hear things are performing better! Iā€™ll keep this thread open over the next few days in case youā€™d like to provide additional status updates.

I spoke to soon. Trying to filter tracks on a tag often doesnā€™t work ā€“ ending up with a blank screen rather than an infinite loop. Last night play stopped at the end of a track and play wouldnā€™t restart until I rebooted Roon (I have asked for scheduled reboots).
So now I can no longer do what I used to be able to do in the wonderful pre-ARC days.
2 playlists
Songs I like (tag S) never played
Songs wife and I like (tag JS) not played in the last 6 months
Iā€™m not asking for anything new, just a return to how Roon was.

A lot has now been changed at once. Roon 2.0 seems to be the cause of most problems, but maybe deleting the bookmarks has made things worse? But a new build when the software seems to be in a downward spiral may also be to blame. Iā€™m hoping you guys can get me a working system again.

This is getting silly. Shortly after a reboot, the JS not played in 6 months filter worked.
So now Iā€™ve done my bookmarks into Playlists whilst the going it good.
But these arenā€™t dynamic. Can you make these dynamic? Would be very handy.

Hi @Stuart_Dudman,

How are things running currently?

Sounds like an excellent idea to put into our Feature Suggestions category! Be as precise as possible in detailing what youā€™d like to see. :+1:

Not sure whatā€™s happened. Whether itā€™s deleting the bookmarks or the latest release (leap backwards). Now if I want to use Roon I have to reboot it before I use it. Otherwise even album views donā€™t appear let along tracks. Once rebooted, Roon works ok. Not like 1.8, but bearable.
Meanwhile, obviously not having Bookmarks isnā€™t great ā€“ even though they only really work after a reboot.
Playlists seem pretty pointless.
Please help me!

It seems that rebooting (or restarting the Roon server) is the great Room leveler and for some people it is great for a couple of hours and other a week can go by without issue.

For yourself I would restart regularly if it helps

I was rebooting about once per week with 1.8.
Stupidly I upgraded to 2.0 and itā€™s 1-2 reboots per day. Every day.
If I know Iā€™m going to listen to music a bit later then I reboot the Nucleus.
But we donā€™t always know in advanceā€¦ then itā€™s hit and miss whether I can bring up any music to play. Even album view doesnā€™t come up. Iā€™ve pretty much had to give up looking at tracks.
I guess returning to 1.8 might be the best bet.

I agree that multiple reboots a day is crazy and should never be required.
I reboot mine once a week and performance is acceptable, and better than it was a few months ago, which is positive.

How much memory do you have in your Nucleus? If only 4GB then you might be coming to the limit with that and it might be good to get another 4GB if itā€™s a single stick

Hi @Stuart_Dudman,

Can you share a screenshot of what you see specifically? And with that, the next time you get into this state can you share the specific date, time, and if applicable the name of the track attempted to play?

Thanks!

I will do some of the things that cause problems when I return next week. I will replicate all of the things that cause trouble. Am I allowed to rebuild my bookmarks? Iā€™ll write myself a script so that I cover a bunch of the problems.

When a reboot is REALLY needed, then I donā€™t even see albums. This happened 11th March at 22:34. I then rebooted ready for the morning
Generally it is tracks that donā€™t load and I see the other screen. Sometimes this goes on forever. Other times it eventually resolves the search. That one was this morning at 09:37, so after a reboot, when it was pretty quick.
Right now I just bring up album views and do a shuffle as Roon 2.0 performance means Track views so slow as to be unusable.

Hi @Stuart_Dudman,

We will certainly take a closer look! I also want to confirm, are these the same issues youā€™ve been experiencing since 2018, per your older thread below:

When shuffling Roon halts when it encounters a Tidal track - #12 by dylan.

How many tags are you currently using, across roughly how many tracks?

How long is your play history? If you erase your play history, does that help with performance? Again please make a fresh backup if youā€™d like to keep your play history. You can then restore from a backup afterwards if there is no change in performance.