Roon app opens, I see last played, then it crashes [Resolved - Windows update issue]

I’m experiencing the same

ISSUE:
If I’m connected to my LAN/WiFi: Win10 x64 Roon app opens, I see last played, then it crashes.
If I’m not connected to my LAN/WiFi: Roon stays open and does not crash, but obv can’t access anything.

Other Roon endpoints run fine (core, iOS, linux bridges) and I can play music fine, but can’t use the win10 app to do so (which is frustrating for making use of loved tracks and browsing).

SETUP:
Core: v1.7 build 667 running on arch linux
Win10 app: v1.7 build 667

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS TAKEN:

1. restart win10
  2. uninstall/re-install win10 Roon app via RoonInstaller64.exe (v1.7 build 667)

UPDATE:
FIXED: Ran Roon app in windows compatibility mode:

1. right click on roon icon
  2. troubleshoot compatibility
  3. selected ‘Worked in previous versions of windows’
  4. ‘I don’t know’ for version
  5. It automatically selected windows vista
  6. Success: Roon app stays open

I’ve deduced that the 20H2 Windows 10 update ( December 8, 2020—KB4592438 (OS Builds 19041.685 and 19042.685) ) is likely the culprit as things started going haywire after this. Non sequitur: I also had to to a bunch of win10 boot recovery as the win10 update bungled my linux dual boot.

2 Likes

Trying to take over completely :joy:

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.