Roon Backups fail and Roon fails to load

I am having two issues that are probably connected.

1 - Within the last month, when I open Roon on my iPhone, iPad or any device there is an error message and it cannot connect to my ROCK NUC.

If I restart the NUC it is able to load and works fine when I am on the app. However, when I try to open the app after a day or so, the same issue comes up.

2 - My backups have been failing. However, when I restart the NUC and force a backup, the backup works.

Hi @Jason_Finn,

We’ve enabled diagnostics for your account to help identify any logged errors that reach our servers.

There’s a generic failure attempting to backup to a Dropbox location caused by a filepath conflict. Additionally, RoonServer is documenting an excess of files in some of the Backups in that location, potentially because you have multiple overlapping Backup processes targetting the same location.

There’s additionally an Out of Memory exception when Roon attempts to Backup to a local external drive. Can you verify that you haven’t overloaded the storage capacity of your local backup location?

Concerning network connectivity issues, some knowledge of your network topology will greatly expedite our ability to troubleshoot. Can you please list the hardware in your network setup and how it is connected (routers, switches, and endpoints)?

I only have one backup going to Dropbox.

There’s additionally an Out of Memory exception when Roon attempts to Backup to a local external drive. Can you verify that you haven’t overloaded the storage capacity of your local backup location?

I forced a rescan and the backup worked. See screenshot.

Concerning network connectivity issues, some knowledge of your network topology will greatly expedite our ability to troubleshoot. Can you please list the hardware in your network setup and how it is connected (routers, switches, and endpoints)?

I have a NUC that runs ROCK which is connected via Ethernet to a Google nest which is connected to my modem for xfinity.

Hello @Jason_Finn ,

Thanks for letting us know that your backup worked last time. Are you still having further issues, or has your system been stable since your last message?

I thought it was good but just yesterday after a few days of not using Roon, but I leave it on, it had trouble connecting and I had to restart my NUC.

Hi @Jason_Finn,

We’ve released a new build in the last week - has performance improved on the NUC since then?

No, I still have to restart my NUC, and usually when I open Roon after a day or two because it says there is a problem.

Hi @Jason_Finn,

Ok, we’ve pulled diagnostics and encountered errors related to what we’d reported back before:

It’s probably best to send a screenshot of your Scheduled Backups tab from Roon Settings. Do you have multiple Scheduled Backups pointing to the same location?

There’s an additional problem with Backups. The external drive connected as a Backup location is still out of memory and RoonServer doesn’t have sufficient space to generate a new Backup.

Lastly, the RoonServer machine seems to lose connectivity to the internet occasionally in logs due to changes in network reachability. This affects Tidal and other services in the window we analyzed. These particular status codes are generic but often associated with either firewall/network security activity or a failure with the DNS server assigned in your router. I recommend verifying you have a reliable DNS server assigned like Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS.

Thank you for pulling the diagnostics. Here is the screenshot you requested.

Can you tell me which backup is full? I believe it the one connected to the Core Kit, correct? It seems it made a backup three days ago. How can I delete old backups?

Can you tell me more about how I check my DNS server? I use Comcast and a Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modem.

I think you have too many backups going on at the same time. They are all scheduled for 2am (previously 1am). Every 3 days, 4 days, and 5 days will eventually overlap each other. Fix a schedule so that they can never happen at the same time.

Here’s mine…

EDIT: I don’t know what happens if your Roon server has two or more backups scheduled at the same time and day. It’s easy enough to prevent this. Just pick a different time for each scheduled backup.

2 Likes

My backups do not go to the same hard drive though. Should I still not have them at the same time?

The backups on the NUC/ROCK system seem to have two schedules occurring at the same time to the same destination? As @Jim_F suggests, it would be better to separate these into distinct backup folders.

These are my backups now. How do they look?

2 Likes

Hi @Jason_Finn,

Following up on your thread, are you still having issues on the latest Roon release?

No, still crashing every few days.

Seems related to backups. I changed the schedule so they wouldn’t overlap. I don’t know why it is failing. Don’t know why there wouldn’t be enough room as Roon is only supposed to save a set number of backups and I’ve had this backup for quite awhile.

Again tonight.

Hi @Jason_Finn,

Thanks for the update! The crashing and library loading failure is likely still due to corruption triggered by being out of memory:

Error: [broker/database] corruption detected: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
-
unexpected error doing backup on FileBrowser.Entry: \\DiskStation, Music : \RoonBackups1326\RoonBackups:

If you temporarily disable and remove this location from your Roon Server, do you still experience issues?

I deleted that backup schedule. However, I’m a little confused why it is out of memory as the backup was in my Synology NAS and it appears to be working fine. Also, my Roon server is on my ROCK that is on a NUC. Can you shed some light on that?

Thanks.

Hi @Jason_Finn,

My apologies here, I’m unsure what additional information you’re seeking, can you be more specific?

Can you review the storage settings within the NAS itself? What is the remaining storage on the device when viewing it outside of Roon?

Don’t quite understand why I would be out of memory. My storage is fine it appears.