Roon broken when connecting with iPad

I have an i7 6700 4 core all in one with 12gb ram and a 2gb ram video card that I use as Roon Core. I have a large library with over 18,000 albums that are stored on a QNAP NAS with an i5 6500 4 core processor with 16 gb or ram. I am also using Roon bridge on a Windows Server R2 2012 workstation. I have Peplink enterprise router with numerous unmanaged switches, and 4 Peplink APs for wireless Recently, I have noticed that when I connect to Roon using an ipad mini 4 (10.1.1) as a remote, Roon stops playing for about 15-30 seconds. Eventually, the play button appears, and it works. I can also get Roon to stop playing if I am connected via the ipad, start doing other things besides Roon, then go back to Roon. Roon works great if I dont access it by my ipad. Unfortunately, my main music room is in a different room as the core, and I need to use the ipad via Roon bridge. Any idea as to what is happening here? I have looked at my network closely, and can’t figure it out. Thanks

@support I have experimented with firewall settings and this didn’t fix things.
The problem seems to occur then the iPad reconnects with Roon via wifi (Roon works fine at the initial connection of the iPad). Sometimes Roon recovers after 30 seconds. If Roon has been playing for hours, and i reconnect, Roon loses track of all the zones, and is unresponsive.
I have looked at my wifi settings in the router, and nothing stands out. For what ever it is worth, the problem seems to have started when I recently installed Roon on a Mac Pro as a remote. This may be a coincidence. I subsequently removed Roon from the Mac. The problem persists.

The core computer is running Windows 10. My audio settings are fixed max volume, exclusive, 100ms, no delay. I have experimented with settings, and it does’t help.

Hi @jfp ----- Thank you for the feedback and my apologies for the troubles here. I would like to grab some logs from you so our developers can have a closer look into what is going on here. I will be contacting you momentarily via PM with instructions.

-Eric

I was at @jfp house Thursday and saw this issue first hand. Very strange issue that only happens when the iOS remote is used.

Hi Support, I’ve experienced the same at my place. Not only with an iPad but also on my Surface Pro 4 and Android phone (running Marshmallow and the latest Roon app update).

When it happens for me it seemingly kills the entire WiFi in the house for all devices and I need to reset the router and sometimes it comes back but sometimes I need to reset the router again (leaving it off for a while).

I thought I had a network issue but I was just at a dealer and as I was browsing Roon on his ipad (to a PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II Roon Endpoint) and the same thing happened to him. Roon lost connection, then he realised his iPad Mini lost connection and then he looked at his phone and realised his phone WiFi had lost connection.

So while the past couple weeks I thought it was just our home network, after experiencing this issue at the dealer today and reading this forum, it might not be my home network.

Unless you know the dealers network infrastructure to do a comparison then you should not make the assumption that you share similar root causes because the symptoms look the same.

Can you describe your network in detail, including the Roon Server, how it is connected to the network as well as the make and model of all the equipment. Ideally, you want the connections from the Core Server to Music Storage and then to the Wireless Access point to all be wired ethernet with only control endpoints on the WiFi.

Hi mate. Sincere apologies if it looked like I was accusing Roon of causing this issue or making assumptions. The reason I raised it here with Support is so that maybe we can look into it further, looking at my logs etc. As for the dealer experiencing a similar issue I asked them to contact Support directly so i won’t speak on their behalf about their infrastructure / system details. But witnessing a similar thing happen at the dealer promoted me to flag it with support.

You’re right, I should have added my system details in my first post though. Here it is:

I have a sonicTransporter i5 running Roon Server (up to date) and it is connected by Blue Jeans Cat 6a ethernet directly to my modem/router combination. My Roon endpoint is a Sonore microRendu. My control apps are on my Surface Pro 4 and iPad and Android mobile, both running the latest versions of the Roon app.

The past few weeks I’ve noticed when opening Roon on any of my WiFi control devices it shows the “Roon has lost connection” message and suddenly all the WiFi in the house is lost (not just that device that was running the Roon app).

I’ve first tried rebooting the Roon Server (sonicTransporter i5) several times but that does nothing. Only turning off the modem/router fixes it.

It’s only when launching the Roon app. It’s never happened in the middle of listening to an album. Once the Roon app gets going for me I’ve rarely had Roon disconnect (so that’s a slight difference to the OP I think). It’s only been when launching the Roon app that I need to turn off the modem/router - and up to launching the Roon app WiFi is working fine. By observation only, launching Roon app appears to play funny with my network somehow, sometimes. Once I go through the routine of turning off the WiFi etc and get Roon going, it’s fine for that day, so this typically happens once a day only but it’s almost daily for us here.

If Support needs any more info from me I’d be happy to share. As per my first post, this has been happening a few weeks but I thought it was purely my own network but just observing the same thing at the dealer (same end result, but possibly different causes of course) prompted me to think maybe it’s not the network but I’m no expert.

Other than this, we are loving Roon in our place ! Loving it so much I just purchased the lifetime membership a few days ago :slight_smile:

Appreciate the support

Hey Sean, what is the make and model of the modem.router equipment. I assume that it also is the Wifi broadcast point. Does the network stay stable if a wired Roon remote is connected?

I saw something very similar recently at a customer’s home. Everything was fine until Roon was fired up on an iOS device and then the wifi network crashed. This is a separate WiFi network just for his listening room and it’s part of a Netgear powerline adapter kit.

I messed around with settings a bit and realized that the network didn’t crash if the iOS device were only connected via the 5GHz band. On 2.4GHz the crash was consistent.

The end fix was simple… we just shut off the 2.4GHz radio since this access point would only ever be used for controlling the stereo with a dedicated iPad.

Curious to know if a similar thing works in your case.

Yep we only use the 2.4GGhz band for our router. I haven’t tried switching it off and using the 5GHz band because I need the longer range of the 2.4GHz (and not all devices in our house that need WiFi support 5GHz).

Very similar to my experience though in terms of the WiFi network crash on launch of the Roon app only - not once it’s up and running.

It’s not just the Roon app that has the connection disconnect, or just that one device - in my case it affects the entire WiFi broadcast for all devices and the only solution is to reboot the modem.

In my case also, it’s not only the iOS device in the house - but my Surface Pro 4 and Android device too.

Hey Daniel, it’s a NetGear Dual Band Wireless VDSL2 + Ethernet Gateway - Model VEGN2610-1

As Andrew suggested, you might try turning on the 5 Ghz band and moving one of the devices to that band it to test if it connects without causing the network issues.

Yes mate, I’ll try that to isolate the issue. But we have 2 iPhones, an iPad and an Android that don’t support the 5GHz.

Would be nice to find out if the issue is caused by the Roon control app or my NetGear, before upgrading all the other devices that are also used to control Roon sometimes. But I’ll try and see if it’s a band related issue.

Interestingly, in answer to your other question, the Roon app on the iMac (connected by ethernet to the modem) and the iMacs internet connection is never interrupted when launching Roon (on the WiFi devices) causes the WiFi disconnection issue.

I still have the same issue with 5GHz. I wonder if turning off 2.4Ghz and enabling 5Ghz was similar to me resetting my modem/router. So it may not be the 5Ghz that’s the solution but the turning off and on.

Plus like I mentioned a few posts up, it does end up working after the modem/router reset and that’s on the 2.4GHZ band, so it can’t be an incompatibility issue with that band.

Something funny is happening to my WiFi when Roon launches, as other have experienced.

@support, please help ! Happy to share any logs or more details/info. If this is a known issue and is expected to be solved in Version 1.3 I’m happy to sit back and wait. If it’s not a known issue, I’d appreciate the support in understanding why launching Roon is disconnecting my WiFi network.

Appreciated, Sean

1 Like

Hi @dabassgoesboomboom ---- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. I am going to be contacting you momentarily via PM to gather some more information from you as well as logs.

-Eric

1 Like

Hey everybody,
I’m new in the community but I’m using Roon for several months and I fear I now have a similar problem as @jfp

When I’m streaming to my IQaudio dac via Ethernet (squeezelite) and without any remote applications, everything works well. 3- 5 minutes after starting my remote app (IPhone 5s or IPad Pro, newest apps, iOS 10.1.1, Wifi 2,4 Ghz) the remote app loses connection than automatically reconnects, a few seconds later the remote app notifies “no IQaudio” (or other audio zone) and the music stops, than some seconds later the remote app automatically finds the IQAudio audio zone again and then I have to press play to start the music again. The vanishing of the audio zones also appears on the screen of the core system. This loop repeats all 2 or 3 songs. So not very nice, and no remote app no problems.

My core application is a 1.2 (build 168) and runs on a Lenovo laptop T440s with windows 7. The music is stored on Qnap NAS with about 3500 albums. I’m not really sure, but I think I have this problems since build 165 but maybe also since build 161 (I haven’t not much time for music in this period, shame on me) but not before. The 9 month before it, there was nothing wrong with this system and I loved Roon very very much. Now it’s a little bit annoying.

I’m also using the network and the computer with the core system for work and haven’t noticed any problems so far. The problem also occurs when the iPad with the remote app lies straight besides the Wifi router. But I have not to reboot the Wifi-system after the remote app lost connection, as wrote by @dabassgoesboomboom .

Hope to find a solution because I want to finish the workaround and move the core system to a dedicated NUC system soon. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @sebi ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. We are actively investigating this issue and are gathering logs and information from users who have been experiencing this behavior. I will be contacting you momentarily via PM with instructions.

-Eric

1 Like

Hi Eric @support , just submitted my logs - II was prompted to hurry up after 3 disconnections this morning :frowning:

This is my first time using the log submission feature and I have to say, it’s such an easy system - very impressed.

Hopefully your developers can identify the issue and let me know if it’s Roon or my network. The bizarre thing is it only happens on launching Roon but these are just observations and patterns - I can’t jump to conclusions.

Thanks again, Sean.

1 Like

Slightly different symptoms to me but using the Remote app and then seeing issues, is something we have in common.

Unfortunately my logs do show all the disconnections of the Remote apps but not what’s causing them.

I’m still working with Eric to try some other things. Hopefully we can identify it. It might (or might not) be something related to the issues you are seeing.

Hi Sean,
Happy new year @dabassgoesboomboom

I’m also in contact with Eric to analyze the problem. We made some checks by minimizing interference factors like DECT or something, but no solution found, so far. 5 GHz was also no solution. Also a new installation of the Roon Core showed no improvement. Exact the same situation as described before. It seems like Roon Core stumbles every few minutes upon some data packages send from the remote apps, or so. Without the remote apps everything is fine. So we have to do some work.

Sebastian