Roon Client crashes with Dual monitor after Win 10 update to 1903

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
This issue is with the Windows 10 1903 client: Roon Version 1.6 (build 415) stable (64bit).
Roon server, other clients operate OK.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
I recently received the 1903 update on my Samsung laptop.

Prior to the update, the Roon client would open OK when using the built in laptop screen and when connected to my docking station which is connected to 2 monitors.

After the update, the Roon client still opens OK when using the built in laptop screen.
But when connected to the docking station, 2 monitors, roon starts to load (logo and quote), then crashes as soon as the big window gets drawn.

It is very reproducible and happens every time. Roon software is identical before/after the windows upgrade.

I see 3 events in the windows error log (see below).

Thanks
Dave

== Error - Application Error 
Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5cc12f39
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.239, time stamp: 0xb6f4b059
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a839
Faulting process id: 0x3b88
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5449e2b2d14a1
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 5e23175a-65a9-41f6-bcd9-c9a724bce5c7
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

== Error - .NET Runtime
Application: Roon.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code e06d7363, exception address 00007FFD9A72A839

== Information - Windows Error Reporting
Fault bucket 1387893438178089355, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Roon.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5cc12f39
P4: KERNELBASE.dll
P5: 10.0.18362.239
P6: b6f4b059
P7: e06d7363
P8: 000000000003a839
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5839.tmp.mdmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5ADA.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5AFA.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5AF8.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5B28.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Roon.exe_5d5d7a8a5b22264b9a7b1cb5fdae34c65872282_94716ee5_82d4c111-60c2-4b98-ab33-b291789e9eba

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 2334362c-d1a5-45fc-9020-5455d8c143c3
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: b3581c194223b91a8342c9ba88b3598b
Cab Guid: 0

Hi @David_Badia,

If you roll back the Windows update do things work for you after that? If you then re-run the update do things continue working?

Hi @David_Badia,

Can you please provide some more information here as well?

1. What GPU (display card) does your PC have? Can you let me know the model/manufacturer and driver version?

2. Is the behavior the same when bypassing the docking station (if possible)? What is the model/manufacturer of the Docking station that you are using?

3. What is the model/manufacturer of the external display you are using?

4. Where is Roon being opened on, is it the internal or external monitor when it crashes? Is there any difference between opening it on the internal vs external monitor?

5. Do you see anything right before Roon is crashing? Are you being presented with a white screen, the regular Overview startup page or does it immediately crash before displaying any tabs?

@dylan I don’t have enough faith in the Windows roll back operation just yet :slight_smile: But if you really require this I will find a time to do a disk image first, then a roll back

@noris
Here is the info you requested:

1. What GPU (display card) does your PC have? Can you let me know the model/manufacturer and driver version?

I see 2 GPUs under Device Manager -> Display Adapters: Intel® HD Graphics 520 (driver v25.20.100.6472) and NVIDIA GeForce940MX (driver v24.21.13.9907).

2. Is the behavior the same when bypassing the docking station (if possible)? What is the model/manufacturer of the Docking station that you are using?

By bypassing the docking station, I assume you mean plugging a monitor directly into my laptop via HDMI. Roon starts OK in that case, I only have the issue when using the docking station.
Docking station is Targus Universal 2K

3. What is the model/manufacturer of the external display you are using?

Dual Acer K2 Series K242HQL connected to the dock

4. Where is Roon being opened on, is it the internal or external monitor when it crashes? Is there any difference between opening it on the internal vs external monitor?

Crashes on the external monitor. I have the 2 external monitors connected to the dock and the laptop lid is closed.
Here’s where it gets interesting. If I keep the laptop lid open which connected to the dock, the display is mirrored between the laptop screen and display #2. With that configuration, Roon launches OK on the laptop screen/display #2 and if I try to open on display #1

5. Do you see anything right before Roon is crashing? Are you being presented with a white screen, the regular Overview startup page or does it immediately crash before displaying any tabs?

Yes, I see the black Roon launch screen with the logo and the quotation. Then a large white box behind that with the Roon logo in the upper left. Then it crashes without rendering anything in the large white box

For what it’s worth, I’m a java developer by trade. I know next to nothing about .NET, but I can say I at least have technical understanding :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Dave

Sorry for butting in but just a couple of observations, if I may…

Perversely the rollback operation is considerably more reliable than the update operation!

You may need to update to the most recent DisplayLink drivers.
Windows 10 feature updates are well known for pulling apart DisplayLink during the update process for some reason!

Hi @David_Badia,

Thanks for confirming that this issue only occurs with the docking station.
In this case, I would suggest taking a closer look at the drivers as @Tim_Rhodes mentioned.
Can you give those updates a try and let us know if it helps?

Ok, I updated the DisplayLink drivers and rebooted. Still have the same problem though

Maybe try updating the NVIDIA and Intel GFX drivers too?

Latest Intel one is 26.20.100.6912

Latest NVIDIA one is 431.60

Clutching at straws a little bit now though…

Hi @David_Badia,

I would try updating the graphics drivers in that case. Also, can you note the exact local time of the next crash and then manually send me logs via these instructions? I wonder if there are any more clues as to what is causing it in the Roon logs, but if it is an issue with Windows drivers it may be an un-managed crash with no info. Either way, please send those over when possible.

Updated both, still getting the crash.
Just to be sure I am grabbing the right logs: you want the logs from Roon Core (running on linux) even though the issue is occurring on a Roon client on windows. Is that correct?

Hi @David_Badia,

Please send me the logs for the Roon Remote machine, the one where this issue is occurring on. Thanks!

Forgot to mention last time that, since upgrading the drivers, the white box stays on the screen longer than before.

Here are the logs from the Roon Remote on windows (can be downloaded 4 times):

Hi @David_Badia,

Thank you for sending those files over, I can confirm I received them. I have taken a look through them and it appears that the type of crash you are experiencing is an unmanaged one, meaning that the Roon logs do not contain any information regarding it and it is due to the docking station hardware.

Further, I have asked a few staff members with docking stations running Windows 10 1903 to verify their experience, and they have been unable to reproduce your findings, so it appears that this behavior is limited to the docking station you are using and it could be due to OpenGL not properly rendering through it.

My follow-up suggestion here would be to reach out to the Targus support team to see if they can provide some more information regarding the Docking Station’s comparability with OpenGL programs on Windows build 1903. There is a way to also manually update the DisplayLink driver (see: https://www.sysjolt.com/2017/displaylink-opengl/) which may help, but failing that it would be best to reach out to the Targus support staff for assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.