Roon automatic or manual backups always fail

manual backups fail too

Pardon? Are you not using any AV protection on your PC? Support has found that the Backup is failing because some other application has opened a backup file while the backup is being made. Are you sure that you know what software has been installed and running on your PC?

nope, no AV (they interfe with other software). I have all the windows stuff (defender etc) turned off and have not installed any AV programs. i use a hardware firewall on my router, but that would not affect internal backup. Weirdā€¦I just went in and went through the setting again. windows ā€œreal time protectionā€ had turned itself on (probably after the last reboot). I turned it off and roon backed up. do you want the log?

wellā€¦failed again. both before and after turning off Windows ā€œReal Time Protectionā€ I will upload the logs. On my last attempt, i created a new folder on a different hard drive.

Hi @Jim_Fuerstenberg ,

Can you please check to see if the behavior is the same after our Roon release from today? Your backup errors look strange, so I am escalating this over to the team for closer review, but it would be good to have confirmation that Roon build 952 still displays this behavior, thanks!

Hi @noris: Just backed up after the latest update and still working perfectly on both USB and NAS

I updated with the current release and tried to backup to two different locations. Both failed. I will upload logs.

Jim

I performed a restart of the computer, then forced a back upā€¦it worked. Seems pretty random

Hi @Jim_Fuerstenberg ,

What is the file system that you are using on your backup destination? Are they NTFS, FAT, exFAT? It looks like when the backup is failing, something is trying to access files that Roon needs to back up.

Are you able to delete old unused backups without issue from within Roon? Do you have any other apps which may be using the Roon files when this occurs, such as Dropbox or another file backup service?

I would also suggest running an SFC test on the operating system to see if there are any issues, instructions on how to achieve this can be found below:

The folder where roon is backed up is NTFS. I am pretty sure I can delete wihout issue. but since i just successfully backed up on 6/7, i hesitate to delete now. I did run SFC and it said it found and corrected corrupted files.

I do have a NAS on my network, but this problem occurred prior to it being installed. I did just change the ROOn backup schedule so it would not overlap the QNAP NAS backup.

1 Like

Hi @Jim_Fuerstenberg ,

Iā€™m wondering if the corrupted files could have been a cause of the issue, do let us know if you notice the same issue occur agian.

it was strangeā€¦I will raise the issue if it happens again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.