Roon Arc Freezes & Crashes on iPhone 14 Pro Max iOS 17.5.1 (ref#SV07G8)

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

· Other

Describe the issue

Roon Arc Freezes & Crashes constantly on iphone 14 pro max iOS 17.5.1 (performs WAY better on Android 12 on Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G), all from local wifi network

Describe your network setup

Netgear 5Ghz wifi, wifi networking performance is not the issue

I am not ready to give up Roon ARC on iphone. Or, maybe i am.

Searching for something recent similar in symptom has led me to following discussion, that has been closed,

ARC crashing all the time - Support - Roon Labs Community

Difference is that i “do have” comparison phones albeit Android 12 versus iOS 17.5.1 for comparing the Roon ARC performance. Both phones are running the latest update to the respective Roon ARC app.

How can i help Roon troubleshoot this?

On iPhone, playback is just miserable. Stops after few seconds of playback. And app “crashes”. Have to reopen, play, sometimes will continue to play, but the app is completely frozen. Force close. Restart. Play again. Freezes, app crahses. And repeats.

On Android, i do get app closure, but very seldom. The uptime and playback continues, and Roon ARC remains responsive.

My a/b/a testing is with “same” headphones, Bluetooth Sony earbuds and over the hear headphones. Roon servers are on wired Ethernet, home wired, 1 Gb network. There is no networking issue here, either wired or wireless.

Only difference is, i move over the same headphone to Android, better experience.

Move over using same headphone to iPhone. Horrible user/customer experience.

Why is this?

How can i help Roon to further troubleshoot this?

Thank you.

Same for me.

And same for me as well.

@connor Any progress on this?

Hi @George_Shin and @miguelito,

Our team is actively investigating this issue - thank you for making noise on reporting it. I’m curious - if you open Arc and manage to enable offline mode on the troublesome devices, are you able to use Arc for a longer period?

If you set up a fresh instance of Arc, and do not download any tracks to the device, do you experience the same crashing?

I hope to have more information from our team soon. :pray:

I have removed the ios Arc app, and reinstalled, to get a baseline. Arc is connected to server. And has completed the initial sync.

Again, i do not download any tracks. I do not use offline mode with Arc, never have.

But for testing and troubleshooting i am willing to do whatever takes to root cause the issue with Arc on iOS.

I expect the stability after remove/reinstall.

And as before, the symptoms will return.

Then what?

I have never used ARC in offline mode or downloaded any music for offline listening. This would defeat my purpose for using ARC altogether.

All of my experience is with downloading ARC, having it work for a few days, then crash approx 20 seconds after launch regardless of what I do - ie even without doing anything. It seems the initial startup is reloading data and it hits a memory threshold where iOS decides to kill the process.

I have reinstalled the app multiple times and the result is always the same.

Off and on playing for few hours today since the removal and reinstall ~21 hours ago, symptom remains absent.

But then again, this is not unusual, to be expected.

Will report back, daily with status.

Past 2 days, no issue since uninstall and reinstall, probably picked up new app update. Anyway, continue testing as 2 days isn’t long enough yet sample.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

· Other

Describe the issue

Symptom reproduced, Roon Arc Freezes & Crashes on iPhone 14 Pro Max iOS 17.5.1

Describe your network setup

Netgear 5Ghz wifi, wifi networking performance is not the issue

Unclear why the previous case was closed.

Reopen of,

Roon Arc Freezes & Crashes on iPhone 14 Pro Max iOS 17.5.1 (ref#SV07G8) - Support - Roon Labs Community

Symptom is (again) easily reproducing.

What is the next step?

It had been marked a solved, and the system automatic closes after 2 days of inactivity.

I’ve now reopened and merged topics so all the history is together.

Problem continues.

Hi @George_Shin,

We don’t have any immediate next steps for you, unfortunately, as our team is still investigating the issue.

One option for testing is to create a completely fresh Roon database, and test if Arc crashing still occurs. I’ll share the steps on how to refresh your database below:

• Make a Backup of your current RoonServer Database
  • Exit out of RoonServer
  • Navigate to your RoonServer’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Reinstall the RoonServer App from our Downloads Page to generate a new RoonServer folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Roon Server” and connect to the new database

Do not yet restore from a backup. Test Arc on the completely fresh database and see if your crashing still occurs. Pending that test, you could then attempt to sync a single streaming service to your account, and continue to test if crashing occurs.

I hope to have additional information to share soon.

What/where is the Roon team(s) investigating in/at?

Create a completely fresh Roon database? I can do that, but can Roon give me a temporarily license to do just that in my backup Roon server? I cannot mess with my primary Roon server.

As i said, i am willing to do what’s necessary.

Also, how is what’s being asked help to differentiate between ios and android app of Arc ?

bumping this

Hi @George_Shin,

The investigation is still underway - no need to bump anything. When there is new information to share, you’ll get notified!

If you’re not able to test a fresh database with your current setup, this is fine. I’ll share more information when it’s presented, thank you!

I can, but not in my main root server setup.

Does roon still have trial license that i can use in my “other” roon server setup?