Roon client on macOS Tahoe 26.3.1 with Lockdown Mode: can play on remotes but not locally
I’m experiencing an issue with Roon on a Mac client running macOS Tahoe 26.3.1 with Apple’s Lockdown Mode enabled. The Roon client can connect to the server and stream music, but local playback does not work.
As soon as I disable Lockdown Mode on that Mac player, local playback resumes normally.
Importantly, my iPhone and iPad also have Lockdown Mode enabled and are not affected, they connect and play locally without any issue. The problem only occurs on the Mac client.
This is the only app on my setup impacted by Lockdown Mode. All other network services remain accessible on their respective ports, which suggests Roon’s Mac client may rely on a protocol or feature that Lockdown Mode specifically restricts on macOS (but not on iOS/iPadOS).
Setup details
- Affected device: Mac client running macOS Tahoe 26.3.1 with Lockdown Mode enabled
- Roon version: latest (up to date)
- Roon Server: running on a separate machine (not affected)
- Other clients: iPhone and iPad with Lockdown Mode enabled, working fine
- Network: local LAN, all other services reachable
Steps to reproduce
- Enable Lockdown Mode on the Mac client
- Open Roon → connects to server, streaming works
- Attempt local playback → fails
- Disable Lockdown Mode → local playback works again
What I’ve tried
- Disabling Lockdown Mode (confirms it’s the root cause)
- Verified that iPhone and iPad clients with Lockdown Mode work normally
- Verified all other network services still function on the Mac with Lockdown Mode on
Side note: no need to point out that Lockdown Mode is designed for a specific audience, I’m well aware of what it does. I simply choose to manage my security this way, and I’d love to be able to enjoy my music while doing so. ![]()
Any insight into which macOS-specific protocol or port Lockdown Mode might be blocking for Roon’s local playback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!