Roon 2.0 keeps crashing on my mac mini. any ideas? is my mac not strong enough

no. it crashes no matter what. i normally close out screen sharing with the mac mini. then it crashes. i attached a report from apple. I tried to upload a text doc but i cant with the crash report from apple.

Hey @DavidSage,

Please take a quick look at this potentially related thread:

Do you see .NET ThreadPool Worker in the crash report?

Snapping a screenshot of the crash report also works. If the crash is related to the thread I’ve shared above, this is a known issue our team is actively working on. A known workaround that many have used in the meantime is to switch their core over to running the headless version of Roon - Roon Server.

If the crash your experiencing is related, here are some steps to swap over to Roon Server in the meantime:

Roon 2.0 - Crashing on MacOS due to ".NET ThreadPool Worker" [Ticket In] - #68 by ged_hickman1.

Let me know, thanks! :+1:

oh dear. looks like i have this in the crash report. i will read what your no saying to swap over roon servers. any idea on timeline fix?

Translated Report (Full Report Below)

Process: Roon [14080]
Path: /Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon
Identifier: com.roon.Roon
Version: 1.0 (1.0)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2023-06-19 20:11:21.6947 -0400
OS Version: macOS 12.6.6 (21G646)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 60AD54E2-F059-1CBC-3A12-76A3A346C6B3

Sleep/Wake UUID: 5E527C90-C0A0-4DA3-AC70-ACDCF032CD51

Time Awake Since Boot: 980000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 40281 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 55 .NET ThreadPool Worker

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

ok i followed the work around, so hopefully it will stick for a few days without crashing.

ok so its still crashing even with this server running. Ive sort of given up on this whole roon thing. before 2.0 it was smooth sailing with no issues. not its constant non stop. i cant even use roon on my 5K imac since its too old.i have a newer mac mini I might try out this weekend and wipe it clean and install roon onto that and see if it crashes.

Hey @DavidSage,

I’m sorry to hear the workaround didn’t work for you.

I can’t speak on any definitive timelines yet, but it’s a high-priority case for our team and has the proper attention around it. I will definitely keep you in the loop on any progress.

I’m sorry you’re in the position to have to test out a different core device, but if you’re able to play music on this device as a temporary workaround, that would be good for the time being!

Let me know how things go, and if you have any questions during the process.

ok new mac is setup.

ok well that was short lived. again its crashing. so now Roon has major major issues and im really hoping they fix them. 2.0 has been awesome for ARC addition but horrible for actually working.

Hey @DavidSage,

That’s a bit of poor luck there, I’m sorry the other Mac core ran into crashing issues as well! Is there a particular reason you’re keeping that Mac on Big Sur?

Did you attempt running Roon Server on this other machine as well?

Are you seeing a similar crash report from Apple on this device?

thats what the machine came with when i restored it. I will have to review the next crash log and see if it has that thing. i will also try the server work around. just really curious why it keeps crashing. seems like a known issue from Roon.

Any updates on this mess? Its really really annoying and i cant use my roon really at all. App keeps crashing.

Hey @DavidSage,

No updates to share yet, but our team is working on a fix. Sorry to hear you’re still having issues - were you able to try out running Roon Server, and or update your Mac OS version?

Thanks again for your patience so far! :pray:

I noticed there was a small update in the roon software. sadly this did not even fix or come close to the crashing issues. Why cant I install 1.8 anymore and have things work? Really wanted the ARC to be used but i cant stand this crashing every 15-20 min.

so today i updated to Sonoma. Still crashes non stop. i really hate this not being able to use Roon. not happy at all. why cant the engineers figure this out. how do i downgrade to 1.8?

I too am having Roon crash after launching during the folder scan on Sonoma. I even tried with a backup as well with the same result. The one time I was able to start the playing of music on an iFi before crashing it came out of the system output and not my receiver! That is really odd.

Can someone from Roon please assist us? Thank you!