Roon acquired by Harman International [Feedback]

Exactly! I was baffled to see MUSE on ARC, when the ARC itself is not working in a stable fasion. So we are going to do DSP on ARC, but the app does not work most of the time, and not to mention CarPlay stability is less than nothing.

3 Likes

Of course. Roon is not a collaboration. I think the main purpose of the voting is to stop all the tag on ā€œMe tooā€ posts.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t hate walking to the TV to change the channel. But Iā€™m certainly happier to not have to do that any longer. I see the value proposition of vinyl for those that like that (and I collected what is now called vinyl for 20+ years). But physical media like a CD or DVD is simply a piece of plastic that holds a digital file. I see no value in that physical media, and try to purchase lossless downloads when possible (admittedly I still have my > 5,000 CDs stored away in any case).

3 Likes

Hmmmā€¦ I was going to say no, but actually the fact that RAAT is integrated in quite a few devices makes it very useful and valuable. The tech itself is not rocket science and reproducible, but the painstaking work of having it integrated in a lot of hardware sure is.

Hopefully we see that Q&A/Update/Answers by Danny soon. :smiling_face:

1 Like

7 Likes

Roon ARC works great, it is not about bandwith, it is about stable, compliant and correctly configured network(s).

3 Likes

What does that mean? You shouldnā€™t need a CCNA to run Roon. Most people just plug in an ISP supplied router and wonder why ARC doesnā€™t work, but PLEX does. It shouldnā€™t be that hard.

2 Likes

Also about cost of that network. At $30/gig on my cellular plan itā€™s too costly. I can download what I want to from Qobuz to my phone while at home without the expense.

Actually donā€™t know how they really came to the conclusion that something like ARC would be the most wanted ā€œfeatureā€ from customers. Was there any voting in the forum? How many customers actually follow this forum? Does someone know?

Indeed - my Samsung TVs have Apple Music and Apple TV apps, preinstalled. I canā€™t even remove them, if I wanted to, and I use them all the time. Now, I canā€™t wait for Roon Remote to be on my TV, honestly.

I appreciate anyone using the word ā€œoverlordsā€

1 Like

I think the votings are considered as one input among many but are not ignored completely.

Ouch. Some deals in the UK on EE you can get 250GB of data for around Ā£15! Seen GiffGaff just recently offer 500GB for Ā£20.

1 Like

@miguelito No, ARC is not 100% reliable, I agree 100%. My usage is mainly for CarPlay, and ocasionally while walking. For me it is working in the sense that:

1. It is not crashing my core (Roon Server)
  2. It streams in original quality 192/24 reliably when my phone is in good coverage.

Yes, I am having the common issues:

1. Album artwork is not loading in CarPlay. Sometimes it takes 2-3 unplugging and re-plugging the cable.
  2. Far too many messages when coverage is lost while in CarPlay and playing downloaded content. Like ā€œARC is offlineā€ etc. I should not be distracted by such messages while drivingā€¦ ARC should have buffered enough content to continue playing while I move to the next cell.

All-in-all it is a beta product at bestā€¦ it works but not reliably, not by far stretch. And not to mention the slow downloading of content to ARC, on a 5MHz Wi-Fi.

So to the oposing @PeterD - what network configuration did you have in mind?

1 Like

Perhaps Harman will take note of the breathtaking arrogance and stupidity of Avid in sacking almost the entire Sibelius team - thus allowing Steinberg to hire them to develop Dorico from scratch. I was also a longtime Sibelius user (now happily using Dorico) and remember the multiple reassurances to Sibelius users.

Fingers crossed for the future of the Roon team.

1 Like

OOOOffff! :astonished: @Bernd_Kurte you are I arenā€™t looking at the same data! ARC is very well loved and heavily utilized by customers. Most of our users with local files say thereā€™s no better way to enjoy their personal library on the go. And ARC has quite a few great new features on the way.

17 Likes

Oh, you tease!

.sjb

4 Likes

Is an Off button that completely disables ARC and closes the settings controls a possibility for those that donā€™t wish to use it?

2 Likes

Enter 0 in the port field. Not the most discoverable option but it serves your purpose

1 Like