Roon Backup to mac fails after one Backup with Backup Drive Full

• Apple Mac M3 24GB, 2TB SSD Sonoma 14.4.1
  • Roon Rock Core server 2.0 (1407)
  • Mac Client Roon 2.0 (1407)

My Roon backup used to work pretty well, backing up Roon DB to my Mac via a shared drive and SMB. However now it seems to do one backup and then stops with the error message that the backup drive is full, which it isn’t (1.5TB available).

This seems simliar to https://community.roonlabs.com/t/backup-fail-selected-drive-is-full/145944 - but I cannot add to that as it is closed.

Does anybody have any idea?

Network shares sometimes report the wrong amount of free space, i.e., reporting root free space. It would be really helpful if you shared details of your setup, including the network storage.

I’ve moved the thread to Support.

Thanks for your reply Martin. I am a bit confused about Network Storage, so I will try and provide some more information about my setup. My Roon Rock NUC Music server has dual drives installed, 250MB for OS and 2TB for Music.

Nuc in a Turing Case from Quiet PC.

• Intel 8th Gen NUC Core i7-8559U 4C/8T 2.7 - 4.5 GHz
  • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250MB NVMe M.2
  • Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD

I am trying to backup from the NUC to a Shared folder on my Mac, details in the first post. The relevant network connections are Ethernet from NUC to Router (Netgear NightHawk RAXE500) and then Wireless to Mac.

Is there anything else you need ?

The relevant part is the Mac. What size drive does this have, and how much free space is this reporting?

1 Like

Hi @Russ,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! You’re in good hands with @Martin_Webster :+1:

I’d also be curious to see if the same issue occurs with the Mac also hardwired to the same router - if you’re able to give that a try.

We’ll be on standby for your reply! :pray:

1 Like

Thanks Martin, my Mac has 2TB SSD of which 1.5TB free. There are no other storage limits set on the SMB share.

Hi Benjamin, sadly I am unable to try a wired connection.

I’m out of ideas, especially as I no longer use Apple hardware. I guess you could double-check that the SMB service has full disk access.

1 Like

Thanks again Martin, I am at a loss as well. The SMB service does have full disk access. I tried re-creating another folder for backup and this also worked first time… I rebooted my Mac, tried again and ‘Backup failed…/ Selected Drive is Full’.
There are no errors in the Mac System Log?
Very annoying!

Hi @Russ,

Thanks for the additional information! After reviewing a fresh diagnostic report, and it looked like the backup failed due to an SMB error, not due to storage.

I’d be interested to see if you have the same error if you try to connect to the share via IP address instead of Hostname on the Mac. Let me know if you’re able to set this up! :+1:

1 Like

benjamin, I have tried again with the localhost and then edited it to the IP address but now get ‘There was an Unexpected Error’.

So I changed the share again, rebooted and tried with the IP address but only get ‘There was an Unexpected Error’ when trying to add a network share.

Your screenshot of the scheduled backups that you have set up worries me.

Via a network share, you have set up a backup folder in the 2TB SSD in the NUC which should only be used for music storage.

From the Backup article:

We strongly recommend that you do not set the location of Database Backups to be within any Watched Folders because Roon will try to scan that directory and scan the Database Backup itself. This can cause issues, so please keep the locations separate.

If you want to set up a scheduled backup on your NUC, then you should add a USB drive to hold the backup folder and add it by browsing the local storage, not via a network share. Similar to this:

2 Likes

Backup to an attached USB HDD. You won’t ever have a problem. I took one out of an old computer and got a case from Amazon.

Thank Geoff and Jim, it was a temporary measure as my SMB backup was not reliable and I did not have a USB drive large enough to hand. I do now so will back up the DB to that instead. Obviously this is only for the DB, I backup the actual music folder to two external backup drive, one for offsite.

1 Like

Hi @Russ,

Thanks for giving that a try! This time around we’re seeing:

Debug: [roon/cifs] tryremount, path: \\192.168.1.101\RoonDatabaseBackup
Warn: [roon/cifs] failed to connect to CIFS storage: mount error(111): could not connect to 192.168.1.101Unable to find suitable address.

To confirm, you’ve also set Roon to have full disk access as well? And, when reviewing the SMB sharing permissions on the selected folders, have you also enabled windows file sharing as well? I would re-toggle all the sharing options on this page just to be safe.

Hi benjamin, OK I’ve re-toggled everything, SMB and Roon have full disk access and windows file sharing is on as is of course SMB. I’ve rebooted my Roon Rock Core and my Mac - but now only get the ‘Unexpected Error’ no connection at all.

Oddly I am also getting errors backing up to a USB drive (ExFat) attached to the Roon Rock Core Server.
ErrorL Backup failed at 9:54:57 / Error backing up database

Any suggestions?

Hi @Russ,

Thanks for giving that a try, and I’m sorry to hear your issues persist!

This looks like an I/O error, Roon is showing the device is currently set to read-only based on the latest diagnostic report:

Warn: [backup] failed to syncprepare: could not write root file: AttachedDir:/roon/sys/storage/mounts/RoonDBBakup_USB_DISK_3_0_070B517061DC0122_663E-4AEC-p2/RoonDatabaseBackups/RoonBackups/_roon_backup_: 
Result[Status=UnexpectedError, ErrorText=System.IO.IOException: Read-only file system

Can you confirm the USB drive is set to read/write?

We’re seeing reoccurring general network-based errors between the Mac and your ROCK - have you investigated the Mac firewall at all? What happens if you temporarily disable it and attempt a backup?

I’d suggest doing the same for any other third-party security software installed on the Mac. Let me know!

Thanks @benjamin:

I turned off the Firewall and it works, turn on the Firewall and it still works??? Reboot (with Firewall on) and it does not work. Turn off Firewall again and it works and then turning it back on it still works.

Very weird indeed. As far as I can see everthing on the Firewall is as it should be, File Sharing (SMB) is allowed incoming connections etc. Is this something odd with SMB on Mac?

Roon does have Full Disk Access.

What can you see on your end?

I am unable to get to the Roon server at the moment but can have a look later today. But I am pretty sure it is write enabled and that it had done at least one backup? Is the exFat format OK?

Try opening ports 139 and 445.

Thanks @Martin_Webster, as far as I can see port 445 is open and 139 is not. Is 139 required these days, I thought this was netbios and SMB can run over TCP now?

Still getting the same ‘Disk Full’ errors.

Probably not … but ROCK may be using SMB 1.0, so I thought I’d add this. Moreover, with 445, you can only use IP addresses. For name resolution, I think you need 137 and 138, too (unless these have changed.)