Roon can't find Bluesound devices on my wireless network (again)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, 64 bit, Roon ver 1.6 32 bit, build 416, stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear 45, this is the router you guys recommended.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Bluesound Vault 2 and two Node 2’s on wireless. It isn’t practical to connect via hardwire

Description Of Issue

I have had this problem before where the BlueOS can find the devices and play them without a hitch but Roon cannot find them. Then BlueOS had a upgrade and things settled down after that. The problem now is Windows has had two updates and BlueOS has had another update. Somewhere between those updates, Roon lost the ability to find the devices. I don’t know if this is update related or not, but that is what changed on my system. I tried rebooting the computer, rebooting the Bluesound devices, then turning everything off and power up the nodes, then the vault, then the PC, but none of this has had any effect.

Hi @Robert_De_Mattei,

Is the Core machine connected directly to the router via Ethernet?

For the Bluesound devices, if you could temporarily connect one device to the network via Ethernet is there any change here?

Hi there! There is a hard LAN connection from the Windows PC to the Nighthawk. BTW, the Nighthawk connects to the Infinity Modem by hardwire and the Modem is in bridge mode. I’ll try running a hardwire connection to the nearest node and report back here.
Thanks,
Robert

1 Like

I had to purchase a 100’ Ethernet cable, as I didn’t have one long enough to get from the Nighthawk to the Node 2. That did not make any difference, Roon can’t find the Node but it popped right up on the Bluesound controlling software and I was able to play music on it. BTW, there has always been a hardwire LAN connection from the Nighthawk to the Vault 2, as it does not function on wireless. However, Roon cannot find that either. Since the LAN cable is a trip hazard, I am removing it but I can reconnect it later for more experiments.

Try temporarily disabling the firewall on your W10 core machine.

I turned it off but that did not make a difference. In my firewall settings, I have Roon set to communicate through the private wireless network and through the public network.

Hi @Robert_De_Mattei,

Thanks for giving that a try.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, I was hoping you could once more connect the Bluesound via Ethernet. Then, power down both the Bluesound and the Roon Core. Start the Roon Core machine and note the time that you start Roon once it’s powered on. Next, start the Bluesound device and note the time that it is powered up. Respond here with those times and we will enable diagnostics on your account and provide further instructions on sending Bluesound logs.

Thanks,
Dylan

Okay, will do. Keep in mind that the Vault 2 is always connected via a LAN cable. One N ode 2 is always on Wireless, while the other one is the connected via LAN. On 5/6/2019; here are the times - At 5:31 pm I connected the LAN cable and at 5:33 I shut down the Windows PC and both Nodes…

Okay, at 5:37 to 5:38 pm I plugged the Node 2 back in to 120VAC and turned on the PC. This Node is the one with the LAN cable. The Vault 2, which is on a LAN, and the other Node 2, which is Wireless, remained powered on.

I opened Roon but it did not find any audio devices. I went to the Audio menu and did a refresh but that did not change anything.

I am removing the LAN cable before someone trips over it.

Robert

Thanks, @Robert_De_Mattei!

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

In the meantime, I was hoping you could follow the instructions below to send your Bluesound logs:

• Navigate to IP Address in a web browser and go to Diagnostics | More and then Copy and paste the text into a text editor and save the info.

Zip all of the logs up into a zipped folder and share it with us via a shared Dropbox link (or other file sharing service).

Thanks!

I sent you a shared folder on Dropbox, let me know if you have trouble accessing it. I did open Roon and it appeared to send a file.

Hi @Robert_De_Mattei,

Can you share this via a link instead of via email? You can get a link by clicking the highlighted area seen below:

Here is the link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vs8sceibay5idf/Bluesound%20Diagnostics.zip?dl=0
It is only 28 KB as it is zipped. I can also email this easily enough.

Thanks, @Robert_De_Mattei!

I’ve passed this along to the team, I’ll be sure to let you know when the team has finished their analysis and provided feedback.

Regarding the Roon diagnostics report — This still has not come in. I’ve re-enabled diagnostics on our end and the next time Roon is running this should be sent to us. I’ll update you once it’s been received.

Update — The diagnostics report has been received and I’ve passed it to the team for analysis.

I’ll turn on Roon and let it run through the weekend

@dylan Dylan, were you able to get the logs? Comcast was down from Saturday night around 8:30 pm to Sunday morning around 11 am this past weekend. Otherwise, Roon has been running on my pc.
Robert

Hi @Robert_De_Mattei,

Apologies for the delay here! I spoke with the team about their analysis and wanted to reach out with their findings.

First, they noticed that there are some networking errors that they believe may be caused by a dual network connection.

Is WiFi enabled on your Core machine along with the Ethernet connection? If you disable the WiFi connection is there any change?

If you install the BluOS controller app on your Core machine are you able to see these devices on the network from this device?

@dylan

According to my network connection list, I only have the LAN operational. There are wifi options available but I am not connected to them.

Yes, BLueOS is on this machine and it normally finds them without much hassle. The last few upgrades they did seem to have helped that significantly.

Thanks for the info, @Robert_De_Mattei.

Do you have another Mac or Windows device available that you could temporarily use as a Roon Core? When doing so is there any change in Roon’s ability to connect to the Bluesound devices?

@dylan I have a work laptop and I think I can add programs to that. I will try it either later tonight or tomorrow and let you know.

1 Like