Roon ARC making Roon extremely sluggish?

Roon Core Machine

Roon ROCK 2.0 (build 1234)
Intel NUC 8i7BEH2 w 24GB memory and 250GB SSD
External drive 14TB (Lacie pro)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear Orbi RBR50, cable network 200 Mbit/s
no VPN
Rock connected via ethernet to router

Connected Audio Devices

iFi ZEN Stream → Okto Dac 8 Stereo → Oppe HA-1 Headphone amp
++ (a number of audio devices on my list)

Number of Tracks in Library

220,000 tracks
Also using Qobuz service

Description of Issue

Starting in Nov 2022, my ROCK became extremely sluggish; it could take minutes to load an album or start playing a track. I tried all the normal suggestions like reinstalling operating system, rebooting etc. Could help for a short period, but after some hours it became equally sluggish again. So I decided to start debugging: added more memory to my NUC, replaced the external hard drive, switched to a Mac mini with Roon Server (using backup from ROCK). Nothing helped. Then I did a complete wipe of the Mac mini including the library, cache etc, and reinstalled Roon and reloaded all music into the library. It seemed good at first, but after a few hours it went extremely sluggish again. Note that ARC connected automatically after reinstalling on the Mac mini. I finally turned off uPnP on my router and did a complete reinstall of everything on my NUC ROCK (note that simply “turning off” ARC by giving incorrect port did not help with the sluggishness). And, finally, I am back to basic. Everything works with essentially no delay whatsoever. So happy! Note that ARC now is “Not Ready” since UPnP is turned off on my router,.

The only conclusion I can draw is that ARC was causing all the trouble. I am tempting to turn on uPnP and ARC to see if this is the case, but I am somewhat reluctant given all the time it takes to reinitialise the system again if I am right, i.e., if ARC is the troublemaker.

What I do not understand is why Roon does not have an option to switch ARC on and off, or at least install Roon without ARC.

As a final remark, I was extremely happy when ARC was released since I then could access my library when at work and in my car. So I hope to be able to use it again sometime in the future… And then also on my office iMac.

1 Like

Set the arc port to 0 (zero)

Well, if you read my post I did so, but did not help (when ARC had already been up and running). Not sure why, but I guess something is changed when you first have connected to ARC once. So setting the port to 0 after complete reinstall may have helped, but not after having first had ARC up and running.

Like you, I reset the database repeatedly to no avail. The whole core became sluggish, the response was very slow, and the playback of songs was also very slow. I saw that many people reported the slow problem in the forum, and I also suspected that it was caused by arc.

Now, one week later I am not so happy anymore. Roon is becoming very sluggish again, and appears to become slower for every day. And, ARC is still not in action, so can not be the reason after all. Beats me, but could it be a server problem at Roon?

When I am listening to music using the roon arc software for more than an hour, the running speed of my roon core will become very slow, and the roon arc software will also stop working. Only after logging into the server of the roon core and restarting the roon core will the roon arc software function normally again until it exceeds an hour.

Well, my conclusion is that ARC is not the (sole) problem; I reinstalled everything including the library and do not run ARC and Roon core is becoming slower and slower day by day. Almost useless again by now. And, no response from Support!

This is a good thread for me continuing to troubleshoot why my Nucleus+ is unusable — will set my port to 0 but the number of complaints about sluggishness really makes me wonder why there’s not a better support communication for a seemingly widespread issue