Roon crashes shortly after startup with latest update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Home (build 10.0.190401)
Intel Core i7-4500 / 1.8GHz, 8 GB RAM, nVidia GeFroce GT 745M GPU latest driver installed
Roon 1.7 build 610 64 bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Not needed; all connections local

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB; Emotiva XDA-2

Description Of Issue

Latest update caused Roon to no longer start successfully; crashes after 10 seconds of startup. Starts OK if media is not present; as soon as media is added (with fresh database), import starts and crash comes within seconds. Not a media problem; last new media was imported fine and had worked until latest update.

I’ve had Windows use both the Intel GPU and the nVidia GPU but same results.
System patching/drivers are all up-to-date.

Logs captured and available.

32 bit version appears to work fine; 64 bit continues with same behavior.

A post was split to a new topic: Roon crashing during trial

Hello @David_Salbego, my apologies for the issues here. Please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. I’d be happy to take a look at what you saved from the logs!

Also, have you rebooted the core recently?

Yes, rebooted several times, and in-between re-installations, etc.

Event log shows a general ntdll.dll crash:

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f3d3abf
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.423, time stamp: 0x06701e03
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000fed79
Faulting process id: 0x1fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d67b1052d47dcc
Faulting application path: C:\Users\dsalb\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 9676381f-219f-4b83-ba2a-b6173dbed080
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have the same problem…but mine is a new install (New User)
My crash happens about 15 seconds after scanning files from my music storage directory…
Very dissapointing :frowning:

Yes, same here.

Note that I’ve been a Roon user (and lifetime subscriber) for a few years now, and it has been fantastic through many upgrades. This is my first real problem. I still highly recommend the product.

The frustrating aspect of this for me is that the same machine runs Plex server, pointing to the same files on the same Nas over the same network with the same playback devices…and it works perfectly!

So this has to be a Roon software issue!
Have I now reached the stage where Plex is more stable than Roon???

Hello @David_Salbego, and thanks for the logs! Could you please also send me a copy of your event viewer logs using the directions below. A copy of this log can be uploaded here.

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right-click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right-click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Upload the Event Viewer logs to our diagnostics servers, using the link above.

Event log file has been uploaded.

Hello @David_Salbego, and thanks for uploading that! I have sent a report over to our team for further investigation.

A post was split to a new topic: Roon app is crashing

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.