Roon can’t find Meridian 218

A simple test might be to just change it from DHCP to STATIC to see if the device shows up. You can always change it back.

Hi @Michael_Chi,

Thanks for providing that screenshot, so it appears that your PC can’t locate the 218 which means that Roon also won’t be able to. Yes, I would still like the Ipconfig info moving forward, this should help us clear up what the actual IP address of your gateway should be.

Once you locate the actual IP address of the gateway, you can give the static IP a try, although I would be very careful when inputting the values there because if you were to input the wrong values while on static, you can end up on a different subnet and lose communication with the meridian and possibly have to factory restore it. It would be best to ask here first what values you intend to write and only after getting confirmation try static.

Before you go down this route though, I’d like to verify something else here. Do you by any chance have an active firewall or antivirus on your Windows 7 machine? I am wondering if this could be causing any issues with communicating with the 218. If you temporarily disable your firewall and/or antivirus, is there any change to it showing up on the Meridian Sooloos Config tool?

Thanks,
Noris

Hello Rugby, I’m having the same problem of Roon not finding my 218. MC200 also not found but Bluesound products are. Anyway, I tried switching from DHCP to STATIC on the 218 configuration page and now cannot access the 218 at all, even via Fing or Sooloos. How can I revert the 218 to DHCP? The DHCP IP address was 192.168.0.31 The new static address that I can see only in IP Control is 192.168.1.101 (I can see this address in IP Control but cannot access the 218 configuration page - when I try it says that that the network connection failed). Any guidance much appreciated.

You need to setup a computer on the same IP range. 192.168.1. xxx … Then the computer should find it.

Thanks for the quick reply Daniel. I’ve searched the internet on how to set up my pc on the same IP range and my 218’s new static address but have not been able to crack it. I would be very grateful for some further guidance, or if you could point me to a website which explains how to do it. Naresh.

Solved. Had to change router settings. Now back to the original problem: Roon not finding my 218 or MC200. One for tomorrow.

1 Like

Ive kinda resolved my issue.

The 218 wouldn’t auto detect when using meridian IP cotroller from my iPhone. It would however show up when I manually entered the IP address.

I’m new to this…but I believe Roon requires the auto detect.

Meridian support told me multi cast filtering on the router needs to be disabled for the auto detect to work.
Turns out my wireless router didn’t have an option for disabling multi cast filtering.

So I bought a new wireless router that allows for the disabling. After that the 218 was able to be detected my Roon.

But now I’m having an issue where the 218 stays detectable for a day…then becomes undetectable. Had to restart the router. I don’t think it’s a router issue…it’s brand new and everything else stays connected fine.

To be continued…

Have you used a separate network switch, just a basic one?

No haven’t tried a switch. Where would that fit in the networking chain?

Would that help with the 218 becoming undetectable overnight?
It’s happened 2 days in a row now.
218 is available to Roon all day long…then overnight it stops showing up.
Will prob need to restart the 218 again.

Just FYI, some Ethernet switches do not play well with Meridian-Sooloos endpoints. For whatever reason Gigabit to 100 Megabit transitions in switches are tricky with UDP, with packets ending up on the floor. Some switches are better than others, but the worse ones can prevent endpoint discovery. For example, with my D-Link Green switch, I had problems detecting the ID41 in my 818, but when the ID41 is connected to either my modem/router, or to an Airport TimeCapsule, I have no problems whatsoever.

Dear Roon Technical Support,

My problem of Roon not finding my 218 persists. I have tried simple things suggested on this site without luck. I currently have Roon on trial and am keen to move permanently as I know that my current platform Sooloos is no longer supported my Meridian and problems may arise in the future when hardware updates are implemented.

My current setup is a 218 feeding DSP 5200SE speakers. I also have a Bluesound Pulse 2 and a Powernode 2 that Roon finds without problem. My router is a Sky Hub (latest version for Sky Q) and the 218 is hardwired to it via Devolo dLan plugs. The Bluesound Pulse 2 is also connected via a Devolo plug. The Powernode 2 is connected via WiFi. My 218 is found by Sooloos, IP Control, Fing, my router’s web page and my web browser. But not by Roon. I have been using Roon with my Bluesound products and am impressed. I need it to work with my main 218/5200SE system before making the switch. Please help.

I had this very problem and solved it by connecting the 218 to the network via an unmanaged switch rather than directly to the router.

Thanks Alan. You have given me hope! How do I do the same? Any further details much appreciated.

Just buy a network switch £10.00 ish Rapid electronics plug it in, connect a Cat5e patch cable from router to one port and another from 218 to a second port. Done.
I use 218 with 5200SEs and it all works perfectly.

Brilliant. Thanks Chris.

1 Like

Hi @Naresh_Pandit,

I noticed you mentioned something interesting here:

We have previously seen issues with powerline adapters in the mix, I would try temporarily connecting your 218 directly to your router or to the first switch immediately after the router and see if it shows up that way. Powerline adapters can sometimes interfere with Roon discovery protocols and as such we always recommend using a direct Ethernet connection and using an un-managed switch to split it to multiple outputs if needed, this is mentioned on our Networking Best Practices documentation.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Noris but I have tried connecting the 218 directly to the router and Roon still did not find it. Does this mean that the ethernet switch solution may not work?

Hi @Naresh_Pandit,

If the 218 does not show up when connected directly to the router, this could indicate that your router may need some special settings in place, basically what @Michael_Chi noted may also be applicable to you and multicast is being blocked/filtered somewhere. What is your router’s model/manufacturer? We outline some device specific settings at the end our Networking Best Practices Guide. Does your networking gear fall in this category?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
My router is the one that comes with a Sky Q subscription. It says Model ER115 on the back and the setup guide can be downloaded from the internet. I could not find it in your Networking Best Practices Guide. I understand that multicast filtering needs to be disabled. Do you know if this is possible with this router? If so, can you advise on how to do that?
Thanks,
Naresh.

Hello @Naresh_Pandit,

I did a bit of digging on that Sky Q router and have found that it can’t support common multicast options according to a thread post:

It is possible that a firmware update on the router may help here, but you will need to discuss this aspect with Sky Q.

If the firmware update does not help, then it looks like you might need another router that has multicast capabilities and then connect your Roon + Roon Remotes + Meridian gear over to a new router and use the current Sky Q one as just the Modem.

We typically recommend the Netgear Nighthawk line of routers since we have seen the fewest amount of reports due to those, but other typical consumer grade routers with multicast capabilities will typically work fine as well.

If you are able to borrow a router from a friend or work and can confirm that it works as expected before going out and purchasing one, this might be a good test to run. The switches that @Alan_McMillan and @Chrislayeruk mention might be able to handle multicast but if the Sky Q router does not have any of these settings available, it is hard to say if just adding a switch to the equation will help.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like