Roon app volume suddenly goes to max. By itself!

While listening, all of a sudden the volume turned itself up. Nothing touched the ipad, no one moved the volume knob. The volume slider in the app suddenly started to slide to max. Nothing helped, not even the Devialet remote. Only switching off the amp helped, hopefully just before the speakers got damaged.

Immediately I changed the max volume settings in the roon app to a level that cannot harm the speakers.

After restarting the app I reproduced the issue immediately. After restarting the app again everything worked just fine.

This issue makes me very insecure, for leaving the music playing could result in blowing up the speakers, or at least annoying the neigbours quite a bit.

Apple iPad Pro, iOS latest version,
Roon app for iOS latest version
Devialet 200 with remote
Martin Logan Summit

This has been noted as being a problem with Devialet amps in the past.
If you haven’t already, may I suggest that you take a look on Devialet Chat, where you will find more information on this problem?
This happened to me a few weeks ago. Exactly the same as you, the slider made no difference. I could reduce the volume with it, but as soon as I took my finger off the screen, it went up. The Devialet remote would turn the sound down, but as soon as I stopped turning, up it would go. Like you, I had to turn the amp off. It hasn’t happened again and I wonder whether there was a bug that was fixed in the last Devialet firmware update.

Hello @RvdH,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue and sorry to hear that it jumped up to max volume, this should not be happening.

Can I please ask you to reproduce this issue once more and note the exact local time in your country (e.g. 11:24PM) that it occurs afterwards Private Message me the email address associated with your account?

I would like to enable diagnostics mode to take a look to see if there is any information regarding this issue in the logs. If you do not wish to reproduce this issue (or you can’t) do you by any chance remember the approximate timeframe that it occurred at? We can try to take a look around those timestamps after you provide the email address.

Thanks,
Noris

@RvdH, notwithstanding @noris’s request if you haven’t already done so it would be a wise precaution to replace the batteries in your Devialet’s remote control. If the batteries are running down, sometimes the remote control has a mind of its own and can raise the volume just as you described. It’s possible that the Roon app might have just “watched” this happen without having anything to do with it.

Hi @Ian,

The batteries were brand new Duracells, but you might be right the = remote caused it. I’ll contact Devialet.

Thanks.

Mine also did it with a fresh set of Duracells in it. When the last set of batteries were depleted, it didn’t cause the problem. I don’t know whether this has been fixed, so I’m worried about leaving my amps playing unattended.

I force-quited the app on my iPad and restarted it right away. It happened again.
After force-quiting the app for a third time everything was back to normal.

It was about 15 minutes before I wrote the first version of the post here. After that I edited the post, but the first version was about 10-15 minutes after it happened.

Hi Axel (Alex),

Thanks for your post! Very helpfull.

I tried to find the topic you mentioned on the Devialet site, but did not find it right away. I’ll try again later. I run 10.1.0 software on my Devialet; apparently this bug was not fixed.
What was the conclusion on Devialet Chat? Devialet or Roon?

It’s a Devialet fault. I’ll dig out some posts and put a link here.

Wow, that is very kind.
Thank you very much!

No problem,
Here’s the link: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Random-volume-drop
There is another thread that I can’t find, but if you have a dig around on DC, you’ll probably find it.
It would be worth you joining the Devialet Chat forum. It’s a mine of information and you’ll find us an easy bunch to get on with!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Volume Changing By Itself

Yes and no. As far as I know, Devialet is mentioned quite a few times in connection to this problem. Devialet did not seem to be surprised and replaced my remote without getting too difficult.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.