Roon Bridge on Mac OsX

Greetings, I’ve been running Roon Core successfully for quite a while on a dedicated Macbook Pro with media on a NAS and a SOTM-SMS200 streamer and Ayre DAC in my primary listening room. I recently added a Sonos endpoint in a different room with no problem. I also run Ipeng endpoints on iPad and iPhone no problem.

So I decided to add Roon Bridge on another Macbook Pro that has had Roon remote installed since I configured Roon. I directly attached a Chord Mojo via USB to this machine and am not having luck getting it to work. The Mojo is recognized by the Macbook Pro and successfully plays back via the Tidal OsX app. If I go to audio settings on the Roon core the Mojo does not show up at all. I’ve tried rebooting Core and Bridge machines, no luck.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Hi there,
on the machine which has got the Mojo attached, have you made sure that Roon Bridge is running? It is visible as a small Roon icon top right, next to the WLAN/Bluetooth indicators?
Does this computer “see” your other Roon server if you start the old installation of Roon on it? (In other words you see the select server dialogue)
Nevermind the Mojo, the MBP should display its other outputs if its Bridge software is running:

1 Like

Hi @TonyV ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us!

Moving forward, I wanted to touch base and see if any progress of new observations have been made since you reported this issue. Have you been able to confirm that RoonBridge is running, as suggested by Mikael?

-Eric

@support no further progress made. Yes, Roon Bridge is running on the machine with the Mojo attached. If I connect to the Core with Roon remote and check the 'About" it displays the Roon Core, Roon Remote and Roon Bridge installations as having current software revisions running. In the audio section it shows all my Airplay devices, My Ayre DAC, and my Sonos devices but nothing else.

So superficially everything looks the way I would expect it to. I’m still at a loss on getting this working. Thank You.

Okay, thanks Tony!
Can you make sure that you are on the same network by issuing a ping command from a Terminal window on the Mojo-Mac?
ping 192.168.x.y
where 192.168.x.y is replaced by the ipaddress of the Roon Core.
(Abort the Ping command by pressing [Ctrl]+[C])

You should see a response similar to this:

PING 192.168.15.11 (192.168.15.11): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.15.11: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.940 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.15.11: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.451 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.15.11: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.695 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.15.11: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.098 ms
^C
— 192.168.15.11 ping statistics —
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.695/1.046/1.451/0.274 ms

From the Macbook Pro that is Running Roon Bridge and has the Mojo USB attached.

What the Roon Core displays in “About”

@support Also just so I’m clear. Should the Roon Bridge enabled Chord Mojo show up as a zone similar to the Airplay and Sonos devices? Thanks for your assistance resolving this.

In about this mac / system report, can you see the USB settings showing the mojo connected? If not perhaps try a different usb cable or port.

@support @wizardofoz Wish it were that simple, the Chord Mojo works just fine locally on the Roon Bridge machine. I can run the Tidal app and listen to my hearts content, just can’t see the Roon Bridge machine/Chord Mojo as a Roon network device/endpoint.

Even though i’m not part of the support-team, i’ll answer anyway.
Yes, you should see the Mac’s internal sound cards, just like in my screenshot a few posts back. They would be located above the network section of Audio Setup.
Can you have a look to see if you have anything else running that might hog your audio outputs?
And thanks for the ping/tracert screens, everything looks just fine!
This is really strange!

Firewall software? Can you perform the same ping in the reverse direction? I.e. from the Core machine to the Bridge/Mojo-Mac?

Hi @TonyV ----- Thank you for the follow up and continued feedback, both are appreciated. More importantly though, thank you for your patience.

I agree with @Mikael_Ollars mention of “firewall software”. Can you please verify that there are no active firewalls or antivirus applications present on the device acting as the Roon bridge? If there are, would you kindly disable these functions and confirm if this action yields a change in behavior.

-Eric

@support @Mikael_Ollars ---- Network connectivity between the two devices is fine. A ping works both ways. The MacOsx firewall is running on both machines I disabled it with no change in status. There are no other network filters or anti-virus tools running on my home network . The problem persists.

1 Like

Thanks for verifying that information for me, @TonyV! Appreciated!

Moving forward, just to re-confirm, when you had the now “bridge MacBook Pro” acting as a “Roon remote” with the Mojo DAC connected, the application could not locate the device, correct? Is the core machine able to identify the Mojo if you mount it directly to it via USB?

Furthermore, I would like to get a set of your Roon and Roonbridge logs over to our developers for review. Please see below for instructions.

Core logs - Please use the instructions found here to sned us over loge from the device hosting your Roon Core.

RoonBridge logs - Please use the same instructions but be
advised that you are going to be looking for your “RoonBridge” folder on the MacBook Pro and not your “Roon” folder.

-Eric

@Eric To clarify; on the Macbook Pro that was exclusively a Roon remote I subsequently installed the Roon Bridge software. It installed with no problems and seems to run normally. By application if you mean Roon Remote on the same Roon Bridge Macbook the remote can not see the MOJO as a network device/endpoint.

The Mojo mounts as a USB device just fine on any machine I connect to.

Could you message me with an email address and I will send you a Google Drive link to the logs. Unless you suggest a better way to do this privately. The logs are a little over 2MB compressed.

Hi @TonyV ---- Thank you for the follow up, I will be contacting you via PM momentarily with upload instructions.

Furthermore, please allow me to clarify the above in greater detail.

“when you had the now “bridge MacBook Pro” acting as a “Roon remote” with the Mojo DAC connected, the application could not locate the device, correct?”

• I understand that you have since moved away from the MBP acting as a remote to a bridge. What I was inquiring about was if the same device (when it was a remote) could see the Mojo in the “connected to this Mac” section of your “audio” tab. From my MacBook Air remote:

57 PM

“Is the core machine able to identify the Mojo if you mount it directly to it via USB?”

• I also understand that the Mojo is being identified by all of your devices on the OS level. I should have been more specific in my wording here, apologies. When I asked the above question, I was curious if the Roon core machine is able to identify the Mojo when it is mounted directly to it in app.

-Eric

@Eric The Macbook Pro that was exclusively a Roon remote now also has the Roon Bridge software installed. I did not remove the remote software from that machine. This Macbook with Roon Remote and Roon Bridge installed does not see the device as locally connected in Roon.

And yes at the OS level the Mojo is clearly properly connected and usable as an output source. That has never been a problem.

The Macbook Pro that is the Core only has the Roon Server software installed. If I attach the Mojo to the Core it does show up as locally attached.

I’ll be sending you the logs shortly.

@Eric The logs have been uploaded as you asked with the following names “myfullemailaddressRoonBridgeLogs.zip” and "myfullemailaddressRoonCoreLogs.zip

Thanks for continuing to work on this.

1 Like

Hi @TonyV ----- Thank you again for the log files! As you are aware from my PM (which you’ve hopefully have seen :innocent:) they have been received and checked.

As per the traces found in the logs which I shared with you in my PM, I would like you to please provide the following feedback:

• Can you please briefly describe your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating and the tools being used to make those connection possible.

-Eric

@Eric Thank you very much for following up. And yes I’ll put something together and get it back to you, it will probably be a day or two as I have a full schedule next couple of days.

Awesome, thanks @TonyV! I will keep an eye out for your follow up!

-Eric