Roon app keeps crashing at start-up

Roon Core Machine

MacPro.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Help, I can’t start the Roon app anymore on my MacPro. It starts-up, hangs or crashes…

I deleted the app, empties recycle bin, restarted, downloaded and installed Roon app again… problem remains.

Ultimately, after maybe restarting the MacPro 10 times, the app works again (automatic start at login).

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 22.46.07

this jst happened to me 2 min ago m1 MacBook,

Same problem again today. I accidentally closed Roon and now it is impossible to start it again. It either crashes or hangs so I need to force-quit. Tried restarting the computer several times, nothing helps.

Roon Core Machine

Mac Pro (late 2013), 3.7Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
32GB ram

cabled network (300 Mbps)

Connected Audio Devices

Chord Qutest DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

Can 't tell since it crashes continuously, I think about 15.000

Description of Issue

On the Mac Pro, which is my core, the ROON app either crashes or hangs (so I have to force quit the app). I have a lifetime subscription but I can’t use it anymore. Everything else works fine on the Mac Pro (Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, etc)

I tried deleting and reinstalling the app but this doesn’t help.

I copied the crash report but not sure how to add this here.

Typically it crashes after start-up, I get an error report with the option to “reopen” the app and then it will hang (and I have to force quit).

Hello? Where is tech support? What should I do? I have a lifetime subscription for something that doesn’t work anymore!?

FYI, Roon support doesn’t work weekends and you posted on Friday, and in the best case it will be a few days until they work their way to you

Actually I posted the first time 12 days ago (but then I got Roon back to work after many, many restarts)

@Hans_Van_Rafelghem, I have merged your posts, since Roon staff will pick up this thread first. Posting multiple times does to speed up support, and can hinder community responses.

Can you confirm if you have a backup of your Roon database, and if you have attempted to completely remote Roon from the Mac Pro? Simply deleting the App folder may not be sufficient.

Sorry for the multiple post, I was a bit in a panic.

Anyway, I have several Roon database BU’s. I removed the app several times end reinstalled it but didn’t remove (or rename) the database from the Library yet.

It may be worth removing and reinstalling Roon as follows:

1. Delete the Roon App
  2. Rename /Library/Roon to /Library/Roon-old (use Option key (or Alt)(⌥) to unhide the Library folder)
  3. Reinstall Roon
  4. Restore your backup before signing in (there’s a link at the foot of the screen)

There seems to have been some merging going on, the post I saw said June 2 but now I see the older one. Yeah, 12 days is too long but unfortunately normal

Someone advised to install the Roon Server instead. For me that’s OK. How do I proceed in my situation?

Roon Server doesn’t have the GUI, so you’ll still need to install Roon, even if you use Roon Server. Did you attempt uninstalling as suggested in my last post?

I uninstalled and deleted everything I could find that is Roon related (except the BU’s), obviously also in the Library of my home folder (the one with the icon shaped as a house and which has my name).

I downloaded Roon Server and launched it. Says it is running.

On my iPhone I try to connect (without log in) and restore a BU.

I get this screen on my iPhone which continuously flickers from red to green:

In case I actually succeed in restoring a BU my iPhone keeps searching for the Roon data or it says connection failed. Sometimes it sees 2 Roon cores (like the image above) sometimes only one.

OK!

After trying and trying again I finally have connection again. I hope it stays stable.

So… It wasn’t stable at all.

I completely erased my MacPro, reinstalled Monterey, activated Dropbox (for my Roon BU), installed Roon Server and restored my BU.

Roon Server is up and running on my MacPro.

The problem is the communication with the Roon app on iPhone or iPad. At several moments during the day I checked if Roon was working, each time it was. But in the evening, as soon as I go to settings or want to look-up a certain album or whatever, the connection seems to be lost. My iPhone says my MacPro is ready:

But when I click on it I get this:

Followed by this screen:

and when I click on “select a different core” I get this again:

What on earth is going on? It has been working fine since december 2022.

Hey @Hans_Van_Rafelghem,

Ben here with the support team - I am extremely sorry for the long delay in getting to your issue. Digging right into troubleshooting, I noticed you haven’t included any network information from your original post. Could you please provide a detailed description of your network setup?

Is your Macbook hardwired directly to your router? This would be my first thing to try out.

With that, we can also refresh your RAATServer to see if that may help as well. You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Lastly, you mentioned you had a crash report from Apple available? Sharing a screenshot of this would be helpful as well! Thanks :+1:

Hi Ben,

The Mac pro is hardwired directly to the router.

As I said in the follow-up of my own actions: I completely erased my Mac Pro and installed the OS again. I installed Roon Server and this seems to work “most of the time” when it just needs to play music using either Roon (at home) or ARC (in the car) on my iPhone. The problem of “lost connection” as illustrated with my screen shots, starts as soon as I go to settings or want to look-up a certain album or whatever other action. Most of the time I need to close the Roon app and open it again to get a connection with the Roob Core again. This happens several times EVERY EVENING when I’m using Roon. It is all very, very annoying and frankly speaking, I am beginning to wonder if the life-time subscription was a good idea.

The crash report was from before, when Roon itself was still installed on my Mac Pro, so no longer relevant.

Tonight I started Roon app again, while it was running and I tried to select another album, I suddenly get this again:

So tired of this buggy behaviour…

Hey @Hans_Van_Rafelghem,

I understand your frustration here! I’m sure we can find you a solution no matter!

A few additional questions for you:

1. Do you still experience this on the latest roon build?
  2. If you disable your watched folders and local library (only stream content from qobuz) does the issue still occur? Be sure to give your core a reboot after disabling your watched folders.
  3. Do you by chance have another device you could temporarily test as a core, to see if the same issue happens?
  4. I know you mentioned you’ve recently reinstalled Roon Server, I’m curious to see if this crash is somehow database related - which is why I asked to test things on a fresh database. Let me know if you’re able to do this (as long as you have a recent backup saved):
  • Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Do you have any additional network gear or switches in your chain?

Thanks!

OK Ben,

Before I start working on the first 4 points let me answer the network question (because I have a feeling it has something to do with that).

The Mac Pro is hardwired and WIFI is OFF.

I have a router and an access point from my provider but also a DECO mesh with 3 hardwired access points for better wifi coverage (I have a big house and had WIFI problems). There is is a network switch at my office too, which links the internet to my Mac Studio and to the photo printer.

I have the latest Roon build, remember, everything is a fresh install, I deleted everything (except the database BU obviously) and updated the Roon app on my iPhone.

I’ll do the database tests later. Off to bed now…