Roon can’t find Meridian 218

Thanks Noris. I will try your suggestions. Please forgive my ignorance but, given a new Nighthawk router installed, how would I then use my current Sky router as a modem?

Hi @Naresh_Pandit,

From what I read online, you can’t set the Sky Q hub to bridge mode, the closest thing that you can achieve here is connecting the Nighthawk router to one of the Sky Q’s Ethernet ports and then setting up as a separate subnet, meaning that if the Sky Q uses the 192.168.1.XXX range, you will want to set the Nighthawk to use a different range such as 192.168.2.XXX.

This still has the possibility of creating a double-NAT issue where the IPs have to be translated twice to reach the outside network, so if you are planning to try this kind of setup out I would make sure you buy the Nighthawk from a place that accepts returns such as Amazon and verify that everything works as expected in this setup before keeping the router.

You’ll also want to make sure that you disable the WiFi broadcast on the Sky Q so that your WiFi devices don’t connect to that WiFi network and are always connecting to the Nighthawk’s WiFi, this is because the Nighthawk’s subnet will contain your Roon + Meridian Gear and the Sky Q subnet might not be able to see them.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @Naresh_Pandit
I have been told by the guys in the shop I bought the 218 from, that Meridian recommends that the 218 be connected to a switch before any router. They (the guys in the shop that is) weren’t sure why it was needed but it is Meridian’s recommendation, and in my experience, it solved the problem. My switch is a Netgear eight port affair and cost about £30.

Agreed, switches are really cheap. A basic 10/100 is fine. Fit and forget. It’s a no brainier to try even if it’s not the immediate answer, you’ll want one anyway.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice given. Here’s where I’m at:

• Tried a Netgear switch between my 218 and my devolo powerline plug but 218 nor MC200 still not showing on Roon. Also tried the Netgear switch directly between 218 and the Sky Q router, still no 218 showing on Roon.
  • I think Noris is right. The problem is with my Sky Q router.
  • I’m reluctant to add a new router, adjust settings, and hope for the best. Will be time-consuming, potentially frustrating and could lead to periods without music.
  • I’m going to stick with 218/MC200 supplied Sooloos for now and wait for a 218 equivalent end point that is Roon-ready to emerge, meanwhile hoping that Sooloos continues to work with all current equipment including my iPad. I thought that the new Roon-ready 210 might be a replacement for my 218 and so a way to Roon but the 210 is not a 218 substitute in my case as it does not have an optical in, which I need for my TV’s sound.

Once again, thanks for your help. You are a brilliant community and I will return as soon as possible!

1 Like

Update: I decided to have another go and started with an alternative method of connecting my Sky Q router to my 218 - TP-Link Deco M5 WiFi Mesh system. That did not work but in the process I hard-wired the 218 to my router and it showed up on Roon! Perhaps the reinstall of the core made the difference. Be that as it may, I then decided to hard-wire the connection permanently and am now enjoying Roon and have bought the lifetime subscription. Bottom line: there is no problem with the Sky Q router connecting to the 218 as long as the connection is hard-wired. There does seem to be a problem with ethernet over power, at least with Devolo plugs and there does seem to be a problem with WiFi Mesh systems, at least with TP-Link’s Deco M5.

2 Likes

Hi @Naresh_Pandit1,

Thank you for the update here and glad to hear that having the 218 hard wired to the router has resolved this issue.

Ethernet over power adapters have sometimes caused issues with Roon which is why we generally advise not using these kinds of adapters.

Either way, happy to hear that the issue is sorted and thank you for purchasing a lifetime subscription!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.