Roon app on iPhone (iOS 13.1.2) crashes

I just came across this thread; my iOS app (iPhone X, iOS 14.3) has been quitting unexpectedly for probably a month now, maybe more. It’s usually after only 5-10 seconds of usage, and force-quitting and restarting the app makes no difference. Restarting the actual phone, as suggested here, has provided some stability, but I guess I’ll see how long it lasts?

It will not last long. The bug doesn’t disappear. It is puzzling that the Roon team has been so powerless here.

Has there been any progress made on this?? I have an iPhone 12 Pro, and am experiencing the same issue! I installed Roon about two weeks ago, but the issue began 2-3 days ago. I’ve rebooted app, restarted phone, and cleared cache. Nothing helps. It’s a bit disappointing because as much as I enjoy Roon, my primary interface is my phone, since I’m not always close to one of my computers. There was an offer by Roon in another post to provide those who wanted to test and share their logs a different version to try. Is that still an option?? Do you know if anyone participated in this test on an iOS device?

Similar issues here. Crashes after 10s. 12pro. Had these problems with earlier phones and versions of Roon. Sometimes it would work ok for weeks but never really stopped. Gone totally bonkers the last days now.

I’ve still got the issue on the latest version of Roon 1.8 (756) with my iPhone XS and iOS 14.4. Randomly crashes when scrolling through albums. Or loading albums on artist pages…

That’s a shame! I was expecting maybe the rewrote the ios app without all those memory leaks.

Yeah me too…

I have been having the same issues with Roon since 2019 when you posted this. It works on my iPad 98% of the time with no crashes. I’m using iPhone 12 OS 14.2.2 with latest Roon on core an app on phone. Today it started crashing 10-15 sec after choosing a song.

I had this same thing, it’s been pretty stable generally but today it started crashed repeatedly. Uninstalling the Roon app, turning off the phone, then turning back on and reinstalling seems to have sorted it out (until the next time it starts happening). Good luck!

1 Like

I’ve had this issue forever with my iPhone X as well.
All software is current on phone and roon nucleus.
iPad works great.
It is maddening.
Does Roon need more people to share our info?
If so, I’m happy to.
I’ve tried fixes mentioned in this thread and nothing helps.

This is the thread discussing the issue: iOS devices crashing on 1.8 [Roon Investigating]

The issue has not changed from previous versions of Roon (at least 1.7, maybe even further behind). It seems to me there is either a memory leak or poor memory management and it seems to me that iOS is killing the Roon app on the iPhone because of this. The iPhone app GUI is not the same as the iPad one, and if I had to guess, it would be that the memory issues happen in the GUI component. The fact that this has not been solved over what seems like two years now is mind-boggling to be honest.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. This is indeed brutal.
Sounds like there’s little hope.
It’s odd that this isn’t more widespread, I wonder what the determining factor is for those of us afflicted.

I use a TON of iOS apps. Very few have ever had a crash issue like this, none where it had not been resolved.

From logs various people have posted, the following seems clear:

1- It is iOS killing the Roon app purposefully because some limit (likely memory) has been breached

2- It does not seem to happen on the iPadOS version: It has never happened to me there thus far but the app has at times crashed. But it is very rare, almost never in mid-use, and it is not as forceful and consistent as when the iOS app starts to crash

So from this evidence I gather it is an issue, likely a memory leak, in the branch of the code that handles the iOS GUI.

What is puzzling to me is how come this has not been resolved yet. Has Apple been asked to help profile the issue? Surely you must see a memory leak in a simulator. I don’t understand how this is not resolved!

3 Likes

A hundred times this. :+1:
No other app died like Roon Remote. And certainly no other thereafter continues to crash after 20 seconds until the iPhone is restarted.

This is very sad - even now on iOS 14.5.1 and iPhone 12 Pro the consistent crash is back with the latest app version :frowning:

Here is temporary fix

Press the Volume up quickly let go
Press the volume down quickly let go

Hold power button till prompt restart

This is a harsh solution. Basically cold boots the phone without a proper shutdown. Not recommended.

But this also points to mem leaks as the mem caches between sessions gets cleared.

3 Likes

If had to take a wild guess, it would be that the failure is in the management of image caches. It seems to be the case that a cleared cache allows the app to work until the cache fills up again.

It would also be nice if somehow we knew that the Roon dev team cares!

2 Likes

Still interested in any theories why this only seem to affect a small nubber of users? Conflicting app? Language settings? VPN’ stuff?
I don’t see these crashes, and i use three iPhones and two iPads regularly.