Roon ARC - iOS cellular connection to Core fails ("poor connection - retry") + Core crashes

Thanks @Greg_Ince we’ll take a closer look at the crash log you’ve sent over!

This would be a good device to test as a core! Here is a help article on migrating cores, although since this is just a test, you don’t have to restore from a backup on your new core (unless you are only using local tracks in your library, and not streaming anything from Tidal/Qobuz when using Arc.)

A quicker breakdown would be to:

1. Download Roon on your MBP
  2. Connect your MBP to your existing core (you’ll set up the MBP as a Roon Remote at first)
  3. Head into Roon Settings> General (on the MBP)
  4. Disconnect from your original Core - then select ‘Use This Mac’

This will move your core to the MBP, and will also kick off a brand new database, so things will look as if you just started using Roon. This is where (if you’d like) you could load a saved backup, or for testing purposes, just re-log into Tidal/Qobuz.

An important thing to note when using the MBP as a core, Roon won’t be able to connect if the computer falls asleep, so I would make sure to adjust the system settings properly to make sure when you’re out and about testing Arc, your MBP doesn’t fall asleep and lose connection. :slightly_smiling_face:

Let me know if this helps, and makes sense!

OK @Benjamin - I’ll wait to hear if you unearth anything interesting from the crash report.

Glad I’ll be able to set up a test Core, which could be helpful, and those steps make sense. I’ve already got the Roon app running, as a Roon Remote on my MBP, so I’m already part of the way there.

What happens to my existing core when I follow these steps?

And, would this do anything destructive, or, require me to take steps to then return to it?

I’m not clear if this is creating a second core, or, swapping over to a new core, temporarily - and I don’t think I would be wanting to ditch my current core by accident! :slight_smile:

Hey @Greg_Ince,

You can always perform a manual backup of your current roon database as a first step. Nothing will happen to your existing core, you can follow the same steps with heading into Roon Settings>General to re-connect back to it.

You’re swapping over to a new core temporarily in this case. It’s a common thing performed by many users when testing or troubleshooting. :+1:

Great - that all makes sense. Thanks, @benjamin

HI @Benjamin,

I’ve been encountering poor connection issues, again, in the last couple of days.

The most recent instance is around 09:25 today.

I suspect it’s actually an issue with my mobile provider’s signal, but would be grateful if you could take a look at the logs and report anything you can see.

I encountered this again around 8:30 this morning, too, as well as poor connections issues that eventually went on to resolve themselves yesterday (Sunday) which began around midday, I think.

Otherwise, things have generally been quite stable! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the update @Greg_Ince!

We will certainly take a closer look and follow up soon.

Thanks, @benjamin - FWIW, and in case the contrast is helpful to noted things have been stable again today.

Hi @benjamin another one this morning, while I’m out and about. Between 10:00 and 10:10.

Unfortunately, my wife isn’t in hand this time to restart Roon in case that fixes the issue.

Did you find anything in the logs last time - think this time is probably the same issue.

Thanks,

Geeg

@benjamin Just confirming a subsequent core restart resolved the issue, as usual.

@benjamin

Further to recent posts, I’ve had more drop outs and poor connection messages today - about an hour ago, here, a little before 12:00.

I noticed that they may correlate to movement of my cellular connection from 4g to 5g and back - could just be Three Mobile providing poor coverage / throughput, but I thought I would mention observing it.

I changed from Original Format to Automatically Pick Best Quality and it partially overcame the problem, but not completely.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.