Roon 2.0 keeps crashing on my mac mini. any ideas? is my mac not strong enough

Roon Core Machine

Running 12.6 on a mac mini from 2014. 8 gigs of ram. i was using my older mac mini from 2010 but i wanted to upgrade to 2.0 so i can use ARC. however since i upgraded the roon keeps crashing non stop. any ideas why?

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hey @DavidSage,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

After reviewing your account, I see you’ve been able to upgrade to the latest 2.0 build (1133) and so I wanted to check in to see if you’re still running into issues with your core crashing?

If so, please recreate this issue a few times and share a time stamp (date and time) of when the crashes occurred. That way, we can enable diagnostics on your account to take a closer look.

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

ok so i updated mac mini. now itsa 2014 core I5 with 8 rams. the software crashes non stop. and i mean non stop. is the computer just not power enough? there is nothing on this machine. it was a clean wipe install and nothing on this machine by running roon.

Hey @DavidSage,

To better understand your system setup, can you provide more information below:

While we troubleshoot, can you please hardwire your Mac core directly to your router via ethernet? With that, I’m seeing in your core diagnostic that Roon is continuously trying to analyze your local library.

If possible, could you temporarily disable your watched folders and see if the crashing continues? If it does, can you share a specific date and time the next time you experience a crash?

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

very good. and yes my Mac mini is 100% to Ethernet. i made change in settings now and will report back what happens.

is my old mac able to handle roon 2.0? sadly my 5K mac mini is too old and i cant open which sucks. o well.

stupid me, but which settings is to disable the watched folders?

ok i think i did it right, but then disable will not allow any new tracks to be brought into roon.

Settings:storage

yup i disabled all my folders. let we wait. if that seems to be the fix, then how would i scan any new tracks brought into the folders?

I will not assume to know @benjamin thought process but if this allows it to run I would think he will be having you enable the watched folders one at a time to see which is the problem child.
This is just a troubleshooting step .
Let’s see how it goes.

1 Like

all great points. thank you so much. lets play the waiting game.

Hey @DavidSage,

@AceRimmer is very much on the right page with where I was heading! I saw that you had a Tidal subscription active within your Roon account, and so (my apologies for not being more clear initially) I was curious to see if you’d be able to run Roon strictly from streaming content on Tidal, and if that would result in the same crashing you’ve experienced.

In short : testing to see if the crashing is related to your local library. How have things been running with your watched folders disabled?

What is the specific model of the computer? Here are the requirements for Roon 2.0 :

Where does your local library live? Is it also on the updated 2014 core I5? If you could provide more details around your full setup, that would be helpful! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

ok so the Roon is still crashing. i did turn off the folder search as instructed too.

basically i run the roon server on my mac mini. then try and access ARC from my iphone or just roon app from my ipad. id say maybe 1-2 days go by and it then crashes so i have to re open the app on the mac mini. before i installed Roon, i wiped the entire mac mini clean and nothing else runs but Roon.

Hey @DavidSage,

Thanks for giving that a try! As a next step here, we’ll want to test for potential database-related issues. For this, we’ll want to temporarily refresh your database, again test performance based on strictly streaming content (no local library), and see if you experience crashing.

The first thing you’ll want to do is make a fresh backup of your current database. Here are the steps need to clear your core database:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

If you do experience another crash on this fresh database, please note the specific date and time when the crash occurred, and share that info here. Thanks again!

Thanks Ben. I followed your steps exactly. I did not restore database until i notice that the app stops crashing. Hopefully it wont, but then that means something is corrupted in my database, but that should be simple to re add folders, although it was a pain before to add them from my 5K mac mini which is not on the server to access Itunes podcasts. maybe that might explain a few things too. just a thought.

ok well that was short lived. i dont know exact time, but i had my screen sharing window opened and the dam app crashed yet again. not sure if this mac just sucks, or something major is going on. i have a brand new mac mini well a little older, that i want to try out this weekend and report back.

Hey @DavidSage,

Thanks for the update! I wasn’t able to pull diagnostics on your core to review this most recent crash, could you bring it back online?

Does the crash only happen when you’re screen sharing? Could you explain your situation in more detail if possible? Since it still crashed, you can restore your core from your recent backup if you’d like - it doesn’t seem to be database related at this time.

Do you receive an apple crash report when the crash occurs? Feel free to share a screenshot of that crash report if so. :+1: