Roon ARC not downloading in the background [iOS 16.5.1]

As the title states, with a library of almost 7,000 songs it is almost impossible to leave it downloading because it requires for the app to be open at all times.

I’ve tried locking my phone and waiting for an hour to see if the download progress changed, it did not. So now I have to leave my OLED screen on with the risk of burn in in order to download all of my music. I hope the folks over at roon make it so we can download music in the background as this functionality has been available since iOS 13.

They have already said it’s a limitation of the Os and how they currently do downloads. As it’s slow to start with it seems to hit a time-out limit and then stop. PlexAmp has same limitations but as it’s quick at downloading so it tends to complete an album before it’ times out. Queue up loads it will do the same as Roon and stop.

You can though. Roon just needs to implement it into Arc;

I know that it’s possible in certain situations. ARC isn’t one of them. They already said why, just cant find the post about it.

1 Like

That is really unfortunate… I do hope they get it to work at some point, because with large libraries it is a huge pain.

Update:

After 8 hours only 3,800 songs downloaded out of the roughly 7k

The phone got SO HOT that it had to stop charging, even off charger the battery would completely drain in 4 hours. I am cancelling the download, this is just bad for the phone at this point.

I hope that a project to improve this is under way by now:

Hi @Akella,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in such precise detail with the team.

We’ve taken your reports seriously and very much appreciate your candor and specificity. Reviewing diagnostics, we can see the clear story of your recent session in ARC during your second trial. Here are some thoughts the team wanted to pass along:

1. There was considerable memory pressure reported by the framework. While 7000 tracks is not an insignificant load for a phone, the stress on the RAM is not normal nor expected within ARC for this model. ARC Development is working seriously to overhaul and improve the current download implementation - what you experienced is a growing pain, the sharp expanding edge of ARC’s capabilities.

2. Logs seem to indicate that upon first redownloading, you encountered a database malfunction as a result of having ARC previously installed in an older build during your trial in November. This no doubt soured your experience right off the bat, but fortunately, it’s a known issue that will soon be history once work to overhaul ARC connectivity comes through the pipeline.

3. Background download functionality is something we’re working on, but we don’t have a timeline or any precise details of the implementation at this time. We recognize the enormous utility, particularly for large-library users and fans of USB DACs.

4. Bell Canada Home Hub and Gigahub users have a harder time than most; this gateway functionality is not intuitive for port forwarding and requires advanced bridging in some cases. I assume from your previous post that a manual rule resolved the connectivity issue. I suggest you leave the rule in place if you plan to try ARC again in the future.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Same as here
Hope roon can make this in future update

+1 for fix

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.