Roon does not start, crashes, does not connect devices or Tidal/Qobuz, and has many other problems

Roon is fascinating and frustrating. When it runs we have joy, when it gives problems frustration comes. For me, the logs point to exception errors in ntdll.dll. The entry point to server registration, so I go searching:

Google search with “roon ntdll.dll crash” as the best answer I see:

Wizardofoz (Mr. Fix It) on June 14, 2021, 2:51 AM #2 New ROON Core install crashes during startup - #8 by Chris_VenHaus - Support - Roon Labs Community

There have been cases where Roon has had issues with multiple GFX card setups and with GFX drivers… I might try removing the 2080 card and see if you can work without that for now.

Clear but deleted words in the forum itself. That current Roon builds probably do not yet show 100% compatibility with nVidia drivers, we are not told so directly.

I have this common graphics card and problems with Windws10 directly or in this system: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1023 System information: Wine build: wine-6.15 Platform: x86_64 Version: Windows 7 Host system: Linux Host version: 5.13.11-1-MANJARO

The standard answers so far (see below) are:

reinstall the whole system or Roon, do all updates also for the graphic cards, disable virus scanner and firewall, take 32-bit version, observe problems, send logs…

The community still gives these hints:

DDU Guide / Tutorial | Wagnardsoft no solution reported

How to Fix Ntdll.dll Errors in Windows [10, 8, 7, etc.] no solution reported

Roon has unresolved problems in 64-bit version with this graphics card and predecessors. Google search shows this:

27.08.2015 Roon has stopped working

28.03.2018 Roon 310 crashed on startup [Resolved]

28.01.2019 Roon core crashes

27.07.2019 Roon Client crashes with Dual monitor after Win 10 update to 1903

11.08.2019 Roon Core on Windows will no longer start

19.08.2019 Roon crashing ntdll.dll

17.11.2019 Roon Core Crashed

21.08.2020 Roon 17.0 610 will crash, slow and do weird display

25.08.2020 Roon Core and App keep on crashing on Windows 10 laptop

26.08.2020 Roon crashes shortly after startup with latest update

26.10.2020 Roon app is crashing

18.01.2021 .Net-related Roon app crash

14.06.2021 https://community.roonlabs.com/t/new-roon-core-install-crashes-during-startup/162908/8

A little Part of Problems (Pictures, Crash) are solved with this Solution:

Disable your NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Refresh 6 GB GDDR6 and work only with AMD Radeon ™ Graphics

AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 are causing Roon problems. I want to see if I can find drivers that work.

Driver 471.68 (August 2021) now works

With respect, if you provide the information requested when starting a support thread the support team & users may be able to offer more assistance with your problem.
e.g.

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Library Size

Description of Issue

Yes that is correct. Solving problems is easier with accurate information. You only gain a lot of understanding for the problems of others when your own problems arise. I didn’t want to ask for help here, but only to point out a basic problem with current hardware.

The fascination is so great when everything works, but the frustration is just as great when a small technical obstacle is not yet eliminated.

Here it was just a driver problem in Windows 10 because of Microsoft’s update policy and I hope to fix it just as well with new drivers in Linux.

That both operating systems show the same problems has already surprised me. I use Manjaro as a rolling release and there everything is always up to date (I thought so far).

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.