Roon app on iPhone (iOS 13.1.2) crashes

Again just another crash. This is a continuous experience stretching over different iPhones (XR, 12pro). No VPN tools, always latest iOS. Different Roon versions - always the same annoyance.

Also I almost gave up. My Roon renewal is paused and I am determined to let it phase out, as to what I perceive Roon is either not willing, not capable or simply not interested to solve this. There are simply no excuses, as this is happening for so long and has been reported to support ever since.

1 Like

What type of WLAN are you on, and do you have any special network settings? There must be something that differs from the majority of users. What image cache is set in the client and what size of library?

Nothing offbeat, all standard. Streaming only and just a couple of hundred albums. All set to English which promised to solve some other hickup. Every setting either standard or conservative. Removed and reinstalled more often than I breathe on a normal day. WLAN is AVM’s Fritz stuff, series 3000 and now also 6000 - all APs hooked to the central Zyxel switch by ethernet. That will lead just nowhere.

The iPhone is used as a remote only and the Roon app fails more miserably than ANY OTHER app ever did. Once it dies it continues to do so until you restart the friggin device.

Honestly, given this I won’t regret too much to let Roon go, although I like it when(!) it works.

1 Like

Given that the experience on the iPad is much different, I don’t see how networking can possibly matter. It is also an issue that does not always happen but when it starts happening it happens always. My library is about 16k albums. Image cache is the default in both iPad and iPhone cases.

1 Like

I believe the issue is in the “retina” resolution. When it’s 2x it’s working fine, but the “super retina” devices are effected (my XS, the X, 11, 12…).

I’ve been having this issue for a loooooong time, and it starts when browsing through a lot of albums, pages, etc.

Do you have an iPad with cellular capabilities? I am just speculating here though, as something “must” be different…

And, something i was wondering, what is a “crash” in this context?
App unexpectedly shuts down with an Apple message stating something went wrong or just a silent shutdown with no further messages?

As an example, my iPad app sometimes shuts down when i switch (through app switcher) back to it after the iPad slept. (Not always, just sometimes.) It starts immediately again though so it’s not particulalry bothersome, to me.

Yes, I do, and that’s surely not it.

There are ways to pull out the system logs from the iPhone. These indicate the OS has killed the app purposefully because of some breach. I forget if it goes as far as saying it is a memory use breach.

These crashes are different. You start the app and a few seconds later it crashes. And it does that every single time (once the crash starts happening). My expectation is there’s some cache held that gets too big as the issue persists between sessions. And given that the difference between iOS and iPadOS is the GUI component, I would expect the issue is there.

1 Like

Hi all, please see my post below and fill out the linked form – thank you! I’m going to close this thread in favor of the other one.