Roon client crashes when using album focus [Ticket In]

Roon Core Machine

Mac OS 12.4 on MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wifi

Connected Audio Devices

System output

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Same issue I described a few months ago here. When going to Albums and using Focus, roon crashes. This time I discovered it when I tried to focus on CHANNEL LAYOUT. This problem clearly hasn’t been solved. As I mentioned in the other thread, I did an OS reinstallation, so the problem is either in one or some of my files or in Roon.

1 Like

What type of Mac are you using, a legacy Intel laptop or mini or a newer M1?

It’s an intel macbook pro (I’ve edited my initial description).

2 Likes

I just checked this on my 2019 MacBook Pro running 12.4 and didn’t experience any issues, with about 2/3 the number of tracks you have. You mentioned that you did an OS reinstall, I assume you mean MacOS and not Roon? If so, have you tried deleting Roon completely, downloading, and reinstalling it?

I did a fresh install of Mac os, which includes roon obviously, so reinstalling roon again given that I have the same exact issue won’t solve the problem.

I haven’t seen others with this issue and since the issue seemed to have returned, @support will probably need to review your logs again when they return Tuesday.

Hi, @Elece, sorry to hear about your troubles. May I kindly ask you to do the following:

1. Reproduce this issue once again
  2. Zip your Roon logs from the affected machine in an archive, instructions can be found here.
  3. Send this archive to us. You can upload logs here

We will try to replicate this issue locally and logs will might be a good hint here.

Thanks!

Ivan

1 Like

Ok. Done. Two things worth mentioning:

1. I think I only have this issue when roon is on full screen mode.
  2. It might be related to the artwork preview. I took a screenshot after roon becoming useless. As you can see, first row of albums are grey.

Hi @Elece ,

Thank you for uploading the logs. Can you please clarify, does Roon have a crash and exit, or does Roon hang (with a beach ball)?

Are you using multiple monitors in your setup? Does the crash only occur when moving Roon between the monitors?

Are there any more details you can let us know about the network? What model/manufacturer of networking gear are you using?

1 Like

Can you please clarify, does Roon have a crash and exit, or does Roon hang (with a beach ball)?

It hangs with the ball icon and becomes unresponsive.

Are you using multiple monitors in your setup? Does the crash only occur when moving Roon between the monitors?

I have two external monitors. The crash occurs when usign the Focus filter in Albums tab. From my testig, it only happens when roon is in full screen mode. Moving the roon’s window between screens didn’t show any problem.

Are there any more details you can let us know about the network? What model/manufacturer of networking gear are you using?

An Asus RT-AC66U router and a rpi with Dietpi running pi-hole (which I checked and is allowing all *roon* requests so no problem there).

Hello @Elece ,

Thank you for that clarification. We looked over your Roon logs, but if it is beach balling, then it is possible that it is not recorded in the Roon log as an issue.

Does it occur on any of the monitors in full screen mode? Are any Mac system logs generated related to the hang?

I did one test and could reproduce the problem only inn full-screen on the external monitors. On the built-in display, roon didn’t hang. I captured some logs using the Console while reproducing the problem, don’t know if I did it correctly. I’ve already uploaded them.

Hey @Elece,

Ben here with the tech support team stepping in for Noris. I wanted to let you know we’ve identified the issue you’re having and are actively working on a solution.

I can’t speak on the timeline for when we’ll release the fix, but our team is working hard on making sure it will happen soon. When I catch wind of any new information, you will be the first to know!

Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime :+1:

Hello Ben. Happy to know that you’ve found the problem. Let me know when you know the release date of the fix.

Thanxs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Elece,

Thank you so much for your continued patience! We’ve just released a new build that has fixed this issue. Please update your core and devices and let me know if you still run into hiccups here :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.