Roon app not working in WIndows 10Pro after update. Core is not on pc

Roon Core Machine

Dell Precision Tower 5810 / Intel Xeon E5-1620v3 3.50GHz Ram 8.0GB WIndows10 64 Pro

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet / no VPN

Connected Audio Devices

My Roon core and library are in my Grimm Mu1 streaming device. The Grimm works okay and I can play music on my stereo. No problem on my Iphone either. Everything is connected by ethernet. LAN. Network is perfect.

Number of Tracks in Library

11.951 tracks / no major changes recently

Add images

Description of Issue

I use my pc on my desk in my study. When I work at my pc I listen to music using Roon. Since the update yesterday the Roon app on my pc refuses to start and I get the message that my ‘device is not compatible with Roon’. Before this update everything was perfectly in order.

Double check that you don’t have roon set to run in windows compatibility mode. Right click icon and look under properties.

1 Like

I wish I could, but I thought I had to re install Roon on my pc. I could of course uninstall it, but I cannot reinstall the app.

Why not?

Just download the installer from here and it should work.

Alas. I download the installler. The intstaller runs through the whole procedure and then when I click ‘finish’ to open the app I get the message that my ‘device is not compatible’ which it was all the time before the update. So it is not possible to install Roon again on my pc. When I check Roon on my iPhone I see my Grimm Mu1 streamer and my iPhone as devices to play to, but my desktop doesn’t exist anymore in Roon.

Do you have .NET 6.0 installed? The new Roon update switched to that and IIRC there was at least one similar thread where it was missing on the PC and installing it helped

You would just need the .NET Desktop Runtime (not the SDK) from here:

Thank you. I have installed the right thing I presume. It said: Thanks for downloading
.NET 6.0 Desktop Runtime (v6.0.16) - Windows x64 Installer! ** Afterwards I restarted my pc and again ran the Roon installer. Still get the message that my device is not compatibel. Any other suggestions? It’s so strange. Up until the update everything was running without any glitches. Really dependable.

Have you checked whether Roon is running in Windows Compatibility Mode as @Rugby asked? Because this version of Roon should NOT have Windows Compatibility Mode turned on…

Hi Geoff. I have no idea how to check if Roon is running in that mode. Roon is installed on my Grimm Mu1 streamer. If the app would still be on my pc I could right click on the icon, but since the app refuses to install again on my pc there is no icon to click on. At this time I can only open Roon touching the icon on my iPhone or tablet. But there I see no possibilities to check in what mode it is running.

This part sounds like it might be reinstalling:

Maybe the start icon does not get created, but the actual program might be there. Did you check if you have a roon.exe file in the install folder? The install folder should normally be this, I think:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\

Is there a roon.exe or maybe a file called something like roon.exe_old ?
(If your File Explorer is configured to hide extensions, the .exe may not be shown by default)

Is this what you mean? I notice all the files from 8-5-2023 are from before the update yesterday when the trouble started

i have found the extension hide/show option

And this happens when I execute the exe file

Good. Right-click the Roon.exe file and then click Properties in the context menu. In the new window, go to the Compatibility tab. Is the checkbox for compatibility mode checked like in the screenshot below? If so, uncheck it and click OK to close this window. Then try running Roon.exe again with a doubleclick. Does it start now?

1 Like

Thank you so much !!!
After my second bout of covid I am left with post-covid resulting in a severe lack of (short term)memory and concentration. Simple things are not simple at all anymore and I can no more function in my job. Things like this are way beyond my capabilities nowadays. Thank you so much for coming to the rescue!! Very much appreciated!!
Denis L. Whitton

1 Like

Great that that worked! You can create a launcher icon manually, if that’s missing. (Do you know how?)

And do you have any idea how this compatibility setting got applied? Did you at one time in the past do that yourself? Probably not?

Good luck with the long covid. My wife got the damn virus very late after being super careful during the pandemic and now suffers from it as well. It sucks!

1 Like

I’ve also suffered from Covid-19 twice. First time I’ve ended up with pneumonia in a hospital for nearly a week. It took me six weeks to recover from it.

Second round was luckily equal to a case of the flu for a few days.

I hope you’ll improve in the near future.
Good luck.

Covid is a nasty thing. Don’t let 'm tell you it’s just a flu. Sad is that it is still amongst us. Here (Europe) it is for sure. Stay safe you all. A friend of mine is a surgeon and two of his colleagues are suffering from Post Covid as well which really has an effect on the waiting list for their patients, because they can only do a fraction of what they used to do.

Yeah, here in the Netherlands we also have many doctors who permanently suffer from Post Covid and are unable to continue with their job.

I do hope your wife will recover. I am ‘out of business’ for over 15 months now…
I made a new short cut to the desktop. That works. No idea how the setting got applied. It was ‘compatible with Windows 8’ which I never had on this machine. Went from Win7 Pro straight to Win10 Pro.
Thanks again and all the best!

1 Like