Roon has stopped working

Just came home and my laptop is showing that roon has crashed.

roon has stopped working…

Left it running overnight to analyze my library.

Restarted several times but as soon as roon starts it crashes.

I am on Windows 10

This is what I found in the eventviewer

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x55dcfc0f
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10240.16430, time stamp: 0x55c599e1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003cc96
Faulting process id: 0x1230
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0e0edbb27485e
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 94ef40d0-16e9-4d65-a3c9-6d15cc6e3cdd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any ideas?

If other info is needed let me know.

EDIT.

Restart number 10+. Windows starts installing an update. After reboot, roon starts with the message Updating database…, the same message when updating to 1.1. After updating roon is back again.

Weird…!

Was that a fresh install of 10 or an “upgrade”?

0xc0000005 exception refers to a (memory access violation) and that error when paired with ntdll.dll usually means a 3rd party scanner, like a firewall or AV is the ultimate culprit. I know my Asus laptop has an NVIDIA chip and this error occured sometimes because of the NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager (NAM).

@Rugby That was an upgrade. I am using AVG as virusscanner, but never had any issues pointing there (as far as I know).

Do you think a clean install of Windows 10 will cure this? If so, I will try this over the weekend.

It might. I am a big believer in fresh installs. In my experience over the decades it has kept my computers working smoothly. In fact, I re-install every 18 months or so like an oil change, lol. If you re-install that means you can test Roon before and after you Load AVG and other software. I would load the OS and any needed drivers and then load Roon and test it out. By needed drivers, I mean only the basic drivers needed to run the computer, so if you are using USB out to a DAC and not the audio portion of the motherboard i would not load the audio drivers - actually if you are not using the audio portion I’d turn it off in the BIOS. The point is to test the system with basically only Roon installed and see if it works without glitching.

But before you do, make sure you read up on how to do a fresh install with Win 10 after an upgrade. I believe your Win 10 key is stored on the OS partition so if you re-format the drive you might lose the ability to do a fresh install as Win 10 does not tell you the new key it created during installation and your former OS key will not work to install Win 10; as far as I understand.

So, yesterday I finally performed a clean install of Windows 10.

After installing I was greated with an open gl error by roon. Tried updating both graphics drivers (Intel an Nvidia). Latest driver installed, it went away.

Changing from ASIO to the exclusive access driver crashes roon again…

Will paste the error this evening have to go to work now…