Roon Core Crashed

Roon core (1.6 build 416) crashes on a random basis. It can occur both while playing music and while unattended. It started
happening after I moved from Windows 7 to 10. I did not update but did a clean install with Windows 10. It crashes on
average 2 or 3 times a week.

My setup;
A self built PC with an Intel Core i7 750 (64bit), 36GB Ram, 18TB of content storage spread over 2 Western digital Purple
hard drives. The boot drive is a 1TB Samsung SSd. I’m curretly running Win 10 version 1803.

I use no networking to move the audio around, this is a standalone machine that only plays through a locally attached
RME ADI-2 Dac.

The library is stored on the previously mentioned 18TB of local storage, with a current track count of 419,546.

As previously stated, this can happen while unattended. While unattended the RME dac is shut off.

What the Windows application logs errors show;

11/17/2019 9:33:17 AM
Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5cc12f39
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.1130, time stamp: 0xc3c8a6d3
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a388
Faulting process id: 0x2a78
Faulting application start time: 0x01d59d5408a063fe
Faulting application path: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: a7a83204-fa72-41e1-9909-674a1270920a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

11/17/2019 9:33:09 AM
Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5cc12f39
Faulting module name: mscorlib.ni.dll, version: 4.8.4042.0, time stamp: 0x5d7a9e97
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000056ef8f
Faulting process id: 0x2a78
Faulting application start time: 0x01d59d5408a063fe
Faulting application path: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\mscorlib\751e7a2112cfed0181618c0251f98ece\mscorlib.ni.dll
Report Id: ca6cd00f-40da-48e4-8887-426b9d096d51
Faulting package full name:

11/17/2019 9:33:08 AM
Application: Roon.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReadInt32(IntPtr, Int32)
at Roon.WindowsDriveDetector.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
at WinUtils.WindowHelper+<>c.<_HookWindow>b__18_0(IntPtr, Int32, Int32, Int32)

Any ideas to resolve this?

Feel free to turn on the diagnostics.

Hi @Peter_Atkins,

Have you noticed any patterns here as to when it crashes?

Are any errors seen in Roon before the crash? Is the crash just Roon closing? Are you able to start it up again right after or do you have to reboot the Core?

In most cases, it happens unattended so I don’t see it. When is crashes while playing, it just disappears. I can start it after that no problem.

Thanks, @Peter_Atkins. Moving forward, I think I’d like to enable some diagnostics here so the team can take a look. First, can you clarify this statement:

By unattended, you mean that nothing is playing at all, correct? Roon is just in the background not in use and not playing any content and it can still crash?

You are correct about being in the background. For example, I’ll wake up in the morning and notice Roon is no longer running and has died in the night. This computer usually runs 24x7.

Thanks, @Peter_Atkins.

We’ve enabled diagnostics now and the next time your Core is active the diagnostics report should be uploaded. Once that’s been received I’ll pass the report along to the team for analysis and I’ll follow up as soon as I have their feedback.

Hi @Peter_Atkins,

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage?

Here you go. Funny, now that people are watching it hasn’t crashed yet since I raised the issue…

Hi @Peter_Atkins,

Do you have any backups set to run in Roon? Can you share a screenshot of the backups folder?

The error that we are seeing specifically is related to the [I:] drive. Are you making any backups to this drive?

As you can see, backing up to E: an as not yet mentioned till now 1TB SSD that I use as a scratch disk.

Thanks, @Peter_Atkins.

If you see this problem happen again, can you try disabling the [I:] drive temporarily and let us know if things run okay like that?

I can see what you are thinking. Failing drives can certainly cause issues. The I: drive in question is 6 months old. I will be peeved it it is on its way out already. The windows drive check gives it a clean bill of health. Tonight I’ll run the WD data lifeguard test on it and report back.

Dlgdiag extended test completed successfully in 19.5 hours. Test result was pass. I wonder if that tool can be trusted 100%? Also, I have not seen any SATA errors in the logs. The Roon core was offline during the test but is back up now and all we can do is wait and see.

Thanks for looking into the issue.

Mmmmm, it seems the Roon core died in the night. As near as I can tell from the logs, local time of 5:50. I’ve restarted it, and a point of curiosity is it has forgotten its window position and size (this happens every time it crashes). It also tells me that the new version of Roon you installed requires a database update. I thought that was taken care of several days ago. So, new info, maybe something can be seen in the logs.

And, another curiosity maybe or maybe not related. Check the attached view of the core. It shows a grid of 13 X 5 icons. Sometimes after a crash, this changes to 10 X 4.

Hi @Peter_Atkins,

The next time this happens, can you send over Event Viewer logs? Please see the following steps to do so:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Send the logs via a shared Dropbox link

This is strange. Ever since I reported my problems with the Roon core crashing, it seems to have been much better behaved. It used to crash 2 or 3 times a week, and now it seems to be maybe once a week. Go figure. Anyway, it crashed this morning. I followed your instructions to generate a log. I do not have a dropbox account and didn’t really plan on getting one. I’ll see if it will upload here. That won’t work. I’ll see if I can figure something out.

That *.evtx file is 20MB. Winrar makes it 365KB. It would be nice to just dump it up here…

Hi @Peter_Atkins,

I’m glad to hear that things are working better for you now! I’ve sent you a PM with next steps on sending files.

Thanks!