Roon a bust, runs horribly, seeking advice [Solved: folders from previous installation deleted]

As you are already considering a Nucleus: I third the NUC suggestion.

But, hopefully you can get it working on the iMac so you can just use what you already have. Network conditions seem to affect Roon in ways that they don’t affect other software, so do follow up with support.

Thank you very much. this is over my head; I’m gonna use Support on this. Might take awhile as I understand they’re slammed.

1 Like

No worries. Always glad to help if you need though.

1 Like

I had a device that was on my network that was hard-wired to the same IP address as what I wound up assigning Roon to through a DHCP reservation. That caused all kinds of whacky behavior that is similar to what you reported.

Thank you, that’s interesting, gonna look.

Hi, and thanks for your help. I’ve looked in the support queue and can’t find my message there, ???

Roon app or Roon Server?

I’m very new to this and is a long shot but - I first installed Roon app on my main PC (Win 10 with 32 GB ram) and accessed Roon in my hi fi room via Android devices. It worked, but slow, and stuttery at times.
I then used an old Win 10 laptop (with SSD) and installed Roon Server (headless) on it. Still accessing from Android apps (plus another, separate Win 10 PC) but it never drops out now…
All machines accessed via ethernet, no wi fi at all except for android remotes.

Ged moved this thread of posts into the Support category of the forum, so you’re looking at it right now…

Duh. Thank you!

Thanks, appreciate the input! I’m using an iMac with an ethernet cable, issuing commands from the iMac. What a bust. There’s a network issue beyond by ability to address. Can’t really use Roon, even to evaluate. I’m hopeful but …

I believe Roon has fundamental issues on macs. Perhaps only with large libraries? Would be interesting to hear from folks using a mac as their core with a large library who don’t have problems.
I’ve had problems for years, and they are still not solved.
I’ve tried many things:
Changing Macs
Trying wifi only
Trying ethernet only (my current setup)
Changing network routers
Changing network switches
Changing roon endpoints (currently using an OpticalRendu).
Symptoms remain the same:
After using Roon for a while (hours in a given day, or leaving it running overnight), roon will start not being able to connect to tidal and / or qobuz, and / or will have trouble loading and playing tracks in my library. I’ll tell it to play an album. It will skip through all the tracks (no error messages). I’ll try again, and it will skip all or most, and start playing one. I’ll try again it will skip all, or skip some and start playing a different one.
The only solution I’ve found is to restart roon. Which lasts a while and then the problem occurs again.

Hi, I used to have a problem with Roon always losing the server. I had to keep restarting the app to find it again and it was incredibly frustrating.

I found something on the internet suggesting that I disable Multicast (pretty sure that’s what it was) on my Netgear switch, tried it and haven’t had an issue since.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks! Alas, I’m not using a switch. But I do think there is some kind of evil network juju happening.

1 Like

Thank you! I can’t even get Roon to work for 5 minutes. Have not heard from Support yet. This (2nd) trial of Roon is not going well. I want it to work, but …

thanks, where’s the recovery module? as you can tell, i’m clueless

Interesting. Sometimes it will work for hours for me. Almost never does it work for days though.

Your router is also a switch.

We all are to some degree. Restart your computer and hold down Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. A screen will appear that lets you chose Disk Utility. Choose that then select First Aid and also select your Mac Hard Drive in the left column. Let the program run until it finishes. It will tell you if any file repairs or corrections were made. Then restart your computer from the drop down using the Apple logo. Let us know how that goes or if you run into any issues,

Thanks!
I MAY have gotten Roon to work! I uninstalled it from both the Core and my other Roon point (or whatever that is called). Also I trashed the Roon folder from the Library on each iMac where Roon had been installed. Then I reinstalled Roon, and it seems OK but, it’s early days yet and and who knows what may transpire. I had reinstalled Roon before, repeatedly, but I had not trashed the Roon folder in my iMac libraries (sound of forcefully slapping forehead). I may be proven incorrect here, but for now I’m going to assume (dangerous, I know) that things are fixed. I’d like to sincerely thank everyone who has offered their experience and advise. In the meantime I will light candles, cross my fingers, and otherwise beseech every digital and tech spirit,entity and supernatural being to PLEASE let this beneficent period of stability and functionality endure for a very long time. This is asking a lot, I know, but here goes. Thanks again.

5 Likes

Hey @matthew_beall,

We’re sorry to hear that you were having issues with your trial. We definitely want your experience to be problem free so you can properly enjoy all the benefits and features of Roon.

It does seem like you may have hit the problem on the head here. Purging the old folders before a new trial of Roon is a good idea as it eliminates any possibility of the old install causing strange behavior for the software.

We’re happy to see that you received a wealth of valuable input from our fellow Community members. Like you we’re hopeful that your actions have cured your issues. If not, we’re always here to help. Feel free to @ me or support and we’ll get back to you as quickly as we can! :+1:t2:

1 Like