Roon Core and App keep on crashing on Windows 10 laptop

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Microsoft Surface 4, Intel Core i5-7300U, 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Fritz!Box 7490, Microsoft Surface connected via WiFi
WD MyCloud connected to router via Ethernet, used as music source

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

SMSL M500 connected to Microsoft Surface via USB

Description Of Issue

I’m trialing Roon and set my Microsoft Surface as the Core as well as the remote. It is creating the Roon library by accessing my NAS (WD MyCloud) via WiFi while I am typing this. During this process, I started listening to some music via Roon, first streamed from Tidal, then from my NAS. Suddenly, the music stopped and Roon remote app crashed. When I re-open the app, it stays open for about 15 seconds, then crashes again. I have also installed Roon remote on my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S9), and when I open it, it doesn’t find my Surface as the Roon core. Only when I start Roon on my laptop, the smartphone finds the core, connects, but as soon as Roon crashes on my laptop, the connection is lost again. What is happening here? Is my Surface not powerful enough to handle the growing Roon library, as it worked at the beginning and then suddenly stopped?

Here is the error message I’m getting:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: Roon.exe, Version: 1.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5f3d3abf
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ntdll.dll, Version: 10.0.18362.815, Zeitstempel: 0xb29ecf52
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000374
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000f9229
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x2cbc
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d67ad83b682cb5
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Users\slo\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Berichtskennung: 9c5af410-a735-4b43-8b09-f45a9ec27458
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

Fehlerbucket 2245133779585383182, Typ 4
Ereignisname: APPCRASH
Antwort: Nicht verfügbar
CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:
P1: Roon.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5f3d3abf
P4: StackHash_d6ef
P5: 10.0.18362.815
P6: b29ecf52
P7: c0000374
P8: PCH_7B_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009CBC4
P9:
P10:

Hi @Satyadhara,

Welcome to the forum! Can you please check that your GPU drivers are up-to-date from your manufacturer’s website and also try running the Intel Update tool?

Hi Noris,

The GPU driver is up to date (Intel HD Graphics 620, version 26.20.100.7639), I checked on the Microsoft homepage for the Surface 5 Pro (it’s actually a 5 Pro, not a 4, as stated in my first post, sorry!). I also downloaded the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and it shows that all drivers are up to date.

1 Like

Hi @Satyadhara,

Thanks for checking that aspect.

Can you please send me your Roon logs and this full error message? You can access Roon logs via these instructions.

If it’s just the remote crashing and not the server, the logs we need are under the Roon folder, not RoonServer folder.

Hi Noris, would like to send you the Roon logs, but after my Innuos Zen MkII stopped working one day after having set it up as Roon core (and now has to be sent back to Innuos, because they can’t access the system remotely anymore), and then experiencing the problems described above on my Surface, I lost my temper a bit and uninstalled Roon from my system… :slight_smile: so I guess the logs are lost. Others on the forum have described the same issue, so I hope they can provide what you need - and I’ll give Roon a second chance once I have my Zen back!

1 Like

Hi @Satyadhara,

No worries, do let me know once the Zen is back! If you want though, you should be able to use the Surface as the Core in the meantime:

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.