Roon 2 (build 1223) cannot find BluOS on NAD M12 DAC PREAMP

I’m cross posting this as it may be related?

2 Likes

Hi @Boris_Molodyi yes I do. I rarely mention this as it sparks off heated discussions about these things being genuine or snake-oil. I use a Shunyata Delta Hydra power conditioner and power cables for surge protection

This sounds like exactly the same problem I’m having. The one thing that puzzles me is that you have B1226 where my version is B1223 and it states I have the latest update available. You seem to have a later one. So they release updates piecemeal across the different regions?

Oh just saw Early Access on your post - do you do beta testing?

Well, I think most snake oil peddlers would be offended at being compared with Shunyata :rofl:but simple surge protection is such a cheap and solved problem that most likely we can assume it is probably not the issue here then.

BTW, is your M12 on the latest BluOS 3.20.45? It does seem that for many people problems started around the time it was deployed…

Of course. I probably should ask for a discount… although no mention of new 520 version in Rose’s forums so far.

Last Iheartd, it wason a ship, waiting to be unloaded (Port of LA or Long Beach, I suppose)…

Heck that’s just yonder right down the road from me currently, I’ll grab it off will call for you. :wink: Let’s see who gets to Texas first :joy:

You order from Upscale?

No, from a local shop in Austin (support local business and all). Not sure if it is even getting sent directly to me or going to the MoFi in Chicago (sweet home :slight_smile: ) first and then getting shipped here…

If you can swim up and grab it from a container, I’d appreciate that :laughing: I’ll take a black one, please!

:joy::joy::joy: Yes they’re a funny bunch these cable manufacturers. I simply never allow myself to get baited into these tiresome debates where the people with one view or the opposite can NEVER have their opinions changed. I personally experienced a profound instantly audible sound improvement across the entire musical spectrum when I changed speaker cables 2 years ago. It is unusual for the improvement to be so obviously massive. I can only assume that what I was using were very very bad quality or had extremely high resistance, we’re highly susceptible to interference (out of necessity they do run alongside the power cables or were simply faulty in some way

Well, as long as they are not trying to sell me on something that makes no sense whatsoever (I did get a pretty decent math/physics Soviet education, back when it was actually worth something). Although it is sometimes annoying when people come here with a problem, but refuse to do any basic troubleshooting because “it can’t be my cable, it is a $$$ curiously spicy super-directional Cat9 Ethernet cable, it can’t possibly be the culprit!!!”

Anyway, the point of all this is to enjoy the music, and if a fancy able sounds better (even in one’s head) it somewhat serves its purpose. I actually do have some audiophile cables thatI picked up for purely esthetic reasons – one of the systems has everything pretty much in the open, might as well look at 5 meters of speaker wire (and a few loops of interconnects) that are pleasing to the eye. Of course since I don’t believe in sonic differences between cables (well, unless one is very broken) I picked them by nice construction and color :rofl:

1 Like

Well the post I linked to was actually from @ged_hickman1 but yea he is an early access user. I was until recently…

However I think the common factor here is your bluos version rather than Roon version.

Can you stop BluOS from updating? I am considering moving to NAD but this stuff worries me as it seems to happen quite a bit with BluOS. I used to have a Node2i and that was rock solid.

Hi @CrystalGipsy i think you can stop the BluOS module from upgrading. I always do it manually. The drawback is if you have a problem the first thing they will tell you to do is upgrade to the latest firmware.

True same for any software really.

1 Like

@Boris_Molodyi my experience with the speaker cables, extremely rare for it to be so vastly superior obvious to anyone not even particularly interested in music, proved that analogue cables can make a difference if one cable is poorly made or faulty but between two different decent cables I’ve never heard any difference.

It was all the claims about digital cabling that made me as sceptical as you. I have never heard even the slightest difference between a reasonable Ethernet cables or one that costs 10x as much. Same for coax and optical. The only reason I have tried digital cables ilea’s based purely on the evolution of HDMI to 2.1 and Ethernet to CAT 8 both of which facilitate substantially increased bandwidth. So cables, digital cables in this respect definitely make a difference. I don’t quite understand the science of these “improved” cables. Despite this they make absolutely no difference to audio quality whatsoever.

Anyway that Shunyata Hydra is now for sale and I’m buying the entry level inexpensive Isotek Polaris purely for protection.

The only thing that stops me being totally cynical is the fact that I have that overwhelming experience with the analogue speaker cables

Well, at least in the analog world electrical characteristics do matter. If one cable has higher resistance, if anything, it will make sound slightly less loud, which is usually perceived as “worse”. With digital, of course (as usual, not talking about equipment that is badly designed) either it matches the standard, or it does not.

For what it’s worth, when the NAD was here, it was connected over WiFi. Full galvanic isolation and all. Sounded quite good, really. By the time I took it back and replaced it with the Peachtree, ethernet was run to the room, so now I have ethernet (most generic CAT6 cable from Office Depot, and whatever the installer used to run inside the walls… some professional cable but definitely not anything “audiophile”). All going into old HP laptop with halfbroken keyboard :rofl: and out of another generic USB cable (got it either with a printer, or with a UPS, I think) into Peachtree. Which is supposed to have terrible SQ, what with all that terrible noise getting into the DAC. But since Peachtree has a competently designed one… nope no decrease in SQ (it’s a tiny bit better because the AMP in the Peachtree is slightly better, if anything). Measured it with a calibrated microphone. Turned the volume all the way up and listened between tracks. No noise (well, OK, no noise that I can hear. If there’s something at 20kHz, I couldn’t care less; but kids don’t run away in horror either, so no, there isn’t). So there…

Isotek is at least more reasonably priced (although looking at their site, they do sell a lot of snake oil as well). But at least their surge protectors seem to use non-sacrificial components and should work.

For what it’s worth, if those are available in SA, ZeroSurgre/SurgeX/Brickwall are probably the best surge protectors (all use the same tech), are priced much more reasonably (they seem to be marketed at stereo/HT applications only as an aside, and primarily sold to protect really important stuff), and short of a direct lightning hit should last pretty much forever…

Ok cool. Thanks - I’ll have a look. Never heard of them in this country but I’ll check

Just a quick update. I bought a new Bluesound Node today and on installation it updated the software upgrade automatically. It is not visible to Roon either so it’s going back to the retailer. Proves that the BluOS 2i module in the Nad M12 is not damaged or “fried”.

Neither Roon nor Bluesound are doing anything whatsoever about this so I would warn against taking any manufacturers claims that their equipment is Roon Ready as fact - try and test it before you buy. Neither admit they have a problem and simply point fingers at each other……. which is just great for the customer.

It is visible as an Airplay device. It if I simply wanted to use Apple Airplay I would have stuck with Apple Music

1 Like

You probably could order them from the US, but at that point it might be as expensive as getting an Isotek. Those things are very heavy. But then one of the Brickwalls I have is ~20+ years old, and still going strong.

I thought we did see a confirmation posted here that Bluesound acknowledged that there is a problem on their end. How long would it take them to fix it is another question.

Hello @anon8060941 ,

Apologies for the slow response here. Please see my update in this related thread:

Let’s please continue the conversation there so that all users impacted by this can be updated accordingly, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.