Roon a bust, runs horribly, seeking advice [Solved: folders from previous installation deleted]

The resolution doesn’t explain why the OP had issues with three different installs. Three different computers but the same issues…and the same network.
Keep those candles lit and those fingers crossed…

I have a dedicated i7 2018 Mac Mini as my ROON server. After “upgrading” to Big Sur I had nothing but trouble. I soon switched back to Catalina and it has been just fine since.

I ran Roon server on a late 2012 i7 MacMini. Had problems, including net dropout/disconnection, until I increased RAM to 16GB and replaced the hd with an SSD. It was still a little hinky, particularly when scanning library while trying to play music on the core hardware. I think the problem in general is a “perfect storm” of disc I/O issues, macOS BS, and inelegant Roon/Mac programming. Moved the Roon core to a Windows NUC two weeks ago ( i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD), mainly because the Mac ran hot (a problem in Vegas summer) and no more problems. Mac is great as an endpoint but isn’t an optimal Roon core platform IMO.

For me I found stability once I went to a core running on a dedicated mini and not also using that mini as and end point.

Wish I could be the one to reply that I don’t have problems, but your description sounds too familiar. I’ve been a lifetime subscriber since 2015. For the first 4-1/2 years Roon was flawless, but I think it must have caught Covid about 18 months ago. I’ve tried all the remedies you listed and more. My symptoms are identical to what you describe. I’m running Roon Server on a dedicated headless MacMini i7 and everything is hardwired. Endpoint is mRendu. Router is Asus Zen AX. Library is about 40k tracks on a Synology NAS, so large but not enormous. I tried posting on support and got a lot of well-intentioned but clueless suggestions, most of which which I tried to no avail. Many on this forum, including Roon support techs, are quick to dismiss this behavior as a network problem. It’s total horses**t: there’s nothing wrong with my network. Everything works fine but Roon. Like you, I’ve learned to live with the workaround - I just stop and restart Roon Server before every listening session. Sometimes it takes two restarts. Or else just use the Tidal app, which is a major compromise. Even as broken as it is, I still love everything about Roon when it is working. Having experienced how much better it can be, I’m just frustrated and disappointed that it has regressed and become so unstable.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.