Roon application keeps dropping out of tablet android after use and has to be restarted

Core Machine

Network Details

Audio Devices

Library Size

Description of Issue

When I start the Roon app it works fine. If I switch to another app and later want to use the roon app again, it falls away and I have to restart the app. This only with my tablet. The Roon app on my PC works fine. It won’t go away if I’ve done other work.

Just another Roon user trying to help you.

This is what Android usually does with Apps in the background to save energy. Do you have created an exception for Roon in the Android energy settings?

1 Like

Hi @Paul_de_Man,

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please can you edit your post and provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Hello @Paul_de_Man,

Thanks a lot for getting in touch and sharing the behavior you’re experiencing - sorry about that!

Could you please tell us more about the tablet you’re using as a Roon Remote? :nerd_face:

I use a Galaxy tab A (2018,10.5) , serial number SM-T595

Hi @Paul_de_Man ,

Are you using the latest build of the Roon app (updated in the Play store)? What do you have your battery optimization settings configured to, do you have battery saver turned off for Roon? Can you please record a short video of the issue and upload + post a link here? Thanks!

Roon does this pretty much on any Android device I have owned regardless of battery settings and it’s got worse with the latest versions I have found.

If battery optimisation is on it just plays havoc completely with the app such as black screen on return or it just gets stuck loading with the Roon jellyfish on certain pages. Battery optimisation off it does the same behaviour as the op and will shut down if left in the background for a while. I have had a Samsung s6, Samsung tab s2, One plus 5 and now a Pixel 4 they have all done the same. I have had several tickets about this over the years and no proper resolution.

It feels to me the Android app is using too many resources and the OS is reacting to it. Not one other app I use has this behaviour and these are other audio control apps, or stuff like Plex. Only Roon exhibits this issue. They all remain active in the background and return without issues.

Please can the Dev team look into this as it’s been around way too long and gives a very poor user experience. User experience is supposed to be one on Roons USP. No one should really have to change phone settings in order to get an app to work correctly. Is this likely down to this not being a native Android app?