Roon and BlueSound Node Distortion issue

Roon Core Machine

Hello!

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Roon Nucelus → ethernet switch
BlueSound Node → Wireless Orbi Wifi

Connected Audio Devices

Current setup:
Roon Nucelus (Rev B, OS Version 1.0 (build 227), Server Version 2.0 (build 1128) production, Samsung SSD 870)
iPhone 13 (iOS 16.0.2, Roon 2.0 (build 1127))
BlueSound Node (BluOs 3.18.7, iOS App 3.18.1)
Rega Mira 3
Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers

Number of Tracks in Library

10,162 tracks

Description of Issue

I’m having an intermittent issue with distortion when using the Node to stream songs with Roon.

It seems to happen at random, but I ruled out that it’s the Rega Mira 3 amp by switching sources and inputs, and usually it works as expected.

I’ll turn everything on, which usually triggers (annoyingly so) the BluOs to start playing automatically. When I start to play something from the Roon app, after a few seconds, it sounds like the entire output becomes fully distorted like it is being run through a robot vocoder or ring modulator.

I’ve tried various inputs and switched things around, restarting Roon Nucleus, restarting apps, and there’s no change in the issue.

The Node’s Output Level is set to “fixed”. Audio Clock Trim is “on”, but I’ve tried turning that off.

I’m using some Tone Controls due to my Wharfedale speakers being closer than ideal to a wall, but I have also tried turning this off as well. (see attached)

Am I missing anything? Is there a known conflict with BluOs and Roon 2.0?

Some users have reported issues and fixed it by hard resetting the bluos to factory defaults.

Hi, I experienced a continuous distortion after upgrading to 2.0 on my node N130. After rebooting my nuc and restarting the Bluesound node it was OK.

Cheers John

2 Likes

I still experience distortion after upgrading to Roon 2.0 with my Bluesound NODE and Node 2i despite all suggested solutions. When I exclude Roon from the signal path everything works fine. This is definitely a software bug between Roon and the Bluesound software, @Roon support can you please give any feedback how to solve this very annoying issue. With my Lumin T2 streamer everything works fine.

I found in an other support ticket about the same issue a suggestion to remove possible old links to library’s in the BluOs app and this solved the problem.

1 Like

Hi goat unicorn,

Are you still having this issue?

I think I figured it out, though not sure exactly what the culprit was.

I suspect the tone controls has something to do with, because I turned that off after rebooting my Roon Nucleus and the distortion has ceased.

We’ll see, but I definitely ruled out the amp as the issue, which is a relief.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.