Roon Bridge -- "We have had the strongest positive experiences with Ubuntu 15.10, ..."

This quote is from the KB section titled, “Installing Roon on Linux”. I am starting a process to update a bridge I created 5-6 years ago from a NUC6CAYH that, right now, does not seem to have a workable HDMI port. My hope is to stream multichannel stuff from the bridge to the AVR (MRX720). Right now, itthe NUC seems to have Roon Server installed on it with unknown OS (see Roon UI below):

The NUC is currently feeding, via USB, my Yggy and thereon to my MRX720. Works flawlessly…for that.

I have no idea what I’m doing, just following my nose and hoping for the best.

The Title quote was my first speed bump. V15.10 is no longer available; V22.XX seems to be the current one. Would the latest version include latest firmware for HDMI, etc. or must I install that separately?

So, which version might I use for my bridge? After the Ubuntu install I intend to use the Easy Installer Roon Bridge x64.

Any and all help and advice welcome.

That’s RoonOS so Rock is installed on the nuc. You don’t need Roon Bridge as it’s part of the Os just plug it into a DAC and it should show up. You don’t have to run Rock as a server.

…unless one wants to run other software on the machine, in addition to ROCK?

Yes, my Yggy does show up when connected via USB from the NUC discussed above. But my real mystery/challenge is to coax a multi-channel experience out of the NUC. Yggy is two-channels only. So based upon other threads, I first tried running an HDMI cord from the NUC to my AVR. Result? The AVR displays the VIDEO from the NUC (text that shows the Manufacturer, Model, OS, Serial, and Hostname) but no AUDIO is forthcoming. The Input summary shows “no (audio) signal”

My bottleneck may be the AVR. I can’t get any troubleshooting answers from Anthem. [Not too surprising: the same folks said “Roon Ready” status was “coming soon” two years ago.] But, it handles an Oppo HDMI with audio and video without a fuss. But those two signals may not be comparable.

And @xxx , I’d be happy if this NUC just performed as a bridge (1) to my Yggy and (2) multichannel to my AVR if possible. I have a Raspberry handling extensions.

Do you have the Intel HD audio enabled in the bios? Does Roon not see the HDMi as an output on this machine as it should show up as an option in Roon. Can you show a screengrab of the audio settings for this from the Roon audio setings?

When you pull up Roon using your remote, what do you see on this screen (Settings > Audio)?

It could be you haven’t enabled the appropriate HDMI output on your NUC.

Sorry, should have included this:

I’m enabling HDMI1; I think I tried all four (why four, with only one HDMI hardware port??)

UPDATE: To demonstrate my naivete, I have TWO NUCs in my system. The one we’re talking about was intended as a bridge only. I have another NUC (7i7BNH) that is my true server.

Honestly, I don’t remember. If the ROCK instructions included that step, I feel sure I would have, but I need to hook up my NUC to a screen and check. Thanks for the suggestion.

My streamer is the same (more HDMI options displayed than available on the back of the unit). It was explained to me that the motherboard on the unit has several “HDMI outputs”, though only one is physically available on the back of the unit I have. (I hope that made sense…computers are not my forté).

You’ve tried them all and none work?

This might be a longshot, but initially I had a problem where the HDMI output would cut out after about 10 minutes. The only fix was to reboot my streamer. Of course about 10 minutes later it would cut out again. It turns out the HDMI output was going to “sleep” after 10 minutes. I contacted the manufacturer who was able to fix it so the HDMI output would not go into sleep mode. It’s been working fine since. Perhaps try the different HDMI output options right after rebooting the NUC?

Unfortunately, that about the extent of my knowledge and experience with this. Hopefully, others here who are much more knowledgeable can offer a solution.

I’m guessing that screenshot is from your NUC acting as the Roon Core?

(My apologies, this is getting above my head. I have no experience using a separate NUC as a bridge. :frowning:)

That part of the audio display was cut off. I’ve just tried a small experiment. I disconnected the “Bridge” NUC and moved the USB/Yggy connection to my “server” NUC. And I ran the HDMI out to my AVR.

All worked, but as @Saturn94 experienced, the HDMI multi-channel is dropping out every now and then. Going to check firmware updates and BIOS settings now.

Many thanks for your expertise!

Based on that, I would guess the HDMI output isn’t activated on your second NUC acting as a bridge. Maybe someone here can help you get it activated.

Is the HDMI connection cutting out then coming back on? Mine would cut out and not come back on until I rebooted the core unit.

How long is the HDMI cable you are using? If it’s cutting in and out, it might be the HDMI cable is too long or failing. Maybe try a different HDMI cable if you have one.

From your screenshot, you have enabled the HDMI1 port (on the HDA Intel PCH HDMI 1 device) - the one you want is HDA Intel PCH HDMI 0.

There are 5 HDMI channels on an Intel NUC, but only the HDMI 0 is connected to the physical HDMI connector. The others are internal channels.

As an example, here’s the HDMI 0 channel set up for the HDMI connection to my Denon AVR on my ROCK Core…

It goes almost without saying that you don’t need to think about installing Ubuntu Linux on this NUC - you have Roon OS already installed on it, and it is running Roon Server, which contains both the Core and the audio Output components of Roon. Since you are running your Roon Core on another NUC, you are just using this one as a Roon Bridge (running the audio Output component of Roon).

1 Like

I needed Roon OS 1.0 (build 256) production on recent hardware to get functional HDMI ports.

1 Like

Thats only fro UEFI installs which is new, this is a legacy boot system that has been in place some time no 256 for legacy its purely for UEFI boot.

1 Like

POSTSCRIPT: Thanks for all the advice and counsel. I finally got multichannel sound via the HDMI cable. @Geoff_Coupe was right; I enabled the wrong HDMI “channel” (although I still don’t fully understand the presence of the other four). And I had one device setting incorrect.

But the result was disappointing. One album was a solo piano. Ordinarily (i.e. hi-rez stereo), my ears would hear the performances as if I were sitting in the audience. With surround, the feeling is as if I’m sitting on middle C on top of the piano! Very disconcerting. After a while, it caused what I’ve found to be called a “surround headache.”

But all was not lost. I now know what I had been missing, and the answer is: not much.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

Glad you got it working. :grinning::+1:

Just like with 2 channel recordings, there are great multichannel mixes/masterings, and not so great or bad ones.

@saturn94, have you got a favorite surround recording that I can test drive?

I posted some of my favorites here.

1 Like

Some more from my collection;

If you have Qobuz, check out this thread;

1 Like